The 30 mm gun in the A10

LeEnfield

I came across this picture of the gun that is mounted in the USA Airforce plane the A10, I thought that you also might like to see the size of it.

A10s30mmCannon.jpg

The base I used to work at had them flying all the time. The sound they make is amazing. You can feel it in your bones. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. It's probably the most intimidating sound there is.

Last edited:
Nice.. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd3tUg6Dj1Y"]YouTube - A10 's cannon GAU 8A Seven-Barrel, 30mm, Gatling Gun[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oc-xbpy-OI"]YouTube - US Pilot Testing The GAU-8 Avenger Gatling Gun[/ame]

Fully loaded GAU-8 cannon has twice the weight of a 1967 VW Beetle!
The GAU-8 cannon was well under design when the two prototype aircraft, when the Northrop YA-9 and the Fairchild Republic YA-10 started their designs for the prototypes.
I also find it interesting the A-9, A-10 and Su25... three aircraft with the same mission with entirely different design approaches.

I'd love to see a 3 barrel 120mm rotating smooth bore platform on a tracked chasis or naval vessel....

Just think the 30mm sounds intimidating....now try the 120.....

Sure won't be thousands of rounds a minute but hey...

You have to picture that next to a Peterbilt however...

I'd love to see a 3 barrel 120mm rotating smooth bore platform on a tracked chasis or naval vessel....

Just think the 30mm sounds intimidating....now try the 120.....

Sure won't be thousands of rounds a minute but hey...

You have to picture that next to a Peterbilt however...

120mm Gatling gun...*drool*

Could you imagine the sound of the chain clcying through?....

And those casings hitting the deck? Clunk Clunk Clunk ......

It would bring new meaning to Mr. Redleg's title "The fire is everything" :D...lol

Even if I can't build it in my backyard, makes for a great A-Team episode.

Bloody hell, I thought that thing was the plane!!

Actually, the a/c is built around it indeed.

As for having those on wing pylons as somebody else mentioned, make your own calculations about the stress on the wing structure and how to overcome it.... :)

Rattler

Back