300 - the one about spartans

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Is it just me or does it seem like an excellent motivational movie for soldiers? I think it's got the sort of mentality that has somewhat gone the way of the dodo.
Ironically made by Hollywood.

What.... running around in speedo trunks, shaving your chest? It is motivating something, but that isn't allowed in the army yet. Or did you mean that part about self sacrifice?

Motivational. Definately had a few good lines like the 'we'll fight in the shade', or 'this is sparta' etc. Though the 'only spartan women give birth to real men' line would seem you might say er...maybe more motivational for the ladies that one hey. Anyways then, what it could well be considered also as is a fine good chick flick, really....no....really.....no seriously....well ok, except for all those painted on abs, they could have been more like a 'motivated' soldier's abs...REAL! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I would say this applies more for sports than warfare these days. Throwing yourself at the enemy doesn't work so well these days, but for motivating the team to make a big defensive stop 300 makes for a great movie.

The Spartans didn't wildly throw themselves at their enemies. They used the terrain to make maximum use of their strengths and deny the enemy their strengths. In terms of spirit, it's a great motivational film.

Great commraderie too. To all stay and die together to protect Greece, considering that they were always warring with each other.... a big call.
Like to see Gates of Fire made into a movie.

Still stick to my theory that it works great for football or rugby but horrible for soldiers. Getting pumped up also means an adrenaline high and guys do some stupid **** when the adrenaline is flowing. We want smart soldiers, not some dumb hired muscle.

I'd agree with you if the movie were far, far more realistic. The courage and teamwork of the Spartans is a great example, but 300 is literally a comic book.

Yeah obviously dramatized but it's the sort of inspiration we need. The model is always more idealistic than the finished product but the model is close to perfect because that's the way it serves its purpose.
Yes it's originally a comic book but its inspiration came from a mixture of actual events.

Motivational aspects of 300

The movie was motivational. The high ideals of brotherhood and fighting a losing battle against a tough and determined enemy are rampant. This is a great movie for demonstrating that sometimes there are things greater than the individual and they are in fact worth fighting and if necessary dieing for.

Starship Troopers comes to mind. I'm paraphrasing here...

"A Citizen (insert soldier here) :biggun:fights to protect the body politic (insert society here) , defending it with his life, a civilian (insert cake eater here) :hide: does not."

I would like a remake of the Spartan deffense ar Thermopyle in 480 BC. The movie 300 Spartans just doesn't do it for me.

It should be based of the book Gates of Fire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...102-4629744-2424955?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

There is much action when 300 spartans and a few thousand of their allies hold off an army of 1 million for 7 days. The book also goes into detail about Spartan training. It makes basic training look a class on being sensitive.
you are correct on that

"Although extraordinary valor was displayed by the entire corps of the Spartans and Thespians, yet the bravest of all was declared the Spartan Dienekes. It is said that on the eve of battle, he was told by a native of Trachis that the Persian archers were so numerous that, when they fired their volleys, the mass of arrows blocked out the sun. Dienekes, however, quite undaunted by this prospect, remarked with a laugh, "Good. Then we'lkl have our battle in the shade."

Quote from Herodotus that is in the begining of the book

with my ramblings from a previous thread, I will say was completely disappointed with the movie 300. All the dramatics and fake graphics should've been left out. Read Gates of Fire and you will understand where I am coming from.

I'd agree with you if the movie were far, far more realistic. The courage and teamwork of the Spartans is a great example, but 300 is literally a comic book.

I agree with your assessment and I might ad that i have read the occasional comic book which seemed more realistic.

The battle of Thermopyelae was the classic example of what a small force of well trained soldiers could do with excellent terrain which favoured the defender. None of this was really brought up in the movie er moving comic book.

Don't forget the spartans ideology was not so different from the NAZI idea of perfect warriors and men/ women- killing disabled ppl after birth and so on. I wouldn't be so easy with a positive judgement on the spartans, they were certainly cruel as well... but i must confess my knowledge about sparta is limited- i liked the movie though... but in their society i would not have survived for long (need for optic help--> lame warrior in sparta--> death most likely), same possibly for some of you...

Actually that's a pretty good observation.
I noticed it with the part where the Spartans treated their prisoners so nicely by turning them into parts of their wall and stabbing the rest to death. It's considered "cool" and "hard core" if they do it but yet water boarding is considered absolutely cruel beyond any circumstance.
Yep. Would have found myself thrown over a cliff at the age of 8 or something.

What is, to my mind, relevant is the use of old values: honor, loyality, comradship and so on...- these values are once again trendy- I wonder why ^^

The Spartans conquered their neighbours and turned them into slaves. The Spartans were there not fighting for democracy as most people think, an Athenian system, but for their own survival. Which is not to take anything away from them, excellent soldiers but pure bastards in most other things.

Back