20 UN Staff Members killed in Afghanistan

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
It's just been reported that up to 20 UN staff members in the UN HQ in Mazar-e Sharif where killed by a mob that attacked the HQ after a demonstration went out of control.
The demonstration was started as a protest against the US preacher Terry Jones who burned the Koran last week, and it's believed that Taliban insurgents where taking advantage of the demonstration to attack the UN compound.

It's reported that at least two of the UN workers where beheaded in the violent attack..

A Norwegian female LTCol and a Swedish officer are amongst the killed but I haven't found any info on the rest yet

RIP! :salute2:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...after-us-preacher-burns-koran/article1966938/

http://www.vancouversun.com/staff+killed+Afghan+rampage+beheaded/4542260/story.html

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10083521

I say pack up go home and let em live in their crap hole of a country. Sin aid. And if AQ decides to use it for a base again, it becomes the worlds largest out door skating rink through proper application of canned sunshine.

The official number of killed UN workers have been reduced to 12 now, but it's still a great tragedy and one of the worst attacks on UN personell for years.

At least 5 of the attackers was killed as well.
It seems like a small group from the demonstration attacked one of the guard towers in the compound and was able to get the guards weapons before they attacked the main building and opened fire.

But the story continues...
5 people was killed and 46 wounded in Kandahar today in a second Koran burning demonstration that also went out of control. :(

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...ed_In_Kandahar_Protests_Over_Burning_Of_Koran

It's just another excuse the Taliban can use to get a rise out of the fickle population. Sheep.......

Last edited:
The Taleban can use these images/informations very effectively.

It's easy to use these "simple" people. You love god? You have foreigners in your country? Look what these foreigner want to do in your country! They are destroying the most important thing in your lives!"

And then you get anger, frustration... Then you get events like this one.

And I saw some interesting comments about how they report about the victims of the attack. The Nepalese soldier who were killed were presented as a statistic. But the European woman and the European victims were reported with names and background... Nobody gives a damn about the Nepalese. They didnt even ask about their name or how they died.

And they are not sure about the info about the beheaded victims. They are still checking.

Sad to see that there is still idiots who are in a religious battlefield. But we are at war against religious extremists in Afghanistan... But we dont touch their "brothers" in our own countries.

Last edited:
The Taleban can use these images/informations very effectively.

It's easy to use these "simple" people. You love god? You have foreigners in your country? Look what these foreigner want to do in your country! They are destroying the most important thing in your lives!"

And then you get anger, frustration... Then you get events like this one.

And I saw some interesting comments about how they report about the victims of the attack. The Nepalese soldier who were killed were presented as a statistic. But the European woman and the European victims were reported with names and background... Nobody gives a damn about the Nepalese. They didnt even ask about their name or how they died.

And they are not sure about the info about the beheaded victims. They are still checking.

Sad to see that there is still idiots who are in a religious battlefield. But we are at war against religious extremists in Afghanistan... But we dont touch their "brothers" in our own countries.

So your complaint is one of European discrimination is it? Typical. As it happens the Nepalese received important mention - as more than one and Ghurkas in fact.

I would have thought that your attention would have drawn to the repulsive, disgusting, primitive practice of beheading. I have no damned sympathy whatsoever with such perpetrators and all associated with them, including mobs.

They West must shrug off the current trend of apology and favour-currying; bowing down before people who only respect power and strength, easy meat for any old vicious despot but vicious despots themselves towards democrats of any kind.:bang:

Last edited:
Rest in Peace.

These religious fanatics are becoming a real problem.
I mean the American ones.
Exactly.
The muslims rape and murder Christians, and it's ok.
But if we burn the Quran, inside the United States where we have freedom of speech, the muslims totally wig out and start murdering more people.

They are only looking for excuses to murder. And you think that American churches are radicals?

Welcome to America homeboy. Freedom of religion ain't just for Christians, and freedom of speech is for everyone. If people in other countries don't like that, then I pray they get nuked. We don't need them. Other than oil, what do they contribute to the world? Not counting violence, of course.

It was NOT my complaint. I honestly "dont care", my reactions are very limited on these topics. I'm not the kind to get emotional on those topics.

But on news networks, I take the time to read the comments left by the people who read that. And I saw many comments about that. And it's "interesting". I wouldnt call anyone a racist on that... But yes, it's part of the little racism we see in normal life. We barely notice it. And some people focus a lot on that.

And beheading people is an ugly practice. But I think that I would be more repulsed in watching a body who met the path of an enemy 50cal gunner... I mean, it's not important.

And once again, the French were beheading people with Guillotine's... And the Muslim have the habit of beheading criminals in public space.
And the American have the habit of using an electrical chair or a lethal injection process... I mean who cares? Is it pertinent?

And you are a bigot toward Muslims by the way. These are under developed countries.The people there have no education. They are crushed under poverty, ignorance, violence, corruption, foreign invasions, doubt, twisted religious doctrines...

