17% Turnout AGAIN ...

godofthunder9010

The age group of 18-30 is notorious. Almost without exception, they just don't vote. MTV and lots of noteworthy "Get out and vote" programs have failed to make a dent. 17% of Americans that are between 18 and 30 voted this time --- exactly the same percentage that voted in 2000. I've heard a long list of excuses for this and all of them are pathetic:
"My vote won't make a difference." -- If somebody believes this then its very difficult to convince them otherwise. Still, its really quite simple -- that attitude enmasse and its result DOES get noticed. If you are in that agegroup and want politicians to care about you at all, you're going to have quit whining and just vote. If you do vote, encourage others to vote as well.
"I don't like any of the candidates." Where did the candidates come from to begin with? Was it some grand conspiracy? Nope! If you are a registered member of a political party, you CAN influence which candidate is selected. Ask around and get involved and you can find yourself at the Party Caucuses voting for the person you prefer. Not happy with your choices there? Get more involved and make your voice heard in that party.

I think the candidate complaint is legitimate, to some extent. If you don't like any of the candidates because you are un-educated ont heir stances then it's a problem. But if you don't ike the candidates because your opinions aren't covered in our very limited two-party system then I can see where you are coming from.

I think you also have to look at the typical mindset of an 18 to 30 year old. "Me, me, me." This is an age group that is still trying to make their lives. 18 to 25 year olds, for the most part are still experiencing their independence while attempting to establish a place in the world. 26 -30 year olds are trying to maintain that establishment and add additional layers.

There lives, as they seem them, are virtually uneffected and they simply don't understand the issues at hand.

Now obviously, this is a generality, as there are 18 year olds and 30 year olds that can sit down and explain a candidates views better than the candidate himself.

IMO, it boils down to maturity and until this age group starts noticing that they are in fact effected, they will continue to provide the minority voter turn out.

If somebody founded a political party to specifically appeal to issues and concerns of people that are 18-30 ... if you beg and plead, beat them over the head ... try everything you can conceive of, it won't likely help.

For those of you who are too young to vote, remember that when you can, you will find yourself in a mass of other young adults who think that voting is pointless. The most important thing you can do is make sure you do not become one of them. It may not seem possible now, but you may be surprised when you get to that point. Voting also takes a bit of effort -- you have to register to vote. Its a completely painless process, but many young people just don't know how. Be the person that helps them. Be the nonconformist "weirdo" that gets involved and encourages everyone else to get out and vote. The only way to change a thing is to do something about it.

A 17% turnout and it makes younger generations come across as ignorant and apathetic -- they're actually very intelligent people, and we all probably know this. If they were to suddenly all start voting -- like 80% of them, you'd see a TREMEDOUS shift in politics because politicians would need to attract young voters in order to win. The current status quo is there because they don't vote, so politicians don't need to care about them.

If the younger generation voted in larger numbers, democrats would have more power.

I dont think any form of persusion would work unless a major war starts with a draft will the younger generation vote.

If someone is pressured into voting, they may make a bad decision. Or if they are not clear on the issues, they may make poor judjement calls, both of wich could very easily be bad for both candidates.

All I'm saying that just because everyone else thinks not voting is a wonderful idea, you don't have to do the same. On top of that, they're being stupid and they'll realize that sooner or later.

I guess it is the ignorance of youth. I have to say I was quite ignorant at the age of 18. At 25, I see things a bit differently than the days of my youth.

I am not sure if anything can be done to get the young adults to vote. Michael Moore, P Diddy and the rest of Hollywood lobbied hard to get the college students to vote. It was widely beleived that those people would assure a Kerry win. If people won't listen to thier social icons, who will they listen to?

it's like this the youth vote is disappointing and I hate them for it, because if they had not been disappointing kerry would have won this year.

Time said:
it's like this the youth vote is disappointing and I hate them for it, because if they had not been disappointing kerry would have won this year.

Did your crystal ball tell you that?

I'm glad they didn't vote.

If they did MTV would have basicly told most of them who to vote for. They probably wouldn't do any thinking on their own, just ape MTV. They're better off finding some direction in life then they would be better off voting for something that counts to them, rather than doing it because some rapper or rock star says so.

Viva La Bam!

LeatherNeckRVA said:
I think the candidate complaint is legitimate, to some extent. If you don't like any of the candidates because you are un-educated ont heir stances then it's a problem. But if you don't ike the candidates because your opinions aren't covered in our very limited two-party system then I can see where you are coming from.

Yes but as said "America is a two party dictatorship" and "Kerry is the lesser of the two evils"

I voted and I'm in that age group, and I'd like to think I was well informed. But, as my brother put it, by them not voting, it makes your vote count that much more (btw, he just recently became of voting age so wasn't able to vote in this election). He has a point to some extent. I don't believe MTV presented the facts of the election very well. They tried to use the Draft as a reason to get kids aware of the election. But I don't think that was very intelligent because both candidates opposed it. Then we had Green Day and Eminem making songs about the election. Even with Eminem's anti-Bush song, Mosh, it still didn't seem to make much of a difference. I wouldn't listen to a bunch of entertainers to make my decision to vote, but I'm sure some people think otherwise.

Back