1917




 
--
 
February 4th, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 

Topic: 1917


There is a new war movie in theaters right now. It might be something to watch. There aren't many WWI movies, there are a lot of WWII movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZjQROMAh_s

I have only watched a handful WWI movies

All Quiet on the Western Front
Lost Battalion
Passchendaele
Gallipoli
A movie about the Red baron
A movie about American volunteers in the French air force
A TV series about Australian soldiers during the war (Paul Hogan was in this series)
February 5th, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
There is a new war movie in theaters right now. It might be something to watch. There aren't many WWI movies, there are a lot of WWII movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZjQROMAh_s

I have only watched a handful WWI movies

All Quiet on the Western Front
Lost Battalion
Passchendaele
Gallipoli
A movie about the Red baron
A movie about American volunteers in the French air force
A TV series about Australian soldiers during the war (Paul Hogan was in this series)
To be honest as a movie it was good, as a historic document it was terrible.
At it's best it is your bog standard "war" movie, lots of near misses and based on a premise that expects you to believe lots of different things have gone wrong so that a rather unrealistic series of events could take place.
February 5th, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
To be honest as a movie it was good, as a historic document it was terrible.
At it's best it is your bog standard "war" movie, lots of near misses and based on a premise that expects you to believe lots of different things have gone wrong so that a rather unrealistic series of events could take place.
I never view movies as good sources, movies are made to entertain. I think both of us find pleasure in reading empirical facts or watching interesting documentaries. I try to turn off the critical thinking when I watch a movie.
--
February 6th, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
I never view movies as good sources, movies are made to entertain. I think both of us find pleasure in reading empirical facts or watching interesting documentaries. I try to turn off the critical thinking when I watch a movie.
I wish I could but as long as the movie is based on real events I can't.
Movies like the Avengers series I can watch because there is nothing factual about them but movies such as U-571, Saving Private Ryan or 1917 I just can't watch.
February 6th, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I wish I could but as long as the movie is based on real events I can't.
Movies like the Avengers series I can watch because there is nothing factual about them but movies such as U-571, Saving Private Ryan or 1917 I just can't watch.
I haven't seen the 1917 yet but from what I have read, the story is loosely based on a real event. I usually don't have any problems when movies depict a real person or an event. Movies tend to add and remove parts to make the movie more entertaining. I have a bigger problem when Hollywood make sequels
February 7th, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Yes and no, U-571 is probably my biggest issue.
The real story of the capture of German naval enigma codes and equipment was far more interesting and action filled than the abortion of a movie they came up with and worst of all there are mentally challenged Muppets who think the Hollywood version is how it really happened which is just plain insulting to those actually did get it.

I won't get into inglorious bastards as that in my opinion is as bad if not worse than U-571.

It really annoys me that I have to sit down and try and beat actual history into morons who are quoting movies as fact.
February 7th, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Yes and no, U-571 is probably my biggest issue.
The real story of the capture of German naval enigma codes and equipment was far more interesting and action filled than the abortion of a movie they came up with and worst of all there are mentally challenged Muppets who think the Hollywood version is how it really happened which is just plain insulting to those actually did get it.

I won't get into inglorious bastards as that in my opinion is as bad if not worse than U-571.

It really annoys me that I have to sit down and try and beat actual history into morons who are quoting movies as fact.
Haha, you are mentioning the two worst war movies ever. I can recommend a good war movie, the Unknown Soldier. A story about a Finnish machine gun company during the Finnish-Russian war 1941-1944. The movie is based on the novel by the Finnish author Vienno Linna. The Finns have made three versions of it, the first one was made in the 1950s, and then two remakes, one in the 1980s and the latest one in 2017 when Finland celebrated its 100 years as an independent country

The trailer (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPTno2xVqY
February 7th, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
The movie ZULU was full of errors and so called poetic licence,

Firstly the 24th Regiment of foot was not a Welsh regiment, it was an English Regiment, it was the 2nd Warwickshire 24th Regiment of foot. The 24th Regiment of foot became the South Wales Borderers in 1881, two years after the battle of Rorkes Drift

Secondly the garrison did not sing Men of Harlech.

Thirdly the Zulu chief did not salute the Garrison, Lord Chelmsford was seen approaching with the rest of his command, the Zulu were exhausted so a retreat was considered prudent.

Fourthly the Zulu snipers firing down on the Garrison did not use Martini Henrys taken from Isandlwana, the Zulu that attacked Rorkes Drift did not take part in the Battle at Isandlwana. Instead they were using muzzle loaders.

Fifthly, the redoubt shown in the movie was massive, when in fact it was only 6 to 8 feet in diameter.

Its interesting to note that the Zulu that crossed the Buffalo River, sat on the bank smoking weed, pot, cannabis whatever you want to call it, to bolster up their courage.

But for all the errors, I still love the movie and watch it whenever it comes on TV.
February 7th, 2020  
The Highway Man
 
Not exactly a war movie, however, I watched The Darkest Hour last night, the portrayal of Churchill by Gary Oldman was superb, I highly recommend this film.
February 8th, 2020  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Haha, you are mentioning the two worst war movies ever. I can recommend a good war movie, the Unknown Soldier. A story about a Finnish machine gun company during the Finnish-Russian war 1941-1944. The movie is based on the novel by the Finnish author Vienno Linna. The Finns have made three versions of it, the first one was made in the 1950s, and then two remakes, one in the 1980s and the latest one in 2017 when Finland celebrated its 100 years as an independent country

The trailer (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPTno2xVqY
I haven't seen the movie, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Its interesting to note that the British were considering helping the Finns in their fight with Soviet Russia, I wonder what the outcome would have been as the Finns became allies of Germany.

Its is often quoted that Soviet Russia were allied with the west, in my opinion it was the western allies versus Germany versus USSR. There was massive mistrust between the western allies and the USSR, Churchill wasnt a fan of Stalin whatsoever. When British troops evacuated from Dunkirk, Stalin sent a telegram to Hitler congratulating him on his victory.
 


Similar Topics
This day in military history..
ANZAC DAY - APRIL 25
French Mutiny of 1917