4,000 PLA troops to southern Sudan

rock45

I had no idea China had that many troops in Sudan does China has fighters operating too?

Quote (on page 4 or near the end)
China has also deployed about 4,000 PLA troops to southern Sudan to guard an oil pipeline and recently reaffirmed its intention to strengthen military collaboration and exchanges with Ethiopia, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sudan.
Link to story
http://www.tribune.com.ng/19122007/Midweek.html

China is being smart by using this as a practice session for deploying overseas... something that may be used in future for force projection in the Southeast Asia region. China realizes it will have to have its land forces ready for operations far away from China and that can meet the requirements along with a Blue Water navy they've got coming along. Then they got themselves the strategic reach they've always wanted.
Not to mention, the Chinese practically depend on the UN to uplift its legitimacy in the eyes of the international community. With the US not doing so well in this field, the Chinese have been presented with a great opportunity.
I don't know if they've got actual combat units deployed for combat missions but I guess we'll hear about that soon enough.

Oil needs

Would it bother other African countries if China brought there troop total up to 10,000? There are no big players left in Africa what if, say in five or eight years from now those totals topped off at 30,000 troops? Mix in a squadron or two of fighters plus tankers & AWACS, then a small group of naval ships of course to protect the tankers traffic, nice touch. At what point do warning lights go off, it just makes me think of the future a little.

Would France or other European countries support Chad if Chad and Sudan started a shooting war? I think central (east and west coast) and parts northern Africa has a chance of being the next Middle East not on the same scale but close in ways.

China is being smart by using this as a practice session for deploying overseas... something that may be used in future for force projection in the Southeast Asia region. China realizes it will have to have its land forces ready for operations far away from China and that can meet the requirements along with a Blue Water navy they've got coming along. Then they got themselves the strategic reach they've always wanted.
Not to mention, the Chinese practically depend on the UN to uplift its legitimacy in the eyes of the international community. With the US not doing so well in this field, the Chinese have been presented with a great opportunity.
I don't know if they've got actual combat units deployed for combat missions but I guess we'll hear about that soon enough.

And just how do they have a strategic reach, they are not even close to achieving that goal and will not be in a position to be even remotely recognized as a strategic super power for at least a few decades.
A few thousand troops here and there will not get that type of recognition.

Would it bother other African countries if China brought there troop total up to 10,000? There are no big players left in Africa what if, say in five or eight years from now those totals topped off at 30,000 troops? Mix in a squadron or two of fighters plus tankers & AWACS, then a small group of naval ships of course to protect the tankers traffic, nice touch. At what point do warning lights go off, it just makes me think of the future a little.

Would France or other European countries support Chad if Chad and Sudan started a shooting war? I think central (east and west coast) and parts northern Africa has a chance of being the next Middle East not on the same scale but close in ways.

If China is smart then they will most certainly establish a good relationship and presence in Africa, they will not solely rely on Russia for oil or natural gas.

Presence in Africa

I agree China currently doesn't have the means to deploy 30,000, 40,000 combat troops quickly to Africa. Sending 20 to 30 cargo ships per year not a impossible feat to Sudan could build up there forces over a period of time. What stops China from being Africa's police sort of if the United States doesn't have a strong presents there? They seem to be getting there foot in the door in many countries there while former European governments lose more and more power and interests in Africa. I'm sure the United States has major investments in Africa overall but I don't see us as a major power player there, were just spread too thinly around the world. Strategically I see China in Africa getting in our way ten years from now by becoming a blocking force between the United States and Middle East oil. If air bases were built in eastern Sudan, Eritrea, and Ethiopia, were equipped with future J-10s, J-11, and JH-7 attack jets most of the Middle East oil deposits oil producing countries would be IN range. I'm not saying China going to attack the oil producing countries in the Middle East tomorrow but in the future they might be on the western door step to the Middle East.

Back