2 senior commanders in Iraq are heading to new assignments

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
My money is that Abizaid goes to CSA and Casey goes to CENTCOM CDR with Petreaus going to MNF-I... That is just my thoughts.

Media: The Associated Press
Byline: ROBERT BURNS
Date: 25 September 2006

WASHINGTON_Two of the Army's top commanders in Iraq have been selected for new assignments.

The second-in-command in Iraq, Lt. Gen. Peter W. Chiarelli, will become a special assistant to the commander of Central Command with responsibility for developing the military capabilities of nations in the Middle East and Central Asia.

Chiarelli is to be replaced in Iraq by Lt. Gen. Raymond Odierno when Odierno becomes commander of Multi-National Corps-Iraq early next year. Chiarelli had previously commanded the 1st Cavalry Division in Iraq.

Also moving on from Iraq will be Maj. Gen. James D. Thurman, the 4th Infantry Division commander, who has been chosen for promotion to the rank of lieutenant general and assignment as commander of 5th Corps, the Army's top organization in Europe. Thurman commands all forces in the Baghdad area.

The 4th Infantry is due to be replaced in Iraq by the 1st Cavalry Division in mid-November.

Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who served a tumultuous year in Iraq as 5th Corps commander in 2003-04, relinquished command on Sept. 6 and is retiring soon, according to the U.S. Army Europe Web site. Sanchez had been a candidate to become the next commander of U.S. Southern Command but was passed over after the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal exploded into an international controversy. Sanchez has not been accused of any misconduct but has been criticized by some for not doing more to avoid mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners.

There has been no announcement about the next assignment for the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. George Casey, but he has indicated in recent months that he may not stay much beyond the end of this year.

Also unclear is the future of Gen. John Abizaid, the top commander for U.S. troops throughout the Middle East.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back