1911 Colt .45

I wondered about that too, I would've rather trained with the 1911 instead of the Baretta... until my bor got his Kimber Custom II... I lvoe that thing... :9mm:

If you're going to replace a gun that has served in the US militarys arsenal for what over 80yrs it should of been the Glock .44 mag. (love that one) and the berreta is more likley to get dirt, mud you name it in the gun requiring cleaning it more often and more likely to jam.

One explanation told to me was that the move toward standardizing the caliber’s with NATO weapons: Others said that Colt lost to Beretta. I kind of believe the standardization story.

Still, id rather have the Colt than the Beretta...at least you could throw the colt at someone’s head and kill em easier. . The Beretta is too light. LoL

:lol:

A little off topic, yesterday we went and picked up my brother's new 1911 from the gun store. :) I felt more American driving home with it in the car.

I asked my dad this exact question yesterday at the store. He said a .45 will go through the wall and kill someone you don't want to kill. In war time this doesn't matter, but the way wars are being fought nowdays it does.

His 2 cents.

FutureRANGER said:
A little off topic, yesterday we went and picked up my brother's new 1911 from the gun store. :) I felt more American driving home with it in the car.

I asked my dad this exact question yesterday at the store. He said a .45 will go through the wall and kill someone you don't want to kill. In war time this doesn't matter, but the way wars are being fought nowdays it does.

His 2 cents.

Thats untrue, the 9mm penetrates soft flesh better then the .45 ACP

The reason the Army dumped the Colt was because it's heavy, holds only 7 bullets, kicks hard, and you have to pull the slide back for the gun to fire.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
Thats untrue, the 9mm penetrates soft flesh better then the .45 ACP

That is one problem with the 9mm, it has a tendency to overpenetrate. Walls aren't typically a problem, which increases the risk for blue on blue. Although, no one should really be using their sidearm unless they have a weapons malfunction/dead ammo anyway.

The reason the Army dumped the Colt was because it's heavy, holds only 7 bullets, kicks hard, and you have to pull the slide back for the gun to fire.

There were political reasons, obviously, at play as well.

I'd be using a hollowpoint with a pistol so I wouldn't have to worry about overpenetration

But the 1911 is probably the best military pistol ever.

Not really Marksman: first timers that fire the weapon have a tendency to misjudge the recoil an all, but once you learn to compensate, and to hold it correctly, the weapon fires true.

the 1911 is one mean SOB when it comes to stopping someone: Most guys i knew jacked an additional round in the chamber for 8 times instead of 7 times the action.

Not a bad gun..just a mis-understood reputation. :D

well

just a small question, when you say that the US army cjose the bareta, what dose that mean? Who is given the pistol? Can officers choose to own a private pistole as their sidearm?

Basically it means any soldier can carry a 9mm Beretta if he wants too. And private weapons are banned from the battlefield.

Re: really?

sherman105 said:
So if Im an officer and i want to carry a diffrent pistol to batlle i cant...? That sucks.
Of course you can, but you're not allowed to....

Sherman, weapons are issued via TO&E which stands for Table of Organization & Equipment for anyone unfamiliar with the term. Anyway, everyone on a typical TO&E has a personal weapon assigned to them based on their job. Essentially, if you need your hands free for your primary job, you are issued a pistol. For example, in a light infantry unit, if you are a member of a crew fired weapon such as a mortar, you are issued a pistol otherwise your TO&E weapon is normally a rifle. That's not to say that an officer, especially field grade, would not show up with a matched pair of pearl handled pistols! But that was not the norm.
On the subject of the .45 cal pistol, that was my favorite personal weapon. I fired it competitively in the Army. I have a whole box of plaques, trophies, ribbons, etc. from various competitions. More importantly, I have won many beers and such from the unsuspecting officer or other braggart. :lol: I won a steak dinner from a company commander (not mine) on the very last week I was in the Army.
I had driven my new CO to the range because he was due for qualification. While he was there he started to get into a challenge with the line company officers. It was getting a little late and they couldn't begin firing until one last private finished his qualification. The kid was having the worst time of it. My CO said "Top, can you help this kid out?" I said I'll try and I asked the Lt. in the tower if I could fire a few round while this kid was qualifying. He said OK so I took the position next to the Pvt. I asked him which target he was firing at (to be sure ;) ) and asked him if he wanted to get off the range. Well I qualified us both by firing at his target too and that's what apparently put the idea in the officers' heads that I could be an easy mark for their silly challenge. After the private left the range all the challenges came out among the officers. When the challenge got to be a steak dinner and beer I couldn't resist getting in on it.
When it was over I had fired 4 perfect scores in a row, won the bet, and had the Range OIC demanding that I become part of the battalion pistol team. At some point during all this, our BN CSM drove up and after he found out what happened, while laughing his butt off, he told the officers that I was a past captain of the BN team that finished best ever among the Division teams. I briefly felt like a pool hustler but the steak and beer cured me very quickly.
BTW, as to why the .45 was replaced. To my knowledge it was a combination of NATO standardization and the increased cost of .45 cal. ammunition.
I found with the .45, there were people who were naturals and those who couldn't hit a tank with it if they walked up and threw it at the turret :lol:

Back