A-10 survivability

Every day at work when we hear that cannon go off every body stops what they are doing and listens closely, the boss included. It truly is a beautiful sound.

I love the A-10, I am so glad those military beancounters wern't able to kill it.

Actually it was the Air Force that tried to kill the A-10. Jet jockeys just hated the idea of a jet that couldn't go supersonic. It was the Army and their better understanding of close air support that saved the A-10.

Seeing that the planes flew with half of a wing blown off, one engine only, half a tail missing etc., I guess it could, depending on where it got hit.

It would be insane for the US Army to phase out the A-10 without any direct replacement ready to replace it. CAS is fundamental to modern armoured warfare and nothing is as good as the A-10 in that role.

The A-10 would have been a decisive weapon of war had a Soviet invasion of Germany ever happened.

The A10 is the mother of all CAS craft. It's got more redundancy than a tank and very few, if any tanks can withstand a few of the 30mm rounds.
It's slow, low, HEAVILY armed and armored.

Only way to make it even better?
Add a minigun pod under each wing, one rocket pod under each wing and mavericks on the rest. With the 2 miniguns, it can take out personell, unarmored targets and such. I think it would be the one man equevalent of a Spectre...

This is why I love being stationed at Fort Bragg.

Almost everyday I see these beautiful beasts take off and fly around for hours.

Ive read that the F-35 will eventually replace the A-10. Do you think it will be a viable alternative as it doesnt seem that the design could be modified to offer the close ground support the A-10 does.

one of the best things about the CAS abilities of the A-10 is the huge morale boost it gives soldiers. the f-35 wont provide that morale because its not unique enough. it looks just like any other fighter. when an A-10 is coming your way, you know. especially when those guns go off. the sound of an A-10 is one of a kind.

Back