.45 caliber handguns

Stafford911

Banned
Other than the Colt 1911 .45 are there any pistols that are of .45 caliber that are still used today or are newer than the 1911

Here's a link to H&K's USP series, which also comes in a .45:

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/handguns/usp.html

You can find many different variants on the 1911/A1, which was/is made by several different arms manufacturers, including Auto-Ordnance and I believe Springfield Arms.

:lol: You got lucky here, I just got my 2005 Gun Guide Buyer's Guide, so here's a list of the .45s:

Les Baer - Wadcutter, Concept Series, Custom, Monolith Series, National Match, Distinguished Match, Open Class, Premier II, Prowler III, Stinger, Swift Response, Thunder Ranch Special Series, Ultimate Master

Beretta - 8000F, 8040F, 8045F, 8357F

Ed Brown - Classic Custom, Executive Elite, Kobra

Colt - Model O Pistols

CZ - 97B

Charles Daly - M-5 Series

EAA - Witness, Witness Gold, P-Series

Glock - 21/21C, 30, 36, 37

H&K - Mk 23, USP45, USP45 Elite/Tactical/Expert/Compact

IMI - SP-21

Kimber - CDP II Series, Compact II, Pro Carry II

And here is where I lost interest, but the answer to your question is, yes, there are a couple other makes of .45 out there. :lol:

Do any of the 1911 variants fix the problems of the original such as the jamming problem and small clip capacity?

I've never heard of the 1911/A1 having a problem with jamming or experienced any problems myself, one of its great selling points has always been its reliability.

As far as magazine capacity goes, aside from extended clips, with a round the size of the .45, there really isn't much you can do to cram more rounds into a handgun.

There are the double stack mags (zigzag), instead of having a single column.

Anybody mention the H&K MK23 Mod.0? Probably one of the more widely known .45ACP handguns in the world.

Sig Arms P220 is or was a 45 caliber used in the military.

Jamming of the 1911A1 is caused by several mishaps.

Stove Pipe is a limp wrist

Ejecting the empty brass, slide is dirty, not enough powder in the casing, incorrect OAL, using bullets other than Hardball ammunition

Although Colt and Springfield were the most common used in the Army, there were other manufactures as well;

Colt 1911 Approximately 2,550, 000 were ordered for WWI and WWII

North American Arms Less Than 100 during 1918

Springfield Armory 30,000 1914 to 1915

U.S. Navy over 31,000 for the Navy 1911 - 1914

U.S. Marine Corps 13,500 for the Marines 1911 - 1913

A.J. Savage Munitions Company Slides Only

1911A1 Colt Approximately 1,643,068 in 1924 -1945

Drake National Match Slides Only

Government National Match Reworks assemble by government armorers all pasts stamped NM

Ithaca Approximately369129 in 1943 - 1945

Union Switch & Signal Approximately 55,000 in 1943

Remington Rand 1,086,624 in 1943 - 1945

Singer Manufacture Company Approximately 500 in 1942

There were several Contracts awarded to EJERCITO MECICANO, Brazilian Contract, Argentine Contract Model 1927

godofthunder9010 said:
Why stop at .45 caliber when you can get bigger with a Desert Eagle?
and why stop there?
when you can get the smith and wessen .500 calibre magnum.
most powerful hand gun in the world.

Precisely. If size is what you crave - you got options man! I like the Desert Eagle myself, but its all user preference. I do beleive the Desert Eagle's largest size is .50 caliber as well according to this site: http://users2.ev1.net/~lertsman/pistols.html

Don't know of anything bigger than .50 ... maybe some of them on that site but I don't know the conversion of mm to caliber to whatever else.

EDIT: Nix that, found a conversion formula. The .50 caliber = 12.7mm

godofthunder9010 said:
Don't know of anything bigger than .50
look up smith and wessen .500 magnum and take a look.
its a kick ass thing. i mean there isnt a larger kick except from an assault rifle.

By all means, link me if you can.

I fail to see the difference between .50 caliber and .500 caliber. They are mathmatically the exact same thing. Obviously that doesn't make the two guns equal because they aren't likely to use the same ammo ... so explain why the Smith and Wesson is better please. BTW, I'm not a big revolver fan.

godofthunder9010 said:
By all means, link me if you can.

I fail to see the difference between .50 caliber and .500 caliber. They are mathmatically the exact same thing. Obviously that doesn't make the two guns equal because they aren't likely to use the same ammo ... so explain why the Smith and Wesson is better please. BTW, I'm not a big revolver fan.
heres one
http://www.gunblast.com/SW_500.htm
and another
[/url]http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors/firearms/2003/9/top_gun[/url]

i think the magnum is larger length ways but not width wise.[/url]

More powder would probably have that affect, yes. I like the longer barrel too. Make a semi-automatic out of that Smith&Wesson and I'm more likely to get one. As I said, revolvers are not really my things. Might rip my arm off ... :lol:

The magnum is just that it contains a high grain in the bullet. That means more powder which means heavier and more kick. I personally don't see the point in having a .50 for a pistol. A 9mm will do the same job as a .45 or .40. The difference being the 9mm has a high velocity round and more control over your second shot.

But since we're talking about .45s here, then it's tough not to mention the HK USP series of handguns. I realize it's been brought up but I'd like mention it again because I like HK :)

BTW, the MK23 is a USP just up to SpecOp specifications. It's more accurate and durable than the stadard USP .45ACP and has a threaded barrel so a silencer can be attached.
mk23open.jpg

Back