3-1 1-3 is it still relevent?

SHERMAN

the toppic id like to bring up is defender to attacker ratios. the classic military doctorines always said that tactically to have a chance at victory, the attacker needs roughly 3 times the force of the attacked.

now with all of the new technology, is that still relevent?

on the one side, a small defending force can use precision guided weapons t o devestate an oncoming assault. on the other hand, with todays stand off and recon capabilities the attacker can locate and attack defending units precisely and destroy them from afar, before the defender even knows the offence is comming...what do you guys think?

It's probably no longer relevant, as you pointed out, mostly due to technological differences. Technology has really become a decisive factor as it contributes to better firepower, intelligence, logistics, communications, command and of course defense! Geography, training/experience and resource superiority are also important variables.

But again, no, I don't think the 3-1/1-3 thing is relevant anymore. It's more like 'who's gotten faster chip' nowadays.

Look at Israel, for example. Israelis are vastly outnumbered and geographically surrounded by Arabs, who has more natural resources too but yet in a war --and I mean no offense to the Arabs-- Israel can (and have indeed) still own them hands down! That speaks volumes about how important the technological edge really is.

that is true but the idf manages to achive 3-1 and 1-3 by using operative manuvers, leaving areas covered lightly by defence and attacking wit htactical numerical superiority.

that is true but the idf manages to achive 3-1 and 1-3 by using operative manuvers, leaving areas covered lightly by defence and attacking wit htactical numerical superiority.

Ah, I didn't know that, very clever.

I also think Israel owes its superiority in part to better intelligence. Mossad is really world renowned and is up there with CIA, FSB and the rest of other top world class agencies.

Sherman,

I read an article in TIME magazine a few weeks ago, about a female ex-Mossad agent running for the prime minister's position or something? I forgot her name, maybe you can remind me.

Ariel Sharon was also ex-Mossad if I'm not mistaken?

Back