101st (Airborne) Air Assault

Popeye

I've always like WWII and liked the 101st... could be a possibility for me when I get a little bit older.

Does anyone know where I can get some good info on them.. or possibly share their opinions/thoughts/comments about them and/or experiences.

Thanks,
Graham

Yes, I have & it does give some good information, but most of that is kind of standard, I wanna learn some details and about what you do.

Thank you though!!

What sort of details? It's an outstanding leg (non-airborne) infantry division, and if you don't plane on going abn, a very good unit to be with.

WOW. Thanks a bunch guy on my right. Didn't know they had a seperate site for themselves.

Did your Uncle like it?

Plus, share your opinions of it, ex. do you think it is a good unit or not?

Yes, it's a good place to be .. if you're a leg. If you want to jump out of planes, then you'll hate it. But remember, they are doing the same job as the Abn units right now .. playing cop. They're infantry, they have good standards, higher than you'll find in most leg units .. but like every unit, div, etc .. they have their ups and downs. It's all what you make of it. If you want to blow things up and shoot people, try to get to 101st .. if you want to blow things up, shoot people, and jump out of a plane, try to get to an Abn unit.

Jumping out of a plane would be nice... but I could manage without :D

RnderSafe what is the difference in operations between the 101st and Rangers.

Because if I am going to join I think it would come down to those 2... and also what is your opinion about it?

The 101st is a conventional infantry unit. The 75th is under USASOC.

If you play your cards right in your contract, and slots are available, you'll be able to get 101st easily. If you opt for the Option 40 (Ranger contract -guarantees you Abn school, and a chance to pass RIP [Ranger Indoctrination Program]) you'll have a chance to serve in a Ranger batt, but, if you don't pass RIP, it's off to the 82nd (most likely). So, in this respect, one is almost a guarantee .. the other is simply a chance.

If you are assigned to 101st, you'll stay there .. even if you suck, you're there. In the Ranger Batt, just because you passed RIP, doesn't mean you'll stay. So, I think one of the biggest differences bewtween the units stems from the fact that it's not only harder to get into the 75th (with RIP as the weeding out), but to stay in the 75th, it's a day-to-day test. The 75th has the ability to DX any assclowns that find a way through the system once assigned.

Cooks, clerks, and supply guys do PT, Live Fires, jump, and go to Ranger school. The standard in training, equipment, discipline, PT, readiness, etc. is higher and tougher in the 75th.

Now, this is not to say the light infantry is easy. It is not. Ground pounding leg infantry in units like the 101st is no picnic. It's tough training, especially if you find yourself in a squared away company. The 101st is an outstanding division with very capable infantry units (as has been proven time and time again) but its missions and capabilities are very different than that of the 75th.

And I guess I don't need to mention that the 75th is abn.

I can honestly say, I contribute much of the success of my career in the military due to the 75th and what I experienced while serving in batt.

Because if I am going to join I think it would come down to those 2... and also what is your opinion about it?

If you're considering enlisting, there is no greater challenge the entire US military offers over all to a first time enlistee than to try and go Ranger. A hard charger, with a "will do" attitude has a good chance of making it, but it's not a guarantee.

Also, if youre looking to see a little action, you're chances are higher in the 75th. The OPTEMPO is much higher. But remember, with a war going on, everyone is going to get their piece of the pie, albeit in different ways.

Wow, thanks for all that info Rnder!

Sounds like I would rather be a Ranger, but not making it and being put into the 82nd scares me... :?

Sounds like I would rather be a Ranger, but not making it and being put into the 82nd scares me...

If you're worried about not making it, then you should enlist 11X without Option 40. Not only does it take drive and determination to get and remain in batt, but it's got to be something you want above anything else in the world. A lot of it is heart, and if you don't have the true desire, you won't make it, no matter your physical abilities. You have to really want to be a Ranger to make it, because it requires you to give 200%, sweat, blood and tears, day in and day out.

The 82nd is a great division, but you don't want to go there because you failed RIP, or worse, get sent to leg land.

Don't rush into enlisting, take time to really think about what you want, see what drives you .. learn your limitations (physical and mental). Research, ask questions .. I think you'll find your mind will make itself up for you.

So in retrosect, what does the 75th do that the 101st doesn't? Besides jump training... like mission and operations wise.

The 75th can perform under various command structures. It can work under a Corps, JSOTF, ARSOTF, JTF, etc. Ultimately, you can filter the differences just by looking at the command structure of the 75th and the 101st.

The Regiment conducts special operations missions, the 101st doesn't. That isn't to say the 75th won't be out pulling security at a checkpoint, or kicking in a hadj's door, while the 101st comes stomping up right behind only to kick in the same door after they leave.
So, some are the same .. and most are different.

Go to www.google.com and look under their "news" search section. Read articles about the 101st and 75th during OEF and OIF .. while they aren't going to be completely accurate (as news articles are wont to be) you'll get the idea.

Thank you once again! I'll donate my 8 MilBucks to you for your support :lol: Yea but anyways thanks again.

Back