17 and need to leave now...

VJ1987

Hey im 17 and have wanted to be military for years. Life here at home is impossible and I fear If I do not leave now I may never. I need help guys.. I need to get in the military now and start my life

Welcome to the forum. Do you have any specific questions about the service? I hope that you have another reason for joining the military other than just wanting to "get away."

Wow...are you sure? That could be a big commitment of time...2, 3, 4 or 6 years...depending on whom you go with.

Your first priority is to finish school if you have not done so, or get your GED. Despite anything, you need to get your education now, while you still can without the encumberages of a profession.

Lets get this out of the way first, then we'll talk. PM me if you want to.

Mark :D

I do want to join the Military. I have since I was born, not to get out of the house but because I just dont see myself doing anything else but something in the Military. The Navy SEAL's really get me. I love water and the stuff they do is just amazing. Although thats not all. I want to be in Delta Force, Marines, Green Berets, and Force Recon. Pretty much all the elite groups. I want to get a feel for all of them and see what I like the most.

Right now im 17 and life here at home is bad.. Ive got support from anyone.. The friends Ive had since I was a little kid all tell me I wont be joining the military and my parents couldnt care what happens.. Ive talked to alot of recruiters and the most I can do I join the Army this summer.. I just might and move up my road from there. I just wish I was in a more positive place and I guess thats what im looking for. A school? or friends or JROTC somewhere. Im in nightschool so I dont know how I would do JROTC at my school if they even have it witch I dont think they do.. The Military is all Ive ever wanted.. without it I dont know what I would do..

VJ1987 said:
I want to be in Delta Force, Marines, Green Berets, and Force Recon. Pretty much all the elite groups. I want to get a feel for all of them and see what I like the most.

Sounds like you're working with a lot of misconceptions about the service, you said that you have spoken to recruiters, I would suggest that you have another long chat with them, take some notes before you go on questions that you have and don't forget to ask them, and also take notes on the answers you get. Don't jump into anything. Find out which branch and career path are best for you before you put pen to paper, if you sign up for a certain MOS and then find out that it's not for you, it can be extremely difficult to change after you are already in.

On the issue of support, ultimately it is YOUR decision and YOUR life, nobody else can make those choices for you unless you let them.

The Navy SEAL's really get me. I love water and the stuff they do is just amazing. Although thats not all. I want to be in Delta Force, Marines, Green Berets, and Force Recon. Pretty much all the elite groups. I want to get a feel for all of them and see what I like the most.

If you like, I will send you one of mine. Wear it, and let me know how it feels. Personally, I always felt they cut too much on the forehead. Now, you should try other colours of berets as well, such as red, blue, yellow. Make sure you look at all of your options, because when it comes to beret colours, there's a whole rainbow out there.

Yeah Redneck I know what your saying. Ive talked to them alot about joining this then going to that and how it would all work. I plan to spend my life in the Military. At least until they kick me out of old age that is. Just right now times are very hard and the wait is long and never ending it seems.

Like I said before, you seem to be confused about the nature of the service (specifically "all the elite" units you want to be a part of). You might want to run your Special Forces/Force Recon/SEAL/Smokejumper/ninja career path by one of these recruiters and see what they have to tell you, ok?

All the post above are right, my Mom joined the Air Force to get away from her family life. It was a big mistake! She was not cut out for her MOS, or life in the military. I'm not saying you should'int join, just that you should get more info before you do.

RnderSafe said:
If you like, I will send you one of mine. Wear it, and let me know how it feels. Personally, I always felt they cut too much on the forehead. Now, you should try other colours of berets as well, such as red, blue, yellow. Make sure you look at all of your options, because when it comes to beret colours, there's a whole rainbow out there.

:lol:

Ah you guys are getting it all wrong. Im not running away from home for the Military life. I just need to get out now. My fathers ready to kick me out and I get NOTHING from my mother or him. I need a more positive area or some new friends something. I know what I want to do with my life and the Military is it.

We understand that, but you got some pretty unrealistic expectations about the service, you need to get your poop straight before you make any decisions.

the best thing is not to dream about some elite groups because its almost impossible to get in esspisaly in USA.When i was like 12 i wanted to be a elite soldier but not anymore.

Dude as a 16 year old kid with a rough family life I understand what you are going through... when I was 12 I wanted to go into the USNA but my grades arent good enough and thus unrealistic, youshould get your education and plan ahead maybe join the Navy DEP or Air Force.

All I can say is good luck. If Special Forces is what you really want for the right reasons then it will show when you go through training. and just the same if you want Special Forces for the wrong reasons it will also show during training It has been said before that the people who try for special forces for the kicks of saying they are SF are soon weeded out.

If Special Forces is what you want then going through basic and the advanced schools your determination to be special forces will really help you. Make sure you are physically ready to take on the challenges of Special Forces as well though.

Good Luck!

hey man I say look at your differant options and whichever gives you what you want take it. there is nothing wrong with wanting to go SF or delta but I hope you realize how much work its going to be. ranger and airbourne schools are not hard to get but any higher ones you better have yourself squared away. oh yeah the AF doesnt have MOS's they have AFSC's

you have to know in your hart that SF is what you want to do. you cant just say well i want to get out of here because life sucks right now, your thinking the military is the only obvious option, and while your at it you think you want to be one of the best trained fighters in the world, find whats in your hart before you even take your first step. there are allot of other options out there other than the military. :camo:

my reason are not the typical reasons either. one of the things that helped me is http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Home/0,13387,,00.html

do all of the steps read everyone and consider each branch. after i did all this i rethought the branch i wanted to enlist in. i realized that my wants and desires did not match up with my needs.

if you don't have enough maturity and self discipline to fully take in each decision possibility then you need another career. the ONLY reason i can say this is that i learned it for myself the hard way.

Back