1911 Colt .45

nulli, that is incorrect. You would be required to pay for your weapon if you destroyed in through negelct but that new weapon is still government property and it will be an exact replacement according to the TO&E.

I see, so rules set aside, some officers carry their pistols into combat? Im asking all this because in the IDF an officer is allowed to carry a pistol, but he can choose a non-standard, as long as he pays. For example my mom carryed a 6.65mm instead of the standart FN 9mm, because she did not want such a big pistol(she wasent a field officer though), my dad also carryies a S&W 0.38 revolver, instead of the standart pistol(and he was a field officer).

For many officers as well as EMs, a pistol is their official weapon and yes, that is what they carry into combat. Non standard personal firearms are not officially sanctioned although in real life, you can carry many different firearms. In Vietnam, for example, I won't say who but I know EMs that would carry sawed off 12 ga. shotguns on patrol. Against the rules, yes (Geneva Conventions?). Effective in jungle terrain, yes.
There is no option in the U.S. Army for anyone to purchase another type of weapon that I know of. Of course if you are a General you can carry whatever you want but then again, I can't recall often seeing officers of that high rank in my normal AO. I think their definition of "in combat" might be different than mine. It was unusual to see anyone higher than company grade officers out in the boonies but I heard tell they were around :lol:

DTop said:
nulli, that is incorrect. You would be required to pay for your weapon if you destroyed in through negelct but that new weapon is still government property and it will be an exact replacement according to the TO&E.
oh ok, but you can request a different sidearm right?

The only other authorized sidearm (that I am aware of) is the M11 9mm SIG-Sauer, but I am under the impression that the only personnel authorized to carry that are CID.
I do not know much as far as the armament of the USMC goes, however.

nulli you can request anything you like but it will do you no good. You see, the people who do the military planning do so in part based on a finite quantity and type of weaponry available to a unit. Even down to how many rifles and pistols there are in each unit. If everyone was allowed to carry different firearms how could they even be supplied with ammunition? That is the reason for standardization and for TO&Es in the first place. Any rifle company in the U.S. Army, for example, will have the same number of rifles, pistols, machine guns etc. The Army planners know how much of what kind of ammunition and spare parts they will need for a certain type of mission and that's what they are supplied with. The whole thing boils down to the logistics needed to complete the mission.

I fired a Springfield 1911 .45 today. It kicks like a mule. But that's coming from a 14 year old with not very much upper body strength (or mass). I liked it though. Its a beautiful weapon. At 100 yards I came about 3 feet away from target :D (disregard the fact I was just shooting downrange and it was purely luck).

I used one for marksmanship training last week...couldn't hit a thing with it beyond 50 yards. The Beretta M9 is better for target-shooting...but which is better under combat conditions?

Guys...come on.

Pistols are close range instruments. A 100 yards is 300 feet, and 50 yards is a 150 feet. Now why in the hell are you trying to shoot targets with a pistol at those distances? :D

I feel dumb, up until now I thought 9mm and .45 are the same size. but anyway... we were cleaning out a house, and the man I was working for found a .22 a 410 shotgun and a .45 pistol the pistol didnt work but it was cool and free. :cowb:

What? I hit the head of a target three times at 50 yards with the 1911 and five at 50 yards with the Beretta...100 yards is bloody impossible.

Mark Conley said:
Guys...come on.

Pistols are close range instruments. A 100 yards is 300 feet, and 50 yards is a 150 feet. Now why in the hell are you trying to shoot targets with a pistol at those distances? :D

Because, sir, we had already broken a target frame (we shot it by accident). So in order to prevent further damages we were told to just point it at something downrange. :p

1911 vs M9

Qualified with both, it was easier to qualify with the M9, but it felt like a cap gun compared to the .45. The number of rounds didn't really matter to me, had the issue 7 and bought the aftermarket 12, which wouldn't matter since one hit from the .45 creates havoc while you may have to put a couple more in with the 9mm. Even though in the Corps you have to qual to 50 meters, if you are using it passed 10 meters, then you are using the wrong weapon for the job.

When I first enlisted, the M1911A1 was the standard service pistol of the US Coast Guard. The one I carried had been somehow acquired by my great-gransfather in WWI and has been handed down from father to son through four generations. (It has been rebuilt and refurbished so many times over the decades that I doubt that anything but the frame is original anymore.) I still had it with me during my last deployment, but carried it more for the sake of family tradition than anything else; this was the venerable weapon's last war.

I also had an issue M9, of which I was originally skeptical but soon came to appreciate. In addition to sharing a common ammunition with other NATO pistols and submachine guns, it has less recoil than the .45, holds more ammunition, and is generally easier to handle. I used to encourage those of my men who were issued pistols to spend enough time on the range to become accurate shots with them; if they ever needed their pistols in battle, they were going to appreciate being able to hit their targets effectively.

Back