29 N.J. Students Punished After Using Pennies To Pay For Lunch

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
I would totally do this....

Some Parents Think Detention Went Too Far; Others Think It Wasn't Enough

READINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- Sometimes a penny for your thoughts isn't a good thing.
Readington Township school officials gave 29 students detention after they used pennies to pay for their $2 lunches.
Superintendent Jorden Schiff said it started out as a prank. But as the eighth-graders began to get in trouble for taking up so much time, it turned into a protest about Thursday's shortened lunch period.

Schiff said the students were punished for holding up their peers and disrespecting lunch aides.
Schiff said some parents think a two-day detention went too far and others think it wasn't enough.
The school, which is located in Hunterdon County, said it wants students to know they can express themselves without disrupting other people.

I bring order where is chaos. I would get those pennies and force them to shove them up each others @$$es.
Then post the video on youtube.

I would totally do this....

I assume that pennies are legal tender and that there are no rules on how many you can use at once?
If this is the case then I can't see how the school can punish the students.

Also if the problem was holding up the cafeteria lines couldn't they have just refused to serve them or moved them to the back of the line to speed things up after all proprietors do have the right to refuse service.

Or you can just kick their asses.
Jesus is it just me or has the world gone soft?

And hows that working out for ya?

Thinking back to when I was in High School all your solution would have done is pissed people off more and gathered sympathy and support for those doing this, there is nothing that will lose support for your case faster than over reacting to a minor incident.

Simply taking control of the situation and moving those doing this to the back of the line or to another line altogether solves the problem and deflates their protest while having the minimum impact on the rest of the line and doesn't come across as being heavy handed.

MontyB said:
I assume that pennies are legal tender and that there are no rules on how many you can use at once?
Yes they are, and no I don't think there any rules on how many you can use. I think that if the ACLU or some other similar organization got this, the school district is going to be in very deep doo doo.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that it was intended as a harmless prank. Kids being kids, they did not think of the down side.

I've done worse and got away with getting no more than a mild "flea in my ear" , so I side with the kids.

Monty's idea to set them aside until the others were served, is the most logical answer to all of this. This would have turned the tables on them and still got a good laugh from all concerned without seriously inconveniencing anyone.

Back then, I never thought that far ahead.
Worked fine for me.
Then they put me on anger management and I sort of fell apart.

And hows that working out for ya?

Thinking back to when I was in High School all your solution would have done is pissed people off more and gathered sympathy and support for those doing this, there is nothing that will lose support for your case faster than over reacting to a minor incident.

Simply taking control of the situation and moving those doing this to the back of the line or to another line altogether solves the problem and deflates their protest while having the minimum impact on the rest of the line and doesn't come across as being heavy handed.

Pranks can be pretty funny. One time me, my brother and another one of his friends did an assault on another friend who was basically house watching for a teacher while he was away in Bali. You know, if there's a guy in there doing the every day stuff, there's less chance of theft. So we jumped the fence, cut the fuse and I smashed glass bottles in a plastic bag to simulate the sound of us breaking through the windows. Then my brother and his friend set fire to some barbecue stuff in the front yard. Then we started kicking all the doors so it would sound like there were more guys trying to bust in.
After about a minute of doing that we lose visual on the guy inside.
Later on we found out that he ran upstairs, locked himself in a toilet and called a girl (it was midnight!!) to tell him he was scared and thought he would die.
That was the funniest s*** in the world.
What's even funnier is that after that we pulled back out of sight (we brought bikes). We waited about five minutes before my brother called him. "Hey, I think I left my laptop cable over there and my battery's dead. Can I come over to pick it up?" (He was over at that house two nights ago)
The guy goes "You won't believe what just happened."
The hell we don't. hehehe.
The guy continues "Come here quick!"
So we show up ten minutes later which is funny because it takes 20 minutes to get there normally.
The guy goes "What took you so long??"
Bro: "It's a long trip over here man."
Him: "Man, they broke the glass and came in and stuff. They cut the electricity completely..."
Me: "Really? I don't see any broken windows anywhere." (Because I broke a beer bottle instead)
Him: "....." totally dumb struck.
Brother walks over to the fuse box to inspect it. Flicks the lights back on.
Bro's friend: "So what did you do when they attacked?"
The guy: "I ran upstairs."
Bro: "You didn't fight back?"
The guy: "There was a lot of them and they were real big. Bigger than you." Almost lets out a small smile thinking 'you would have done the same thing.'
We must have been disciplined as hell because I don't know how we didn't burst out laughing.
He said he called his parents and the cops were on the way. We told him it was a stupid idea and that the Indonesian cops would only take money and go home. In any case things would just get unnecessarily complicated. So we left.
You should have seen the look on the guy's face when we broke the true story to him several weeks later. And that teacher who owned the house got to hear the full story too. Worth a million bucks.

That's classic, but I wouldn't be too anxious to try it in America. :9mm:

On topic: I think using pennies was actually a great way to protest the shortened lunch break. Makes everyone else feel the affects as well.

Back