May 12th, 2004  
Snauhi

5.45 is more dengures then 5.56 i think
May 12th, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

How is it more dangerous?
May 12th, 2004  
Mark Conley

One more thing i feel needs to be mentioned abot HVM 5.56 and tissue...when one of those bullets hit, as it enters it creates a very high zone of negative pressure behind it. This wake greatly disturbs the sorrounding tissue..creates a very large cavity, and even can break bones in passing.

You hit a person in the right place..they aint getting up.

You hit a person in another area that aint critical...well without proper wound treatment, gas gangrene forms in the cavitated area and you go bye bye...eventally.
--
May 12th, 2004  
SHERMAN

Topic: as

As I said, getting shot is not a treat, no matter the cliber...You can onlytake this "humane" crap so far. As to the saying that the 5.56 is like a 0.22, well thats sort of true, but the 5.56 military rounds have a larger amount of powder pushing them, so really, they are much more leathal.
May 12th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoni
The problem with high velocity low caliber ammo is that it doesn't transfer energy efficiently to the target. That means it either goes right through you, or cuts you up real bad inside, but it takes a relatively long time to do it, so there is little shock value.
The other extreme is something like a .45 ACP, which is slow, but super heavy, and high caliber. When it hits, almost all of it's energy is transfered at once to the target, meaning massive localized damage. this produces shock symptoms faster and more reliably, and that's why it's a "stopper".
It's like the difference between being stabbed or hit with a baseball bat: Both will kill you, but one will knock you on your ass first.
I may be wrong here, but the impact felt by a target would be no greater then the recoil of the gun. Most people that describe being shot find the actually impact no greater then a hard punch.
May 12th, 2004  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
I may be wrong here, but the impact felt by a target would be no greater then the recoil of the gun. Most people that describe being shot find the actually impact no greater then a hard punch.
That may be true for small caliber (high velocity) bullets, but not .45 that Jamoni is talking about...
May 12th, 2004  
RnderSafe

No handgun round is a guaranteed "stopper".
May 12th, 2004  
Redneck

I don't know, Sir, one of my neihbours has a 12 gauge break action pistol that would do someone's business for them pretty regular.
May 13th, 2004  
Adam_Ebola_Koudelka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snauhi
5.45 is more dengures then 5.56 i think
jaeger wolf:yep.it is true.some friends of mine who are in the army told me,that they tested ballistic vests, 5,56 penetrated unproperly front side of the vest and 5.45 penetrated the front side and back side too
May 13th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

That wouldn't make sense, as the 5.45x39 is slower and smaller then the 5.56.

Here's some wound profiles, it show sthe 5.45x39mm doesn't fragment as much as the 5.56mm

http://www.steyrscout.org/terminal.htm