21 gun salutes

rotc boy

I'm doing one today to honor the one soldier from this town who died in the Vietnam War. We've been practicing for 2 months now so i think we'll do all right :)

my question: has anyone else done one?

Yup. I've participated in about 10 real ones; and countless practice. I've only fired the weapon in 2 or 3, the rest of them I've called commands.

I was asked to do acouple, wasn't able to. One was during the time of encampment, and the other was when i was on a bivouac, sounds like alot of fun though ot be there and have that honor to do that. I've practiced it many times with my squadron and others form NY in practice and training, I always have fun when training and getting to play with rifles lol

Heh heh...the fun depends on the weather outside...last May we had to do one, and obviously the UOD is full dress for these events. Unfortunately, someone decided that summer whites only can be worn after May 15th...This was on May 3rd or 4th, and it was about 90 degrees outside. So our officers taking part in the ceremony were all outside in full service dress blues...sweltering, obviously...as this 1.5 hour burial ceremony progresses. The moral...make sure you have a summer uniform option for hot weather even off-season before you have to stand outside... :lol:

lol that must have been SO hot, i could only imagine. i hate the blues, everyone thinks that blues are cooler then the BDUs, omg do i beg to differ. The blues are WOOL, people dont realize that; they are so hot.

Haha...you CAP cadets have it easy with your blues...they're actually blue. What they call "Service Dress Blues" in the Navy and in Navy JROTC are actually black with a navy blue thread every five threads (or something like that...but they're not really blue.) It was a baaaad situation...thank goodness for summer whites. :lol:

SUKERS!
I always find a way to get out of wearing blues. :lol: For some odd reason something happens that prevents me from having to wear 'em 80% of the time! Aside from CG and CAC of course. CG is the reason why I hate blues, not because of the heat, but because of shirt garters :evil:

lol that does suck...hehehe. i hate blues because: they itch, there hot, uncomfortable, and you get food on them it will never come off

CAP_FOXTROTgrl6 said:
lol that does suck...hehehe. i hate blues because: they itch, there hot, uncomfortable, and you get food on them it will never come off

Well the new style service coats are fine, they dont itch as much.

I sorta like them. My cadets always payed more attention to me when I was wearing them. :lol:

Hey now, anything to get them to listen... sorta.

But I dislike blues as much as the next person because I feel more at home in my BDUs. I'm a field girl, sleep in my BDUs, and just don't like the whole get up that a lot of "blues people" have.

Anyways, back to the 21 gun salutes. I've cried through every one I've experienced. They are amazing.

My cousin got one. He was killed in Iraq, he was performing a routine vehicular maintinance check and the car he was checking blew up. I bawled like a baby. My SASI allowed me to wear my blues so I was burning up, but I couldnt even tell..

Back