These are people from a medieval time... It takes 20minutes to understand how to operate an AK47.
To understand democracy... It takes a "little" more time.

And by the way, even some of you guys here dont get the full picture yet...

So dont get emotional. Just dont.

Last edited:
Remove religion and there will be peace ...

There are sheep everywhere.
My patience with Churches has pretty much gone to zero now.

My patience and respect for churches (ie: religions), has been zero for quite some time. I'm an agnostic and believe that religion has caused more unrest and violence around the world, than any other single factor.

Remove religion .. and there is peace in Israel ... remove religion .. and there is peace in Afghanistan ... remove religion .. and there is peace with Iran. Remove religion from most areas where there is unrest or violence ... and there will be peace. Without religion as a factor, suicide bombers are just a footnote of history and IEDs will just be another interesting entry in the history of warfare.

I am sorry to say this .. but .. a pox on ALL religions ... we would be better off if people (and religious leaders), would just worship as they wish and allow others to do the same.

Chief Bones there is a lot of examples of religion causing violence... And there is a lot of examples of religion preventing violence.

The actual Israel was the land where the people from the three monotheistic religions fought each others to death and lived together in perfect harmony...

Islam is described as a violent religion and at the same time it's a religion that many recognize as fair and generous as its also the religion saying that "killing an innocent is like killing the whole mankind in the eyes of god." and the religion that codified some kind of rules of engagement to avoid casualties and to protect prisonners of war from cruelty...

We are individuals. We chose. If we didnt had religions, we would be bashing each others heads for different reasons. That's it.

I'm an agnostic too. And I love religions. I like the intelligence in the holy scriptures. I enjoyed reading the Coran and I enjoy reading the bible. I wish I could find the time to study the bible in depth.

And I believe that religions bring a strong language and different categories. That's it. A strong canal to the same human nature. And they do liberate extraordinary potentials.

I had a good read about some Spanish characters in the time of the revolution. They were deeply religious characters. And there at the same time incredible warriors, incredible poets, incredible scientists, incredible lovers (very intense romantic relations with women)... Incredible characters.

Take religion as a cultural background. It replaces an emptiness and adds new concepts... Just think about Dante's Divine comedy. The first great text of the Italian culture... It's describing (with a lot of imagination) the vision of the catholic church... Three part, inferno, purgatory and paradise...

Not a believer, but damn... Thank you Jesus.

Religions arent the problem. People are.

Bad day for Swedes working under the blue UN flag.

A female observer in The Ivory coast were killed by a stray bullet in her house in the capital.
The area are protected by french troops that are not UN led but are working with the UN mission.

The debate about Swedens contributions to UN has gone from bad to worse today as the 8 Gripen fighters started from Kallinge AB on their mission to help secure Libyan airspace.

RIP to the fallen.

I make a motion that we prepare a petition to present to the government demanding they turn Afghanistan and Pakistan into a big pool of irradiated molten glass....

Sweet... Let's destroy every country we dont like. I love the idea. So simple.

And where do you come from Hmmm? You look like an extremely violent individual. We might want to use our advanced new technique of pacification over there next.

Knock it off. People died because some ass clowns on both sides with Cleric titles decided to do stupid stuff that was far reaching.

03, I am aware of what is going on. And it really bugs the hell out of me.
Terry Jones is not known for intelligent thoughts. On top of that, he was in America utilizing both his Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech. Inside America.

Ok. So now we have these Muslims having a foit over Jones burning the book. Well, it's his. Eoither he bought it or it was donated. If suspected that he stole it, then report the theft and suspected arson. Since it's religious in nature it becomes a hate crime.

But they don't. Instead they go out murdering people. People that were not present for the book burning. The people killed weren't even members of the same church, either. Not to mention none of them are from Florida (and at best less than half have been to Florida, even then). And the Muslims STILL murdered the people.

Offended? they are offended? They are looking for a reason to murder ANYONE! Isn't there a problem here?

So then Gen. Petraeus talks about how he condemns Jones for burning the Quran.

Ok. As I said, Jones is not exactly the sharpest tack. BUT, what he did is totally legal in the US. Gen. Petraeus does not seem to remember that he gave an oath for....protecting the Constitution of the United States of America. Oh, I forgot. He's using American tax dollars, American tools and American soldiers to fight a war for Afghanistan, NOT America. So I guess his oath is no longer effective....right?

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I am saddened that anyone died over this. But even more saddened that a US General has such disregard for the same rights he vowed to defend. Under those conditions, exactly who does Gen. Petraeus think he is? He's gotta be someone important, I[m sure of it, because he's certainly not one of US any longer (after that offensive statement).

Man, murdering people that have nothing to do with the book burning, nothing to do with the church, and still killed. Tell me that's not wrong, 03.

And no, I still stand my ground about the American soldiers that were murdering the innocent people (in another thread).

Last edited:
Back