31st MEU Questions

Tovarish1

We all know the USMC has MEU's for rapidly forward deployable quick reaction forces. But out of the seven MEU's that exist within the USMC, what makes the 31st MEU special operations capable? Isn't it just like any other MEU with regular grunts? Or is there a special indoc / selection process to join the 31st MEU? :salute:

Any MEU can de designated a MEU-SOC (or SOC-MAU back in the day) it's a matter of the MEU receiving the training to reach the SOC designation prior to deploying. Consists of various operations and qualifications above and beyond normal amphib op's and is done at the unit level. Most MEU's at one time or another are SOC qualed 11th and 26th are the MEU-SOC for the Pacific and Atlantic respectivly and 31st is the Deployed MEU-SOC.

SOC-MEU is basically a Bn Landing Team (BLT) specially trained to get the SOC designation. The unit is designated as such not individual Marines.

0300 -Basic Infantry

0311- Rifleman

0331- Machine Gunner

0341- Mortar man

0351- Anti-tank assaultman

0352- Anti-Tank wire guided assaultman (TOW Gunner)

0321- Recon Marine

0317- Sniper (new designator)

MEU'S are a forward deployed ready force. FAST is assigned to the fleet for security.

Yeah. Say that 1st Bn 3rd Marines is assigned to 31st MEU along with attachments (Arty, Tanks, Engineers, AAV's, Recon Etc) The Unit is collectively 31st MEU -SOC.

Oh so I can enlist as 0311 (for example) and ask to be stationed in Okinawa, Japan (because that's obviously where the 31st is) and because I'm a rifleman in Japan, I'll automatically be with the 31st?

Only if your Bn the BLT for the MEU. It generally rotates thru a Regt. at 6 month intervals.

Oh. Well because I wanna be assigned to a MEU. Then maybe later go Recon. Enlist as 0311 for more hands on experience if that's possible?

It's possible but since 0321 has opened as an enlistment, INDOC can be restricted at times.

lol Yeah. There's always a catch when you try and join those special operations/ special forces type units lol. Noticed you had the MOS 0369. What are the requirements for that?

What's the washout rate of the Infantry Unit Course. PS I appreciate all the quick responses you're the real deal gunny.

Man all these MOS's make me nervous. All these people say don't be worried about washing out but that's pretty much all I'm worried about but I'm pretty confident for now. I'm guessing that mid-late 30's I'll be SSgt...

Don't worry about, it ain't nothing 10's of thousands haven't done before you, it's not impossible just keep your head on.

Yeah. But isn't there a special selection process for sergeants? Because later I'm thinking about 0369.

That comes much, much later so there isn't much use thinking about that too much. Just envision where you might want to be then and make sure the steps you're taking now won't jeapordize it. Beyond that, it's a waste of time because you really can't tell what's going to happen between now and then.

Back