2nd largest armor battle........

pyromedic89

Kursk/WW2 of course was the largest, I can't seem to find any information on a armor battle that occured during either the 6 day war or yom kippur war, at Wadi Marbruk ? I believe the Israeli tankers achieved a impressive victory, any information appreciated.

The 2nd largest armoured battle would have taken place in the ground war of 'Desert Storm' in 1991 I would have thought.

I believe I found what I was looking for, the battle for the golan heights, at the onset of the syrian advance, they had 1500 tanks...2 tank divisions and 3 tank brigades, the defending israeli's had 170 tanks between 2 tank bridages. In one action, 100 tanks of the Israeli 7th armored brigade was able to hold off and eventually destroy over 500 syrian tanks, here's the lazy mans copy and paste.......

In the northern sector, the 7th Brigade, under the command of Col. Avigdor Ben-Gal, was holding the attack between Masada and Kuneitra, starting off with a force of some 100 tanks. They faced the Syrian 7th Infantry Division with support from parts of the 3rd Armored Division, a force numbering approximately 500 tanks in addition to other armored vehicles. By the afternoon of Tuesday, October 9, Syrian tanks had broken through the Israeli lines and each Israeli tank was desperately defending itself. Things were completely disorganized; the 7th Brigade was separated in the midst of the oncoming Syrian forces. In the meantime, battalion commander Lieut.-Col. Yossi was rushing back to Israel from his honeymoon. On the same Tuesday afternoon, he organized a battalion of his own from 13 damaged tanks and moved up to the 7th Brigade's northern sector. The remaining forces of the 7th Brigade were about to withdraw. When Yossi's makeshift battalion arrived, the seven remaining tanks of the 7th Brigade joined his force and moved immediately to a counterattack against the Syrians. They counterattacked in the region near Tel Ahmar that became known as the "Valley of Tears," so named for the amount of destruction that occurred there. The Syrians, who had lost approximately 500 tanks and armored vehicles, withdrew at the attack of Yossi's force. They retreated before the 7th Brigade, which followed the Syrian forces all the way back to the "Purple Line."

Quite an anchievment in my opinion, outnumbered 5-1 and had the courage to launch a counter attack with 20 tanks.

LeEnfield said:
Try El Alamein where Britain used over thousand tanks to push Rommel back.

1000 british afv's

500 german afv's

Total tank numbers on both sides, I could not find any information on any single battle that involved a large amount of tanks.

When Britain attacked at El Alamein there were huge tank assaults on the German lines, some units lost up to 80% of their tanks. Many of them were later recovered as the battle passed them by. Germany at this time lost nearly all of it's tanks, from what I can remember they had just 50 left.

Back