1911 Colt .45




 
--
 
May 21st, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot
 
 

Topic: 1911 Colt .45


Why did the US Military take the Colt .45 out of its arsenal and replace it with the Berreta 9mm?
May 22nd, 2004  
Nero
 
I wondered about that too, I would've rather trained with the 1911 instead of the Baretta... until my bor got his Kimber Custom II... I lvoe that thing...
May 22nd, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot
 
 
If you're going to replace a gun that has served in the US militarys arsenal for what over 80yrs it should of been the Glock .44 mag. (love that one) and the berreta is more likley to get dirt, mud you name it in the gun requiring cleaning it more often and more likely to jam.
--
May 22nd, 2004  
Mark Conley
 
 
One explanation told to me was that the move toward standardizing the caliberís with NATO weapons: Others said that Colt lost to Beretta. I kind of believe the standardization story.

Still, id rather have the Colt than the Beretta...at least you could throw the colt at someoneís head and kill em easier. . The Beretta is too light. LoL

May 22nd, 2004  
FutureRANGER
 
 
A little off topic, yesterday we went and picked up my brother's new 1911 from the gun store. I felt more American driving home with it in the car.

I asked my dad this exact question yesterday at the store. He said a .45 will go through the wall and kill someone you don't want to kill. In war time this doesn't matter, but the way wars are being fought nowdays it does.

His 2 cents.
May 22nd, 2004  
Marksman
 
 
Ah colt 45' legend,i wish i had one of those
May 23rd, 2004  
1217
 
*looks at avatar* sigh
May 23rd, 2004  
Marksman
 
 
LOl
May 23rd, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureRANGER
A little off topic, yesterday we went and picked up my brother's new 1911 from the gun store. I felt more American driving home with it in the car.

I asked my dad this exact question yesterday at the store. He said a .45 will go through the wall and kill someone you don't want to kill. In war time this doesn't matter, but the way wars are being fought nowdays it does.

His 2 cents.
Thats untrue, the 9mm penetrates soft flesh better then the .45 ACP

The reason the Army dumped the Colt was because it's heavy, holds only 7 bullets, kicks hard, and you have to pull the slide back for the gun to fire.
May 23rd, 2004  
RnderSafe
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzy Mozzy
Thats untrue, the 9mm penetrates soft flesh better then the .45 ACP
That is one problem with the 9mm, it has a tendency to overpenetrate. Walls aren't typically a problem, which increases the risk for blue on blue. Although, no one should really be using their sidearm unless they have a weapons malfunction/dead ammo anyway.

Quote:
The reason the Army dumped the Colt was because it's heavy, holds only 7 bullets, kicks hard, and you have to pull the slide back for the gun to fire.
There were political reasons, obviously, at play as well.