15 British Naval Personnel Captured by Iran

--

March 24th, 2007  
Kirruth

Topic: 15 British Naval Personnel Captured by Iran

Talks are continuing to try to end the dispute between the UK and Iran over the seizure at gunpoint of 15 Royal Navy personnel in the Gulf.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6489493.stm

The UK says the eight sailors and seven marines had been carrying out routine duties in Iraqi waters and has called for their immediate release.
But Tehran said it had made a "firm protest" about an "illegal entry" into Iranian waters by the navy personnel.
Diplomats have held talks in Tehran and London since Friday's incident.
The personnel, who are thought to be unharmed, were seized after boarding a boat in the Gulf.

(Duplicate of thread in international news feed area)
March 24th, 2007  
News Manager

Topic: Iran: U.K. troops admit to illegal entry (AP)

AP - The Iranian military questioned 15 detained British sailors and marines Saturday and said they had confessed to illegally entering Iranian waters in an act of "blatant aggression."

More...
March 24th, 2007  
phoenix80

LoL

Do they think the whole world is stupid or what?
--
March 25th, 2007  
News Manager

Topic: Iran ups the rhetoric on seized sailors (AP)

AP - Iran claimed Saturday that 15 British sailors and marines had confessed to entering its waters in an act of "blatant aggression," an escalation of Tehran's rhetoric over the confrontation.

More...
March 25th, 2007  
bulldogg

If they escalate anything beyond rhetoric there is going to be hell to pay.
March 25th, 2007  
Redleg

Merged all of the threads on this subject now.

Quote:
TEHRAN (Reuters) - The British envoy to Tehran on Sunday requested access to 15 detained British naval personnel who Iran says entered Iranian waters illegally despite Britain's insistence they were in Iraqi territory, a diplomat said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...5?pageNumber=1

I wonder what the real reason behing this is...
March 26th, 2007  
Kirruth

Well I dont think it was a coincidence that sanctions against were being discussed in the UN Security council that day.

Once these men and woman are released I think the rules of engagement in the area need to be made stronger so that British warships are able to engage anyone attempting to capture their personnel.
March 26th, 2007  
WNxRogue

If they harm those sailors in any way, I would not be suprised if they pay the ultimate price.
March 28th, 2007  
Mr KillKill

What was the HMS Cornwall doing while the sailors were being captured, were they anywhere nearby. If it was only a boarding party, I would think that the HMS Cornwall would be parked fairly close to the vessel they had stopped but if not, why not?
Just curious
March 28th, 2007  
bulldogg

Apparently it was far enough away from the boarding party to allow 6-9 Iranian ships to surround the party between the ship they were inspecting and the HMS Cornwall. Large boats wanting some distance to avoid a nasty collision and all that I suppose.