A-10 survivability

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Okay so here's a good link on the A-10's surviability.

A personal account on the A-10's survivability
http://www.cradleofaviation.org/history/aircraft/a-10.html

Global security's article on the A-10 also has stories on its survivability
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/a-10.htm
"Furthermore, redundant primary structural and control surfaces enhance survivability. Lastly, the long low-set wings are designed to allow flight, even if half a wing is completely blown off."
Half a wing! I've read this in another book as well... can't remember which though.

Basically the A-10's survivability is helped by two things:
1) redundant flight control systems
2) armor

The "titanium bathtub" where the pilot sits is merely the most heavily armored part of the plane.

i LOVE THE A10!!! It is just such a powerful plane....not the fastst, but very powerful and you just can't break it!

The A-10 Worthog or Thunderbolt is able to recieve tremendous punishment. Because of its thick armor and ammunition, the speed and Maximum Altittude is limited, however when the A-10 begins to make its decline and begins skimming the surface, the aircraft can do the almost impossible for any type of jet-propulsion aircraft. It can fly very very low.

I see and hear A-10's everyday. The sound of its gun going off is amazing, "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" If you are an American soldier on the ground it is the most comforting sound you will ever hear, anything within its path is going to be devastated. I believe ive heard some soldiers call it "the flying tank" because it is so durable.

Big_Z said:
I see and hear A-10's everyday. The sound of its gun going off is amazing, "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" If you are an American soldier on the ground it is the most comforting sound you will ever hear, anything within its path is going to be devastated. I believe ive heard some soldiers call it "the flying tank" because it is so durable.

Hind is a flying tank.... and A-10 wont be able to take many 30mm shots,

yea A-10 is a great plane,but i think its just as survivable as F16 since pretty few of them were shot down and crippled over 1999 bombing,as u can see on pictures above.But yet i find that aircraft to fit its purpouse

The A-10 is a class above the F-16 when it comes to survivability.
Consider the following:
The A-10's system redundancy is far more elaborate than the F-16's.
The A-10's engines are above the wings and the fuselage, guarding it from small arms fire more effectively than the F-16's F-100 Turbofans. The entire bottom fuselage of the F-16 is practically its engine.
The A-10 has two engines and can fly with only one. The F-16 has only one engine.
The A-10 can fly with half a wing ripped off. For the F-16, this is a good time to punch out.

um... new tank, 1 30mm gau cannon and one 125mm A-89 tank cannon

the advantage of this is that the 30mm will keep support and disdurb the enemy while the main gun finishes the gun off

ummm... ( sends idea to chinese military) hehe :D

AA said:
um... new tank, 1 30mm gau cannon and one 125mm A-89 tank cannon

the advantage of this is that the 30mm will keep support and disdurb the enemy while the main gun finishes the gun off

ummm... ( sends idea to chinese military) hehe :D

For a tank / AFV gun you dod not need such a high rate of fire, the same cartridge is fired by the new Bushmaster gun in 30mm which will be in US service soon, even though they will not use DU and the new ammo has steel cased cartridges (GAU-8A has aluminum for weight reasons).
The GAU-8A is as it is becasue when attacking from air you have only extreme little time on target and this is when high rate of fire is needed to bring in as many projectiles as possible (same as air defense).
Further 30mm was suitable those days because the target is attacked from above where the armor was traditionally the weakest (has changed in recent years - in proper armies). It will not make a good tank gun because you will still have to attack the enemy tank from the front / side where the armor is way too strong for evan a 30mm DU projectile.
The A-10 was supposed to be phased out but got a second chance after they figured that tanks in tin can republics still the old crap from the 50s-70s is being used and that future conflicts will not be between overarmed super powers but with terrorists and small tyrannic kingdoms. This is what the A-10 is still good for.

I don't see the A-10 being phased out because there's simply no other plane like it. If it is phased out, it's for budget reasons.
But the A-10 has showed incredible survivability to paperwork as well ;)

The A-10 isn't due to be phased out until 2028

German guy - I think you're forgetting that the A-10 also had 11 hardpoints capable of carrying up to 10 Maverick Missiles that can kill any tank at a range of up to 45km. So even if tanks can stop the rounds from its cannon, one A-10 can take out 10 tanks and have lots and lots of chaingun ammo left to use on APCs, LAVs, buildings, troops, bunkers, etc.

Very very useful machine that isn't going to be gone for a long time.

Was saying it was supposed to be phased out and it got changed.
No need to convince me.

A current tank will stop a 30mm DU round, not 400 or 500 hundred of them which a A-10 can spit out in under a minute. Their rate of fire is insane, when you hear them letting off rounds it almost sounds continuous, there is no "boom boom boom" or "tutututut".

Just a beautiful Humm :D

I saw a demonstration of its cannon at an airshow in 99' and that's when I knew I was never going to hear a more beautiful sound 8)

God I'm so envious of the guys who get to see that thing work in actual combat.

Back