10 Years

AlexKall

Today, ten years ago I got the news that M/S Estonia sank. And that one in my class's dad was onboard the ship. I remember it as if it was yesterday, i was in third grade (9 years old), the time was 8:00 am, it was the 28th September 1994. The teacher explained what had happened that night. After she had told us what had happened we dicuessed it in the class (30 students from the age of 7 to 9). About 8:30 we held a quiet minute for the dead and especially the dad to one of our class mates. Its a day that is etched into my memory and I can't stop thinking of it, never will. All this because of a paper.

Estonia wasnt allowed to go more then 20 nm on the open sea, it was supposed to have a paper stating this, but the finnish sea control agency (sjöfartsverket) never did issue this paper. About ten years after it was built, the fact that it was limited to the 20 nm had been forgotten. The rute, between Stockholm and Tallin where it sank was 130 nm over the limit. There was never a truthfull investigation on the cause, speculations is that the front hatch(Bow door) was to week for the types of waves and weather that is present on the Baltic Sea (Östersjön), the weather that night was fearsome. At least 852 lost their life, the reason beeing a safty violation more then 30 years ago.

The paper that was supposed to have been issued was supposed to limit the ship from going more then 20 nm beacuse the bow doors ware too week to coop with the punnishment of the open sea. It sank fast trapping most of the people inside the hull when it sank. People had only time to lower a few lifeboats.

Only half of the people in the the life boats made it, the sea was to tought on them, they drowned on the open sea away from Estonia.

I tip my hat to the rescuers who saved 137 people that day/night under extremely shitty conditions.

And to those who perished, may you all have fair winds and following seas where you´re at now.

//KJ.

Estonia

It has been some media talk in Norway (and perhaps in the rest of Scanidinavia) that the bow ports unlikely were the reason for the Estonia to sink.

Paper reports and experts on the subject stated that it was likely to be an underwater damage causing the vessel to sink that rapidly. However these reports was classified secret (?) and parts of them leaked to the media.

This also reminds me of the Scandinavian Star accident in the 1980s where they first claimed a pyroman cause the vessel to take fire. Some time later the theory of an insurance fraud from the brookers was published.

Never the less, the people died and nothing can be done to bring them back!

Rest in Peace

Yeah, I remember it. I'm amazed that its been 10 years, but I guess it has. My heart goes out to all those who lost family or friends in that tragedy. I remember there being some confusion over how it all happened, but I've not a clue if they've ever sorted all that out.

I was too young to remember or I just didnt hear about it but my condolences.

No offence Redleg but great tragety is a stupid phrase.I'll stop now before I become Geroge Carlin

Stafford911 said:
No offence Redleg but great tragety is a stupid phrase.I'll stop now before I become Geroge Carlin

How about a tragic tragedy then?? ;)

Re: Estonia

sunblock said:
It has been some media talk in Norway (and perhaps in the rest of Scanidinavia) that the bow ports unlikely were the reason for the Estonia to sink.

Paper reports and experts on the subject stated that it was likely to be an underwater damage causing the vessel to sink that rapidly. However these reports was classified secret (?) and parts of them leaked to the media.

This also reminds me of the Scandinavian Star accident in the 1980s where they first claimed a pyroman cause the vessel to take fire. Some time later the theory of an insurance fraud from the brookers was published.

Never the less, the people died and nothing can be done to bring them back!

Rest in Peace

That was a report that was leaked of a possible damaged hull. Divings however showed that there ware no damages to the hull as reports in the news stated (if i remember it right) the most likley thing is that the bow door lock was damaged in the hard weather with the pounding of the waves. :(

Back