33, internally struggling with the decision to join

Grasshopper

Long boring story short, I'm 33, in great shape, Healthy, and sane. I've been interested in joining the military since i was 15. even chose the Marines for my first job fair. Had a child at a very young age and told myself I wouldn't risk parenthood while he was still an adolescent, he's 16 now, and I'm thinking about joining everyday. Full disclosure I'm nervous, scared, and apprehensive especially considering our current state. Is there a place for me in the military? Looking to hear from men and women who are there. What say you?

It depends on your prospects if you don't enlist. The military can offer job training, educational benefits, medical care. If you don't have any of those things and aren't likely to get them, and you have someone to care for your son while you are absent, it might be a good deal for you.
I attended my son's basic training graduation years ago, and there was one guy in the class who had his wife and three kids in attendance. However, he had previously worked in a technical field that was needed.
If you look down the road and see nothing great in your future, you may want to take the plunge, assuming the branch of service you are interested in will take you.

Back