15 British Naval Personnel Captured by Iran

Kirruth

Talks are continuing to try to end the dispute between the UK and Iran over the seizure at gunpoint of 15 Royal Navy personnel in the Gulf.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6489493.stm

The UK says the eight sailors and seven marines had been carrying out routine duties in Iraqi waters and has called for their immediate release.
But Tehran said it had made a "firm protest" about an "illegal entry" into Iranian waters by the navy personnel.
Diplomats have held talks in Tehran and London since Friday's incident.
The personnel, who are thought to be unharmed, were seized after boarding a boat in the Gulf.

(Duplicate of thread in international news feed area)

Last edited:
Iran: U.K. troops admit to illegal entry (AP)

AP - The Iranian military questioned 15 detained British sailors and marines Saturday and said they had confessed to illegally entering Iranian waters in an act of "blatant aggression."

More...

Iran ups the rhetoric on seized sailors (AP)

AP - Iran claimed Saturday that 15 British sailors and marines had confessed to entering its waters in an act of "blatant aggression," an escalation of Tehran's rhetoric over the confrontation.

More...

Well I dont think it was a coincidence that sanctions against were being discussed in the UN Security council that day.

Once these men and woman are released I think the rules of engagement in the area need to be made stronger so that British warships are able to engage anyone attempting to capture their personnel.

What was the HMS Cornwall doing while the sailors were being captured, were they anywhere nearby. If it was only a boarding party, I would think that the HMS Cornwall would be parked fairly close to the vessel they had stopped but if not, why not?
Just curious

Apparently it was far enough away from the boarding party to allow 6-9 Iranian ships to surround the party between the ship they were inspecting and the HMS Cornwall. Large boats wanting some distance to avoid a nasty collision and all that I suppose.

The Iranians are pulling off a China. They're doing something extremely drastic and they'll sit there and go, "so whatcha gonna do about it?" with a cheeky little smile.
It's a display of power.
Iran looks ripe for regime change.

IT would not be a small war like the ones currently underway in Iraq and Astan. This would be a big fat WWII bring the thunder kinda war. Iran has sorely misjudged if they think what they have seen on their doorsteps is the measure of our might.

Apparently it was far enough away from the boarding party to allow 6-9 Iranian ships to surround the party between the ship they were inspecting and the HMS Cornwall. Large boats wanting some distance to avoid a nasty collision and all that I suppose.

I would have thought 100 - 200m would have been a reasonably safe distace, would give a shorter trip in an emergency and better coverage from the HMS Cornwall, which while I think about it, didn't anybody notice all those Iranian boats heading towards the vessel.
I just can't help shaking an image of a British officer on HMS Cornwall with bullhorn in hand screaming out "Oi...OI, stop that...STOP THAT...THAT"S VERY VERY NAUGHTY"
;)

LONDON: Britain's Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said Wednesday she had frozen bilateral talks with Iran on all other issues until Tehran returns 15 British sailors and marines seized on Friday.

Via International Herald Tribune

The first question I would have to ask is where were their weapons and if they had them why didnt they defend themselves. Who knows maybe this event will get the UN involved. *yea right*

Ill accept that. I thought I read somewhere that they were unarmed which sounded pretty rediculous. The entire event makes me curious, there is SOP to stop **** like this from happening. The ROE's could had been a issue as well.

Last edited:
Not looking like soldiers in those pictures... the body language is VERY humbled and if I had to put a word to it, cowering. Not speaking well for their treatment thusfar in my opinion.

Not looking like soldiers in those pictures... the body language is VERY humbled and if I had to put a word to it, cowering. Not speaking well for their treatment thusfar in my opinion.

I wish we could hang the mullahs from the trees in Tehran. I really mean it.

Back