300 ---can anyone guess what this movie will be about?

This actual battle has come up quite a bit in our English class, and I think the film will be worth seeing.

Not if Holywood has anything to do with it.
I am guessing it will be a moralistic pile of crap that will end in Leonidis waking up at the end from a dream sequence.

Sparta wasn't much of a city, little more than a village if memory serves me correct, yet the trailor shows some rather ornate buildings in the background.

I am going to watch this movie, but only for entertainment not for any correct historical accurate portrayal. I mean it is a movie based on the novel by Frank Miller, and you never see his name mentioned with other scholars on the subject.

Nope. They were not. You know nothing about Persians, I guess.

The Persians of the Ancient Times are viewed as evil by the west because we are more closely related to the Greeks than the Persians, much of western society is based on the accomplishments of the Greek city states, especially Athens. It is only natural then that historians in the west would look upon the Greeks as being the "good" guys and the Persians as being the "bad" guys. Same situation as the Germans in WWI being labeled as evil. They fought war the same way as the British, French and Americans yet somehow they were evil and we were the righteous hand of god sent to smack them down. (Did I go a bit overboard on that one?) Since the Greeks and Persians were fighting wars on and off for centuries it is only natural that they should despise each other, and when the Greeks were considered to be the most enlightened of people it should be no surprise that their hatred of the Persians was passed down through the years since their pupils believed everything they said to be an absolute truth.

The Persians of the Ancient Times are viewed as evil by the west because we are more closely related to the Greeks than the Persians, much of western society is based on the accomplishments of the Greek city states, especially Athens. It is only natural then that historians in the west would look upon the Greeks as being the "good" guys and the Persians as being the "bad" guys. Same situation as the Germans in WWI being labeled as evil. They fought war the same way as the British, French and Americans yet somehow they were evil and we were the righteous hand of god sent to smack them down. (Did I go a bit overboard on that one?) Since the Greeks and Persians were fighting wars on and off for centuries it is only natural that they should despise each other, and when the Greeks were considered to be the most enlightened of people it should be no surprise that their hatred of the Persians was passed down through the years since their pupils believed everything they said to be an absolute truth.

Not really. You view ancient Persia as evil because the history of that era is written by biased Greek historians who hated Persia.

Unfortunately, our (Iranian side) records of Greek/Roman encounters with Persia eradicated by Arabs 1400 yrs ago when they invaded Iran and conquered the land...

Whats your or any one's source to call persia an evil empire? Herodotus is one of the biggest liars of all ages and he is known for manipulating historical facts such as lashing of the sea by Xerxes I

You know water, fire and sun were so sacred for Persians that they didnt desecrate or abuse them and this notion that Persia was evil and barbarian was due to their hatred towards the persian empire and their jealousy for the persian's accomplishments.

Last edited:
Phoenix, in case you missed the nuance... when I called the Persians evile I was joking. Good and evil are biased terms that are completely dependant on one's point of view. It has been quite interesting to watch people try to explain and justify their prejudice though. :)

Come on phoenix80, it's just a hollywood action flick. Nothing from hollywood is about the truth anyways. If that was the case, why is Michael Moore is making films and just still alive?

I view Frank Miller's 300 has another good Comic Book to movie Film. That's what it is based on. The Vertigo Comic "300". Also I see it as a sequal to Gladiator. Which had some kick as fights in it.

Do you need a hug?

PS - Ancient Persia and Ancient Greece both hated each other. They always say that history is written by the victor. Ancient Persia was well advanced for their time.

Come on phoenix80, it's just a hollywood action flick. Nothing from hollywood is about the truth anyways. If that was the case, why is Michael Moore is making films and just still alive?

I view Frank Miller's 300 has another good Comic Book to movie Film. That's what it is based on. The Vertigo Comic "300". Also I see it as a sequal to Gladiator. Which had some kick as fights in it.

Do you need a hug?

PS - Ancient Persia and Ancient Greece both hated each other. They always say that history is written by the victor. Ancient Persia was well advanced for their time.

The question is: Will you spend your hard earned dollar on Michael Moore's movies?
No, thank you. I don't need a hug. :cheers:

I could use a beer. :)

I have a 24 pack of Yuengling. America's Oldest beer still in production.

yuengling.jpg

Come on over, have one and chill out.
http://www.thebackpacker.net/worldbeers/yuengling_1723_worldbeers.htm

Yingling is like coors lite I could never understand why people love that stuff so much. Hoppdevil is damn good though.

Back