The 3-Minute Interview: Linda Davidson

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Examiner
April 11, 2008 By Dan Genz
Linda Davidson is the co-founder of Our Military Kids, a McLean-based nonprofit organization delivering grants of $500 or less to the children of National Guard members and Army reservists serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Pentagon honored Davidson and co-founder Gail Kruzel this week for distributing more than $1 million in the last three years.
How did you get involved in this project?
I was setting up another project dealing with military families that gave me the occasion to speak to spouses of deployed National Guardsmen. They shared the stories of the difficulties they were having with their children.
Why provide small grants to children for activities like youth sports?
We started this program in the hopes that the child can begin something new so they can get engaged in things that serve as a distraction when Mommy or Daddy are gone.
How do the grants make a difference?
It’s interesting how the parent who is not there shares the child’s experience. Children learning karate or piano, they really take pride in sharing their progress in that, and the child is very proud when Daddy comes home and they can come to a recital or tournament.
Do you have any family in the military?
I do not, and that’s part of the reason why I’m doing what I’m doing. My family has been very blessed, and the only way we’ve been affected by 9/11 are the longer lines at the airport. When I was speaking with these families, I was thinking how thankful we were that we have families who are willing to make huge sacrifices.
Do the kids appreciate the grants?
Absolutely. It’s easy for parents to tell our children you’re making a sacrifice, but to have somebody, a national organization removed from the family, recognize them for the service they’re doing for our country means a lot to them.

Back