.45 SMG or 9mm SMG?

.45 SMG or 9mm SMG?

• .45 SMG

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • 9mm SMG

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
I chose .45. Cause it is bigger than the 9mm bullet. And I like it cause it involed with .45 colt pistol and Tommy gun.

Its a toss up:

The .45 has a greater stopping power yet has a very slow ROF and a smaller mag due to the weight of the bullet.

The 9mm on the other hand has slightly less stopping power yet it has a higher ROF, it weighs less, and its accuracy is outstanding.

But if I had to chose I would go with the FNP90, even though its not on the list, considering its a 5.7mm.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2953410658987613476&q=p90&pl=true

there is an awesome video of the P90 at work.

It's entirely situational. If you're arming a military or even just a task for within the military, thinking about the single operator versus a single target won't work. It's the same arguement I use to deffend 5.56mm. Using a smaller caliber allows for greater carrying capacity. When going into combat, what if the extra couple of mags a soldier can carry makes the ultimate difference?

Planing for the larger scale, thinking strategically, implies that one plans for most situations rather than trying to cover every single one. Most targets aren't going to shrug off a burst of 9mm in the chest. There are, of course, anecdotal tales of bad guys soaking up smaller caliber rounds and ultimately killing the shooter, but what is the actual percentage of confrontations where this occurs? Is it really large enough to justify working around the shortcomings of the .45 caliber round compared to the 9mm round?

The other side of the coin involves thinking very specifically. Strip away all the details. Think only of gunman, target, and one shot. In that very specific circumstance, .45 is arguably more desireable.

Neither, I'd use the .40 S&W Cartridge.

It's just as powerful as a .45 ACP but you still get the lower recoil and ammo capacity of the 9X19mm.

H&K UMP

Star%20UMP%20Kit.jpg

THE UMP

The renowned hard-hitting performance of the classic .45 ACP cartridge, the more recently developed .40 S&W cartridge, and the compact, lightweight version in 9mm is now available in a truly modern submachine gun from HK -- the UMP. Available as a select-fire submachine gun or semi-automatic only carbine, the HK Universal Machine Pistol was designed especially for American law enforcement and military organizations.

The UMP is a cost-effective, state-of-the-art weapon that offers the user the advantages of light weight, low initial purchase and maintenance costs, uncompromising reliability, modularity for accessory attachment, and precision accuracy with low felt recoil.

hk_ump9.jpg
Ump45=1.jpg

Features:

• Polymer construction for reduced weight and corrosion resistance
• Molded-in hard points for accessory rail attachment
• Can be fired with buttstock folded
• Closed bolt operation ensures excellent accuracy at extended ranges
• Operating controls like those of other HK weapons simplify training
• Cost-effective and low maintenance
• Available as a select-fire submachine gun or semi-automatic only carbine, with a variety of trigger group options including single fire, 0-1-2, NT(Navy) and 0-1-2-full

Specifications:

Caliber - .40 S&W
Magazine Capacity - 30 Rounds
Length -17.72/27.17
Width - 2.5
Height - 11.93
Sight Radius - 12.8
Barrel Length - 7.87
Weight - 4.63LBS
Cyclic Rate - 600 RPM

STAR-HK-UMP-HWeight.jpg

hk_ump40.jpg

Last edited:
Never fired a .45 smg but is it really necessary?
When I've fired 9mm smg's the fire power has always felt more than adequate.
Yes the stopping power of .45 may make adifference when firing a pistol in a combat situation(i.e. only enough time to fire one round) but the ability of a smg to fire multiple shots on one pull of the trigger makes this something that could be traded for that extra ammunition capabilityand controlability.
If a burst of 9mm isnt going to take him out then the weapon selected(SMG) is the incorrect firearm for the job.

MightyMacbeth said:
I see..

so what is better, single shot .45 , semi, or auto?

Depends, if you're defending from cover in close quarters, single (which is semi) is what you want. If you're spraying windows and doorways from across a street, full auto (Thompson) has worked very well.

I'll keep it simple: just give me the mp5 that suffice for me. The French used to have a machinegun which fed the bullets from a clip under a obtuse angle. Most gunners threw it away quickly because it used to jam a lot. Might the angle of the clip not cause this to the UMP as well?

THe angle of the H&Km UMP magazine is not a problem. The weapon system that I think you were talking about was the French MAT 49. The magazine well could actaully fold up towards the barrel during carry or storage. Which seemed like a good idea at the time. Expect what happened is that spring in the magazine well would loose it's stregnth and not be in the proper place to feed ammunition.

mat-49.jpg

Back