303 British Small Arms Ammunition.

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
The old Mk7 303 ball ammunition introduced in 1910 was one of the most deadly type ever issued to any army. The bullet or projectile was constructed so that the front 3rd of the bullet was filled with a lighter material such as aluminium, and the rear 2/3rd lead. In flight the bullet was stable, but as soon as the bullet hit tissue it tumbled causing massive wounding. Although the round was legal as far as the Hague Convention was concerned, it really didn't comply with the spirit of the convention.

I have a number of .303 in the collection. A US Savage made Enfield No 4 MK I, a Martini Enfield, A SMLE MK III, and a Lee Metford.

Fun cartridge to shot and load. Great Deer/Hog cartridge. Can take the majority of game in the lower 48.

I have a number of .303 in the collection. A US Savage made Enfield No 4 MK I, a Martini Enfield, A SMLE MK III, and a Lee Metford.

Fun cartridge to shot and load. Great Deer/Hog cartridge. Can take the majority of game in the lower 48.

The 303 British has taken more game in Africa then any other round, including elelphant by a British ivory hunter W.D.M. Bell using a 215 grain bullet, reference :-THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER by Bell W.D.M

Not a round I'd use for a highly annoyed jumbo.

I've got a few Lee Enfields, a Number4 Mk1/2, a Number4 Mk2, and two Number1 Mk3*. My son has got a pristine Number1 Mk3 with magazine cut off, built by BSA in 1918. All in original condition, except one which was re-blacked and the wood varnished by the previous owner, as it wasnt totally original I fitted a 3-9X40 scope. Very accurate.

Guys, by .303, do they mean the radius of the base of the ammo in millimeters or is it something else?

Guys, by .303, do they mean the radius of the base of the ammo in millimeters or is it something else?

The measurement .303 is imperial or inch measurement. The actual bullet diameter is usually .311 of an inch. From memory .303 is land measurement, while grove diameter is .311

Confusing I know, but take 38 Specal for example,the bullet diameter is 357, or 44 Magnum is actually.429

Yeah I started becoming aware of those as of late... wonder why their names are so misleading.

Sounds better. Rounding off the number is just easier.

.38 S&W Special sounds better then .357 S&W Special. .44 Remington Magnum sounds better then .429 Remington Magnum.

Yeah but the round offs aren't always right, that's the problem.
I was reading about different types of ammunition and that's what I noticed. Even if you rounded it, it's still actually not right.

7.62x39

A few years ago I had a load of Russian 7.62x39 125 grain FMJ in steel cases, I pulled the bullets from the cases and for reference I measured the diameter, which turned out to be .311 the same as the .303. I decided to try loading the bullets into 303 cases, I worked out a powder load and tested for MV and accuracy in my scoped Lee Enfield Number1 Mk3*.

I was getting an average 2900 FPS at the muzzle for 2334 ft pounds of energy with no high pressure signs, accuracy was pretty good out to 300 yards, feeding from the magazine was flawless. I didnt carry out any further testing, I could have developed something interesting if I had the time. One thing to remember, the US made 7.62x39 for the Ruger MINI 30 version, the bullet diameter may not be .311, but .308.

Savage U.S. Property marked .303 British Enfield

I have one of these rifles. My question is does anyone know of any U.S. made and marked military ammunition in .303 British caliber that might have been produced when the rifles were made? Thanks for any information you may have. Best Wishes!

I have one of these rifles. My question is does anyone know of any U.S. made and marked military ammunition in .303 British caliber that might have been produced when the rifles were made? Thanks for any information you may have. Best Wishes!

Winchester made ammunition for the British during WW2, unfortunately the brass was too thin, when fired in the BREN, the case could bend. The ammunition was declared safe only in Lee Enfield rifles.

United States Cartridge Co, Lowell, Mass., USA made nitro-cellulose loaded .303 Ball Mk 7 cartridges during 1914 - 1917.

Winchester Repeating Arms Co., New Haven, Conn., USA. Known to have made nitro-cellulose loaded .303 cartridges for 1914 - 1917 military contracts as... B, and Mk 7.
During WW2... B, Mk 7Z (Contract Pattern),Scott multiball (duplex) and 180 gr jacketed soft point sporting Ammunition.

WCC
Western Cartridge Co., East Alton, Ill., USA. Known to have produced nitro-cellulose loaded .303 cartridges in... B, Mk 7Z (WW2 Contract Pattern).

I have 2 of these weapons 1 original with bionnet and 1 sport made, both 1918 lee Enfield guns. I have fired all most all types of 303 rounds the only ones i could find is British made and south African haven't found any US made rounds after ww1 and ww2 but there is Israel ammo that is very good for the 303 made for medium range 303 sniper rifles that is still used.

If .303 were cheaper than 7.62x54R around here I'd definitely own a No. 4 Mk. I instead of my Mosin. That's my favorite WW2 bolt-action.

Back