15 British Naval Personnel Captured by Iran

In extraordinary scenes broadcast on Iranian state television immediately afterwards, Mr Ahmadinejad was shown speaking to several of the captured Britons, accepting their "apologies" for entering Iranian waters in front of the assembled television cameras.

Smiling broadly, the Iranian president shook hands with the captives, who were dressed for the occasion in new grey suits.

"I would like to thank yourself and the Iranian people," one was heard saying.
This is really bad!
Sounds like they've been brainwashed....

Remember the revised SERE techniques tought after DS?

The SAS atleast are allowed to make statements as long as they do a predetermined gesture or signal that means "I am not doing this of my own free will".
Avoid the beating, get released and then stick it to the Iranians.
Wouldn´t surprise me if the case was the same for these RM,s? if that was what they were.

""I would like to thank yourself and the Iranian people," one was heard saying."

I can however see no tactical advantage to doing that whatsoever.

Last edited:
Remember the revised SERE techniques tought after DS?

The SAS atleast are allowed to make statements as long as they do a predetermined gesture or signal that means "I am not doing this of my own free will".
Avoid the beating, get released and then stick it to the Iranians.
Wouldn´t surprise me if the case was the same for these RM,s? if that was what they were.
I believe I read in one of the articles that they didn't have much interrogation/hostage training at all.
I'll see if I can find it again.

this is a circus and the so-called free world is being manipulated by bunch of backward mullahs.

"The whole hostage crisis was created by the terrorist rulers in Tehran in order to give the false impression to the surrender monkeys and defeatists in the West that the same way the hostage crisis was resolved through “Diplomacy”, so the Iran nuclear issue can be resolved through “Diplomacy”.

I guess they will be debriefed and eventually it will be leaked out to the media what really went on.
From what we saw on the TV it must have been torture by kindness. Curry meals and new suits!!!!!

UK sailors 'were in Iraqi waters'

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The 15 British military personnel captured by Iranian forces in the Persian Gulf were subjected to psychological pressure and kept in isolation during their detention, the group's commander told a news conference on Friday.
Lt. Felix Carman of the British Royal Navy, reading a statement at a news conference, said the troops were 1.7 nautical miles from Iranian waters when the incident occurred, despite previous statements to the contrary while in Iranian custody.
The group had been presented with two options, said Lt. Carmen: to admit having strayed into Iranian waters or face up to seven years in prison in Iran.
The sailors and marines, who were seized from patrol boats on March 23, returned to the UK on Thursday after 13 days in Iranian captivity. Lt. Carmen said they were kept in isolation until the last few nights, when they were brought into the glare of the Iranian media, he said.
Britain has suspended boarding operations in the Persian Gulf and launched a review into the circumstances that led to 15 military personnel being captured by Iranian forces last month, defense sources confirmed on Friday.
A spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defence said a "detailed inquiry" was under way and that debriefings of the group would continue at a military base in Chivenor, southwestern England, on Friday, the UK's Press Association reported.
Meanwhile, the head of the Royal Navy, First Sea Lord Jonathon Band, confirmed boarding operations involving British forces had been suspended.
"For the moment we have stopped UK boarding operations," Band told BBC radio. "We will obviously do a complete review."
Band said the review of the incident would consider intelligence, equipment and procedures as well as examining the rules of engagement for British forces operating in the area.
He also defended the conduct of the 15, several of whom appeared on Iranian state television during their captivity to apologize for their actions and were also filmed meeting Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and receiving gifts prior to their return to the UK. Ahmadinejad announced on Wednesday that the group had been "pardoned" as an Easter gift to the British people. (Watch how Iran's PR plan unfolded)
Band said the "confessions" by the group appeared to have been made under "a certain amount of psychological pressure."
"From what I have seen of them on the television and I met them personally when they returned to their families yesterday, I think they acted with considerable dignity and a lot of courage," Band said.
He also rejected suggestions that the patrol had been "spying" and said there was "absolutely no doubt" they were in Iraqi waters.
"We are certainly not spying on them," he said. "The Iranians in that part of Iraqi territorial waters are not part of the scene."
In an interview with British TV network Sky News, released on Thursday but conducted before the group's capture, the captain of the 15 said gathering intelligence on Iranian naval activity was a standard part of their duties.
Capt. Chris Air said patrols regularly encountered fishing boats in the area and talked to their crews about guarding against terrorism and piracy.
"Secondly, it's to gather int [intelligence]. If they do have any information, because they're here for days at a time, they can share it with us, whether it's about piracy or any sort of Iranian activity in the area," Air told Sky News.
"Obviously we're right by the buffer zone with Iran," Air added.
Sky News said on its Web site that it withheld the story until after the sailors' release to avoid giving the Iranians evidence for prosecuting the captives. (Timeline)
In a statement published by the Ministry of Defence's Web site on Thursday, the group said they were "extremely happy" to be back home.
"The past two weeks have been very difficult. But by staying together as a team we kept our spirits up, drawing great comfort from the knowledge that our loved ones would be waiting for us on our return to the UK," the statement said. (Watch the former detainees back on British soil)
No deals

