40 Reasons to Support Gun Control

The firearms debate to me seems more and more tithing to the greater question of how morally sound and knowledgeable a country's citizenry is.

A citizenry wallowing in social depravity will undoubtedly use firearms to create astounding statistics. A equally knowledgeable population about what firearms are and how they should be handled, coupled with a strong moral fiber can be quite the difference.

In this case, we should be addressing these issues as much as the tool itself.

First let me say that I oppose gun control in the U.S. I am an NRA member for forty years and a gun owner for many decades.
I think the factor of culture is overlooked. America has a violent history. Every inch of ground was once owned by someone else, British, French. Native Americans, Spanish, Mexicans and the first order of business was to take it away from them. Just about everything that the U.S. has it got at gunpoint. In that respect we are no different than several other countries, Britain for example.
The Twentieth Century was the most violent in human history and the U.S. happened to be a nation that benefited from that violence, coming out of the century in a position of great power.
You just have to look at American film, T.V., books to see a culture steeped in violence.
Our neighboring country, Canada does not have violent history because the pattern of settlement was different. Generally, law and order was established in advance of settlement. That didn't happen in the U.S. the country grew faster than the governments ability to establish control and we had, for example, the Wild West.
Personally, I think all of Western civilization is melting down after two World Wars and countless smaller ones. I have no doubt that there will be a nuclear exchange somewhere in the next ten years.
My point is: when you live in a violent place it is a good idea to be able to defend yourself. That is why I legally carry a gun everywhere and there is never a gun beyond arms reach in my home. Call me paranoid, but I was a cop for thirty five years and I saw too many things to believe in the goodness of others.

First let me say that I oppose gun control in the U.S. I am an NRA member for forty years and a gun owner for many decades.
I think the factor of culture is overlooked. America has a violent history. Every inch of ground was once owned by someone else, British, French. Native Americans, Spanish, Mexicans and the first order of business was to take it away from them. Just about everything that the U.S. has it got at gunpoint. In that respect we are no different than several other countries, Britain for example.
The Twentieth Century was the most violent in human history and the U.S. happened to be a nation that benefited from that violence, coming out of the century in a position of great power.
You just have to look at American film, T.V., books to see a culture steeped in violence.
Our neighboring country, Canada does not have violent history because the pattern of settlement was different. Generally, law and order was established in advance of settlement. That didn't happen in the U.S. the country grew faster than the governments ability to establish control and we had, for example, the Wild West.
Personally, I think all of Western civilization is melting down after two World Wars and countless smaller ones. I have no doubt that there will be a nuclear exchange somewhere in the next ten years.
My point is: when you live in a violent place it is a good idea to be able to defend yourself. That is why I legally carry a gun everywhere and there is never a gun beyond arms reach in my home. Call me paranoid, but I was a cop for thirty five years and I saw too many things to believe in the goodness of others.

No offense but I get the impression that you are saying America became wealthy on the death and destruction aspect of firearms therefore we should not have controls because that would affect our wealth which I personally find appalling.

I will back you all the way if you want to sell firearms on the grounds that they are fun, great sport or even interesting but you will never justify a lack of control on the grounds that they will reduce your wealth when we the product in question causes hundreds of thousands of deaths each year.

On a personal note I think you are doing the usual and putting the cart before the horse, you live in a violet world because you have no controls, I live in a much less violent world because we do have controls.

Last edited:
Back