That 38 Year Deserter V2.

WilsonMatthewDavid

I figured some rational conversation could still be had about this deserter who is going to be brought back to America soon..

For those of you who don't know about this, there is limited data in the first one:Here

I really don't want to hear how you think he should die, how he should be tortured, or anything of the sort, also.. Please avoid cursing as it might get us locked like the previous one.

Simply say in a simple, and calm manner if you think he should get the death penalty or not, and if his Japaneese wife should be allowed to be there in his last moments.

Once again, I'm asking very nicely for you all to keep your civil manners, act as if a ten year old was in the room reading as you type, Would you? I asked for RedNeck's permission on this, and he said Okay as long as you all keep it good and well mannered.
-----
Facts said:
The Japanese government has arranged for a US Korean War Deserter who has lived in N. Korea for some 40 years to have a reunion with his Japanese wife in Jakarta. The former soldier did not want to leave N. Korea to a country where he could be extradited back to the US to face charges.
~
For those of you who don't know, Jenkins -- 38 or so years ago, abandonded America during the N. Korean war, and now he is going to be extracted to be put on trial for cowardous in a United States Military Court.
~
Koizumi raised the issue with President Bush last month and got sympathy but no concessions.

Secretary of State Colin Powell was also firm.

"The Japanese are approaching this as a humanitarian issue and we understand and accept that," he told reporters, but added: "Sgt. Jenkins is, of course, a deserter from the U.S. Army and those charges remain outstanding."

Little is known about what Jenkins' life in North Korea consisted of, or his exact motives for his 1965 defection from a unit near the Demilitarized Zone dividing the peninsula. Apparently he taught English and played an American villain in government propaganda movies. Soga, whom he met when she was a student in his English class, was 20 years his junior, when they married.

-----

Personally, I think it's quite a bit too late to punish him, but he did abandon this country when it needed all the soldiers it could get, so I think Jail Time, as opposed to the more customary death is appropriate, but since they probably will put him to death, I think his wife should be allowed to be there in the final moments.

Simple run him throught the process, see what happens, and if convicted send him to a military jail. There's nothing unique about this situation that would warrant special treatment under UCMJ.
A trial costs what a trial costs...the JAG picks up the tab and cost should not be weighed against the criminality of a trial.

If the guy was samrt he would plead out...the evidence against him seems overwhelming.

Leave him alone.

How about many German soldiers who abandoned Nazi Germany and Hitler and went to fight with allies against Nazi's? Aren't those Germans brave people or cowards?

Man you should ask this old gentelman why he abandoned USA.

Some people here say that they will do whatever the commander asks him to do? So how about if your commander ordered you to shoot down your family members or to kill the babies of the wives of the enemy soldiers? It is called war crime man.

Think about it first, before run into conclusion too fast.

FlyingFrog said:
Leave him alone.

How about many German soldiers who abandoned Nazi Germany and Hitler and went to fight with allies against Nazi's? Aren't those Germans brave people or cowards?

Some people here say that they will do whatever the commander asks him to do? So how about if your commander ordered you to shoot down your family members or to kill the babies of the wives of the enemy soldiers? It is called war crime man.

Good Point, if my Commanding officer ordered me to shoot my family -- I'd shoot him first.

;|

FlyingFrog said:
Leave him alone.

So are you trying to accuse the United States of war crimes in the Korean War?

Redneck said:
FlyingFrog said:
Leave him alone.

LOL, I was going to say.........

Interesting side note.

There were months of haggling over how to properly and fairly mark each side's military lines, but the main issue that prolonged the negotiations was the disposition of the many prisoners of war (POWs) on both sides. The North Koreans had maltreated many American and allied POWs, harshly depriving them and subjecting many to political thought reform that was decried as "brainwashing" in the United States. In the South's POW camps, a virtual war ensued over repatriation. About one-third of North Korean POWs and a much larger percentage of Chinese POWs did not want to return to Communist control, prompting struggles among pro-Communists and anti-Communists. Meanwhile South Korea refused to sign any armistice that would keep Korea divided, and the South's Syngman Rhee sought to hinder the talks by abruptly releasing thousands of North Korean POWs who did not want to return home. The United States decided Rhee could not be trusted and developed plans to remove him in a coup d'état. The coup was never carried out.

Damien435 said:
He better not be accusing my Grandpa of taking part in War Crimes, I don't think any crimes were comitted on either side of the war, I call Korea the last "true" war, fought with honor and valor on either side, it is like my grandpa said "Wars are so much different now than when I fought, back then we knew who the enemy was, we did not have to worry about someone sticking a gun out a window and shooting us in the back."

And don't try to question my little quote, my Grandpa experienced Korea first hand, that is straight form someone who was actually there, not like these Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, who were not there and do not know what happened.

Two things.

#1: How would you know what a "true" war is like? You should be careful making such broad statements, especially ones concerning valour and honour.

#2: What does this have to do with the topic? Get back on it, or this thread will be locked like the last one.

GuyontheRight said:
Fish, would you be upset If a PLA soldier left China it's In moment of need?

Yes I would be upset at THE MOMENT when he did that, but after a while, especially after more than 30 years, I would let him alone, I will try to think why he did it.

I don't know how you get into this point. Or you think USA committed war crimes in Korea?

Finally:
I don't think this ex-American soldier is coward, he is way too special among the majority us troops in Korea, he really got the gut to make that decision.

Great, that's just what I need on my behalf, another troublesome post/thread to get even more Moderators to hate me.
-Back On Topic-
Really, now that I think about it, it truly does seem childish to kill him now, I mean... Sure, he ran away, Sure.. He played parts in Anti-American, Korean Military Propaganda Movies, but it's also been thirty years, and he now has a family, I think he should just be left there, and if he makes the mistake of coming here.. THEN we can punish him...
-Off Topic-
Maybe this thread's revival was a bad idea after all...

So let me see if I understand, what most are saying is if you get away with something long enough it's ok?

Look the simple answer is treat this as any other situation, once we start making exceptions to the rule for this or that...then next thing you know it's not worth having the rules at all.

SOT_II said:
So let me see if I understand, what most are saying is if you get away with something long enough it's ok?

Look the simple answer is treat this as any other situation, once we start making exceptions to the rule for this or that...then next thing you know it's not worth having the rules at all.

Personally I don't know what to do, should we be cold and unfeeling to an ederly man with a family and a wife and a serious medical condition, I hope not.

I think we obey the laws, and follow them to their course. Yes he has a family and has enjoyed some form of freedom because he violated the law and was not caught.

So again to follow this out, lets say we catch someone today who has recently done something similar, should we let them go free because not to would deny them the potential for a family and wife?

What people are missing is that he has a family and wife because he broke the law and got away with it. To this end he knew what he was doing, he flaunted what he was doing, was even a propaganda tool. He was healthy and without family when he broke the law, so what has happened since really is of no issue.

LeatherNeckRVA said:
SOT_II said:

Personally I don't know what to do, should we be cold and unfeeling to an elderly man with a family and a wife and a serious medical condition, I hope not.

If a Naval officer can give aid and comfort and be instrumental in the fall of a country to communism, commit treason( as defined by the Constitution,) and now thirty some years later be running for the "Commander in Chief" of the United States Armed Forces. :x :x :x

Then maybe, just maybe one soldier who caused no harm to his comrades should be forgiven a minor indiscretion(in comparison) and allowed to live out his life in peace with shame. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

DO NOT remove any edits we put on your posts without first PMing one of the moderators or the admin. Do so again, and you will be removed from this site. RnderSafe

Back