40 civilians killed

--

May 20th, 2004  
hc^patonki

Topic: 40 civilians killed

American troops killed yesterday 40 innocent people (included lots of women and children) who were celebreting weddings in Iraq.
That is what I have been told, but in news they told that U.S army denied that they were civilians and claimed something that they were soldiers or something, is that true? Well anyway they were buried today,and may their souls rest in peace, or something.
Homma taas hoidettu hyvin
May 20th, 2004  
Redneck

They were combatants there, chief. The "wedding celebration" was quite heavily armed and in a strangely remote location. I do like your willingness to believe anything bad about our military, though.

Quote:
"Ten miles from Syrian border and 80 miles from nearest city and a wedding party? Don't be naive," said Marine Maj. Gen. James N. Mattis in Fallujah. "Plus they had 30 males of military age with them. How many people go to the middle of the desert to have a wedding party."

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt said the attack was launched after U.S. forces received "specific intelligence" about foreign fighters slipping into the country. "We sent a ground force in to the location," he told Associated Press Television News. "They were shot at. We returned fire."

U.S. soldiers recovered satellite communications gear, foreign passports and a large amount of Iraqi cash at the site, he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120436,00.html
May 20th, 2004  
hc^patonki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
They were combatants there, chief. The "wedding celebration" was quite heavily armed and in a strangely remote location. I do like your willingness to believe anything bad about our military, though.
Well I didnt say that was the holy truth, I said only what I heard from the news, and like I said they said in the news that U.S military denied that they were civilians, well who knows what is true and what is not. It also looks like that you are willing to believe everything what your military says
--
May 20th, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc^patonki
It also looks like that you are willing to believe everything what your military says
I am far more willing to believe the word of the government and military that have provided stability, unheard of amounts of freedom and protection for myself and my family than I am to believe some backwater, uncredentialed, and more than suspect as far as terrorist sympathies go arab "reporter." (see Al-Jazeera) I have faith in my government and my military, and although they have both made some mistakes recently, these have not been hidden from us or lied about, we have aired our dirty laundry for all the world to see.

Feel free to post your source/s for your information.
May 20th, 2004  
hc^patonki

What I wrote is based in what all finnish tv-networks said in television, I rather like to believe much more to my homelands tv-networks and newspapers which have objective view for news, not like U.S army. but like I said who knows what is true and what is not
Well this is from homepage of one finnish tv-network, hope you understand finnish http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/ulkomaat/...2004/05/217253
May 21st, 2004  
Redneck

No I do not understand Finnish, like I said before I only know enough to get myself in a fight or slapped.

My issue with your original post is that your title and first line pass judgement on us, and you fail to provide any source for your information.
Thank you for the source, although it is incomprehensible to me (and likely most other members), if you have an English-language version of it anywhere, I would greatly appreciate you posting that link as well.
May 21st, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Just a side note.

Hypothetical situation: There's a wedding party in the middle of the night, in a combat zone.

Common sense: Don't start firing thousands of rounds into the air at 3 in the morning.

May 21st, 2004  
Jamoni

Quote:
Just a side note.

Hypothetical situation: There's a wedding party in the middle of the night, in a combat zone.

Common sense: Don't start firing thousands of rounds into the air at 3 in the morning.
Yup. Evolution in action, right there. Strangely, no one fired any guns in the air at MY wedding... or at ANY WEDDING I HAVE EVER BEEN TO OR HEARD ABOUT. Sounds like either b******t or astounding dumb-assery to me.
May 21st, 2004  
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoni
Strangely, no one fired any guns in the air at MY wedding... or at ANY WEDDING I HAVE EVER BEEN TO OR HEARD ABOUT. Sounds like either b******t or astounding dumb-assery to me.

Yeah, where I'm from we usually have weddings to PREVENT gunfire. Shotgun wedding hooah.
May 21st, 2004  
Mark Conley

Yhdysvaltain asevoimat ilmoittaa tutkivansa syytteet, joiden mukaan amerikkalaisjoukkojen tulituksessa olisi eilen kuollut kymmeniä hääjuhliin osallistuneita siviilejä.

Wow, its not your mother's finnish anymore! (Just joking HC^Patonki: could you give us a rough translation of the above caption in english? I already tried Babel Fish, but I couldnt find Finn to English... )

Thats a serious jawbreaker language you have there. Just from looking at this part of the Finnish news site you posted, that photo caption uses so many words that appear to be a combination of three and four subwords put together that you could go crazy trying to figure it out if you werent Finnish, or possibly German.

I got to admire anyone that can at least speak two languages.

Course, the media that produced the picture for the caption was really going for as much attention as they could get. I guess he is carrying a dead child. My sympathys are for children: they only do what we adults teach and tell them to do.

I do have to question why anyone would want to fire in the air, even if it is their custom to do that to celebrate, especially if a bunch of soldiers and helicopters show up.