Speaking in Downing Street as the British Airways flight carrying the 15 landed in London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed their release but reiterated that no diplomatic deals had been done to secure their release.
Blair said the group's homecoming was a reason to "rejoice" but noted that their arrival back to the UK came amid news of the deaths of four British soldiers in Iraq.
"We are glad that our service personnel return safe and unharmed from their captivity, but on the other, we return to the sober and ugly reality of what is happening through terrorism in Iraq," he said. (Watch Blair's remarks on the 15's release)
Blair said the group's sudden release vindicated the UK's "dual-track strategy" of pursuing bilateral dialogue while mobilizing international pressure, adding that their return had been secured "without any deal, without any negotiation, without any side agreement of any nature whatsoever."
He said the crisis had opened up new channels of communication with Tehran that it would be "sensible" to pursue, and he said it was the "right moment" to reflect on relations with Iran.
"But there cannot be any misunderstanding of the basis upon which that communication takes place," said Blair. "We have to hold absolutely firm in relation to support from any aspect of the Iranian regime for terrorism."
Responding to the claim by Ahmadinejad that the UK had sent a letter of apology to Tehran vowing not to intrude into Iranian territorial waters, Blair noted that the allegation was "nothing new" since British forces should not have been in Iranian waters, adding "obviously it's our contention that they weren't," in reference to the 15 marines and sailors.
Blair also dismissed suggestions that any deal had been made involving the release of Iranians held in Iraq.
"Let me make it absolutely clear: No, there are no agreements about any Iranian elements that may be held in Iraq because they're being held in Iraq as a result of the wrongful interference with the business in Iraq," Blair said.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/06/iran.sailors/index.html

What do you think about a right to sell to the Media?
This whole matter concerning the 15 British service personnel, is beginning to stink like yet another Blair propaganda campaign!
Were I to talk about my time of service in the Middle-East and the dirty tricks used by some British officers, I would be liable prosecution under the "Official Secrets Acts."
Now we hear, that these former prisoners may talk freely and sell their stories to the press!
Who is kidding who and why?

Sheep... easily distracted by bollocks... there are much bigger issues that could benefit from the application of some intellect rather than pissing about the selling of the story. If you were a bull you'd be skewered by now, don't take your eyes off the bad man.

15 british Naval Personnel

Bravo Bulldogg, true there are really more important things than politically manipulated stories from a few sailors. Just as much as it would be true to say "using a barrage of abuse is easier than finding intelligent answers". Nevertheless while accepting that some viewers, may not be able to understand the significance placed on civilised values, by Europeans, they might ask themselves: Can it be right for a small group of service personnel to make an enormous profit out of a few days in captivity, while others who have done their duty and have been killed or wounded in the process receive hardly a comment? Surely, if these stories are sold, any profit should go towards the care of forces' families which have suffered loss, or severely wounded comrades.
The British Legion for example does a great deal for exservice-men/women and their families in need. As we have seen in Afghanistan this weekend, the number who are suffering loss and needing help is rapidly on the increase.

Well, letting the naval personnel tell their stories is a way of embarassing the Iranians without the British Government appearing to have a hand in it: essentially it's a point scoring exercise against Ahmadinejad.

As for where the money goes, I think the Legion or BLESMA or St Dunstan's are fine causes... :)

Well, letting the naval personnel tell their stories is a way of embarassing the Iranians without the British Government appearing to have a hand in it: essentially it's a point scoring exercise against Ahmadinejad.

On target... :)

Englander2, its a damning testament to our societies if what you posit about the general populace is true. A failing primarily on the part of an educational system that has churned out citizens unable to discern diamonds apart from dung.

The two officers among the 15 Royal Navy personnel held captive by Iran have insisted that they do not want to profit from their stories.

Lieutenant Felix Carman, from Gower, near Swansea, said he was "not interested in making money".
Royal Marine Captain Chris Air echoed those sentiments but said fellow personnel had the right to sell. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has allowed the group to sell their stories due to the "exceptional circumstances".

Lt Carman said if he told his story it would be to thank the people of Wales for the support they gave him - and if he were offered money, it would probably go to charity. Capt Air, of Altrincham, Greater Manchester, said the incident "didn't seem that traumatic to him" but added that, for others, selling the story might help them get things off their mind.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6537217.stm

A big :salute2: to those two officers!

Some more news articles on the subject

Leading Seaman Faye Turney has told how she "felt like a traitor" when she was forced to write "confession" letters shown on Iranian television.
The only woman among the 15-strong Royal Navy crew has also defended her decision to sell her story to ITV1's Trevor Macdonald and the Sun newspaper.

Some of the reported six-figure sum for the interview will go to navy families.
Relatives of soldiers killed in Iraq have criticised the decision allowing the crew to sell their stories.
Lord Heseltine, the former deputy prime minister and defence secretary, has called for an inquiry into the decision to allow the sale of stories.
And Lieutenant Felix Carman, who was among those held, has said he finds it "unsavoury" that his fellow captives are being paid to tell their story. But the Sun newspaper has defended its decision to pay Leading Seaman Turney for her story.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6538075.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6537555.stm

U.K. bans soldiers from media interview sales

2 former captives have already sold stories; one went as high as $197,000

LONDON - Britain on Monday banned all military service members from talking to the media in return for payment, a day after it said the 15 marines and sailors who were held captive in Iran could sell their stories.
Defense Secretary Des Browne issued a statement saying the navy faced a “very tough call” over its initial decision to allow the payments. The new ban will not affect any of the 15 service members held captive in Iran who already have given accounts, a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
On Monday, in one of the first accounts, Faye Turney, the sole woman in the detained crew, said that she “felt like a traitor” for agreeing to her captors’ demands to appear on Iranian TV and that she believed they had measured her for a coffin.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18006521/

I have to agree with the MoD on this.
In the United States of America, Military Service Members on Active Duty relinquish rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution, there is no "Freedom of Speech" in the United States Military.
As the US Military pays on a 24 hour day, 365 days a year, there is no difference between being "on duty" or "off duty".

What happens in the United States Military is Official Government business and subject to the official rules on any release of such information, was a time when people waited until they were retired to write their memoirs.

I'm glad to see England putting her foot down, albeit a bit late in the case of some of those held by Iran.

Back