128 Students Suspended at Ind. School

Luis has the nail ont he head, but...

Our school implements a dress code and is more bureaucratic about it than the U.S. military. Khaki pants, white polo shirt, I.D. at all times, clean shaven and clean haircut. BUT- we still have the same apathy problems, the same underachievements, etc. Put things in perspective, people.

Sorry but kids today dres slike thugs and whores. When I was in high school, I wore a clean crisp pair of jeans, a colored T-shirt (no images), sneakers, and a ball cap.

That's right.
I went to a private school in Adelaide and our uniform consisted of black shoes, grey pressed trousers, white shirt, blue woolen jumper, tie in the tartan of your school house, and a navy blue blazer with gold buttons and yellow (gold) piping. I think it is totally acceptable to make student wear a uniform (let alone casual wear), as it creates a level of pride in yourself and your school

What is it that "the system" wants? Do they want individuals, who think for themselves even if this means they wear something you don't like? Or do you prefer somekind of standard because it is better for something?? And what is it better for?
Here I am thinking that it is about what the kid does, says and writes at school that should be graded. Do the clothes define the person or his/ her actions?

Ted said:
What is it that "the system" wants? Do they want individuals, who think for themselves even if this means they wear something you don't like? Or do you prefer somekind of standard because it is better for something?? And what is it better for?
Here I am thinking that it is about what the kid does, says and writes at school that should be graded. Do the clothes define the person or his/ her actions?

The rationale for a dress code, is to foster a feeling that the school administration believes that clothing fads and clothing contests have no place in a house of learning. They try to emphasise that education is why students are there ... NOT ... a clothing store and design center where the students act like clothes horses.

Statistics partially bear them out - where a school has a dress code that is strictly enforced, students invariably score 10%-15 % higher grades and the students are better behaved.

If you were a parent, wouldn't you be in favor of that.

The rationale for a dress code, is to foster a feeling that the school administration believes that clothing fads and clothing contests have no place in a house of learning. They try to emphasise that education is why students are there ... NOT ... a clothing store and design center where the students act like clothes horses.

Statistics partially bear them out - where a school has a dress code that is strictly enforced, students invariably score 10%-15 % higher grades and the students are better behaved.

If you were a parent, wouldn't you be in favor of that.

But Chief, a serious school knows that their emphasis lays on education, so why expect that it lays with clothing. The same goes for the grades... A school that has a dress code usually also has a stricter learning environment. It is this stricter environment that gives the students a better preparation for the uncoming test; thus a higher grade. So this is due to the system and would also work if the kids wore their own clothing.

I've had quite a few pupils for after school classes. It was this extra effort they made and extra attention they received that made them pass their exam. Once again; the way they dressed had no effect on their grade.

Of course dress codes adhere to a social environment. If you live in a slum, you won't wear a tie and sweater. If you'd live in a upperclass neigbourhood, you'd probably not wear a tank top and baggy pants... That is true. But then it is the social influence that makes for poorer results and not the clothing.

I suppose the parents would be in favor paying the thousands of dollars extra to send their kids to these private schools where the dress codes are strictly enforced too. Since that is most likely what is making the difference so great. My high school scored in the top 100 in the nation for best AP Program, do we have a strict dress code? Nope. The same school according to No Child Left Behind is not reading and writing proficent, now why could this be? I will tell you, our school was a cluster site (special education) and ELL (English Language Learners, kids who just came to the country.) and according to NCLB every student has to take the exact same test, that means the spec. ed. kids were being told to do Algebra and Geometry problems when they just can't do that. We test our Junior at a Junior level for NCLB, California gets around this by testing their Juniors at a third grade level, it makes their test results look better.

Dress codes have little effect on grades, there are lurking variables at work here.

True, but a dress code, not necessarily a strict one, can sometimes improve the learning environment by eliminating the need to always worry about what you are wearing, the need to worry about wether you are up to date with the latest cool trends, etc.

Yeah, umm, having graduated less than 18 months ago and being in college right now, I feel fairly confident saying that what a person is or is not wearing is of little concern to them. Let's see, I would worry about it for about 2 minutes a day, max, went something like this: "Hmm, are these clothes dirty or clean? They were in the clean clothes pile so I assume they are clean, nobody is going to notice or care anyways." hop in the shower and thirty minutes later I was at school, and you know what? Nobody cared. If you are ever in doubt about your clothes hit up the Sear's/Kohl's/J.C. Penny's/Old Navy clearance rack and grab some plain t's. You can't go wrong with a plain t-shirt.

But thats the mentality of most guys...Girls, however, are a different story. And seeing as girls make up about as much if not more of a schools population, you can still worry about it.

Dress codes are also in place for safety. At my High School, no one was allowed to wear shorts expect for PE Class (which was the school PE Uniform). It was done because in Miami, it's hot as hell, most folks wear shorts. Thus by seeing someone on school grounds in shorts pointed them straight out that they didn't belong to the school.

Our dress code was:
Boys- Skin tight Levis pulled down to the buttocks with a belt 1/4 inch wide. T-shirt, also tight, with a pack of Luckies rolled in the sleeve. shoes with needle point toes and usually black with white sidewalls. White socks.

Girls- Straight, tight skirt with hem below the knees. White loose blouse with the collar turned up and tucked into the skirt. The blouse was interchangable with a skin tight sweater blouse, usually pink. Jewelry was either someone's Senior ring on a chain around their neck or a small heart locket. Ever present was the penny loafers with dimes in them and white socks which had a cuff type roll. Great for dancing. That's why we called them Sock-hops.

I believe that you guys are over reacting about a simple dresscode. I've scrolled through this thread and seen some of you guys call people idiots for wearing certain stuff and so on but really, how does the way you dress affect your intelligence? I mean as long as you're not naked or exposing unnecsasary (I know I spelled that wrong) parts of your body (ie asscracks) or anything gang related, it shouldnt matter what you wear. It seems like most of you are reminiscing about what you used to wear to school. Guess what. Times change. Wearing pressed pants and polos isnt always the style anymore. Get over it.

Many of you have contributed a lot of information that support educational systems requiring a 'dress code' to set the tone within the educational system. I realise that there is more to it than simply requiring a certain clothing code ... but ... there IS a correlation between the code and slightly higher grades. Grant you there were other intangibles at work. This is supported by more than one study (Michigan, New York and others).

Missileer's year book photo...

Fonzie.jpg

I am strongly against high school dress codes. Less comfortable, more inconvenient, mindlessly boring.

Besides, what will I have to look at in school if the girls can't wear what they want?

It's not like I'm going to wear a 420 shirt with weed on it. That'd just get me searched.

Back