15 British Naval Personnel Captured by Iran

Well, I think the Iranians miscalculated showing the young men and woman on television. Attitudes here are suddenly very, very hardened.

It will take some cool heads to steer through this issue.

Kirruth how are Mr and Mrs Blighty taking in particular to your female soldier being forced to wear the jilbab?

i have a feeling if Iran doesn't release those sailors and marines, bad things could happen. i would not be surprised if the UN were to get involved in this situation as well.

The UN... HA!... what the :cen: will they do??

"Stop right this instant, release those soldiers immediately or we will use harsh language... I repeat, we will use harsh language."

It just reminded me of the same tactics used by terrorists in Iraq who capture foreigners and then ask their respective governments to leave the country if they want their people back alive. What the terrorist regime of Iran is doing is completely similar to what those insurgents do in Iraq or Afghanistan urging the foreigners to leave.

Kirruth how are Mr and Mrs Blighty taking in particular to your female soldier being forced to wear the jilbab?

I think it's fair to say that Mr and Mrs Blighty are bouncing off the walls.

The Iranians themselves have been busy creating a way out: essentially saying its a technical matter.

Let's hope the British diplomats are able to lower the temperature to this level (while at the same time their military colleagues start moving naval and air force assets into the area).

a bit off-topic

A gentleman from the city of Esfehan in central Iran, on an Iranian air & space forum (aerospacetalk.com), is telling us about the shooting down of a US unmanned drone over Esfehan by Iranian F-14s last night.

Don't know how credible it might be but thought to share it with you guys.

Putting aside my own personal views on the matter, I think the first thing that must be done before we go "using harsh language":lol: is to find out if they were actually captured in Iranian waters. I'm sure that with current GPS technology and logging systems there is a way of settling this quite quickly.

The succeeding steps will be entirely dependant on the result of this finding.

Yes,... Iraq is the current "bogey man". But that does not make it legal for others to conduct illegal military operations in their country. If we start stooping to their level, we are no better than they are. Think about it.

Putting aside my own personal views on the matter, I think the first thing that must be done before we go "using harsh language":lol: is to find out if they were actually captured in Iranian waters. I'm sure that with current GPS technology and logging systems there is a way of settling this quite quickly.

The succeeding steps will be entirely dependant on the result of this finding.

Yes,... Iraq is the current "bogey man". But that does not make it legal for others to conduct illegal military operations in their country. If we start stooping to their level, we are no better than they are. Think about it.

It's already a known fact they were in Iraqi waters.

Well, there's not much to argue about is there? the Iranians only did as they should and the RN were stupid enough to be caught breaking the rules.

I feel sorry for those captured, but the heat should be on the RN not the Iranians. Now is the time for diplomacy.

I think that the Iranian government is trying to do one of a few possible things: 1) sucker the UK in to a conflict with them, 2) get the UK to attack an Iranian vessel or Iran itself and allow them self defense rights, or 3) they are trying to increase justification on them having a nuclear arsenal.

I don't trust Iran at all. They captured foreign soldiers, said they would release the female, and have yet to do so. They site the soldiers being in their waters, yet have given more than one set of coordinates of where they were at time of capture. Why the change in location? We're not talking a few feet, but instead a few miles. This government is up to no good. Sadly, I think that those soldiers are going to end up paying for this with their lives, and many others too. WWIII here we come.

Well, there's not much to argue about is there? the Iranians only did as they should and the RN were stupid enough to be caught breaking the rules.

I feel sorry for those captured, but the heat should be on the RN not the Iranians. Now is the time for diplomacy.

Spike, quick, grab yer glasses mate.. Iraq, they were in Iraq waters not Iran... check it again now with the specs on cobber.

Q... N... :)

Spike, quick, grab yer glasses mate.. Iraq, they were in Iraq waters not Iran... check it again now with the specs on cobber.

Q... N... :)

Bugger!!! I've done it again.

It looks like I need a 22" screen and large print.

They can rename one of those places too,.... Iran/Iraq how about we go back to calling Iran Persia.

I made the same mistake a month ago.

Now then, if they were operating in Iraqi waters, how come a large British warship with a quick firing 4.5" main gun let these Iranians get away. At the range they would have been, it should have been quite possible to disable a small vessel using a solid shot or practice projectile to minimise the possibility of injuring personnel.

I'm only guessing as to what actually happened, but it strikes me as odd.

On one of these damn threads about this topic I did offer up an answer from what I can see... ROE's, the British penchant for abiding by the rules and distance from vessel that was boarded for stealth and or collision avoidance.

I'm sure it was the rules of engagement. Whatever stones can be thrown at the type 22 frigate, (HMS Cornwall being the ship these sailors come from), it has all the capability it needs to blow up or disable patrol boats.

Iranian state television has aired new footage of two of the 15 Royal Navy personnel captured nine days ago. They were shown separately standing in front of a chart of the northern Gulf where the sailors and marines were seized on March 23.
Official TV channel Al-Alam said the pair shown in the video said they had entered Iranian waters - something which the UK disputes.
The Foreign Office described showing the TV footage as "unacceptable".

'Treated well'
In the footage, the first crew member is shown describing how the group was captured.
He said: "Approximately about ten o'clock in the morning we were seized - apparently at this point here from their maps on the GPS they've shown us - which is inside Iranian territorial waters."
He went on to say that the crew had been "treated very well".
The second serviceman also pointed to the map to indicate where the crew had been captured and said he understood why the Iranians were "angry about the intrusion".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6515995.stm

Treated well??
Being forced to lie on television like that isn't what I would call treated well.. :evil:

They are being coerced and I bet once they are released, they will be diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety and secondary depression...

A naval blockade will work, to my opinion, to get those guys out immediately.

What I can't understand is why the marines are making tv statements.
There is no reasson for them to do this or to admit that they had made the error!!!
This is very very bad.
Surely they have been taught about their rights and their duty and conduct after capture?????

Agreed. Name, rank and serial number... that is all... if your captors ask anything else the most you should answer is a hearty **** YOU!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...FWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/04/04/wiran704.xml
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6525545.stm

Well, they're released now; but as a "gift"? I feel disgusted. They kidnapped those peeps, then they lied about the coordinates (the guy in Tehran who let out the first Iranian coordinate must've been hung by now) and from what I can see, the cost for releasing them on us is outright humiliation. Looks as though those 5 terrorists are going to be set free too. Quite interested to see what Whitehall's going to do but I don't think I'd be awfully surprised if this happens again soon.

Back