A-10 survivability - Page 3

--

January 28th, 2005  
Big_Z

Every day at work when we hear that cannon go off every body stops what they are doing and listens closely, the boss included. It truly is a beautiful sound.
January 28th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Unless you're on the recieving end. In which case you won't hear it if it does kill you.
April 10th, 2005  
pyromedic89

Until modern AFV's get thick top/roof armor, the avenger rounds will continue to slice/dice em' up.
--
April 10th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
I love the A-10, I am so glad those military beancounters wern't able to kill it.
Actually it was the Air Force that tried to kill the A-10. Jet jockeys just hated the idea of a jet that couldn't go supersonic. It was the Army and their better understanding of close air support that saved the A-10.
May 19th, 2005  
behemoth79

The A-10 has got the be the best CAS aircraft out there. It just wont go down. I wonder, can it take an rpg round?
May 19th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Seeing that the planes flew with half of a wing blown off, one engine only, half a tail missing etc., I guess it could, depending on where it got hit.
May 19th, 2005  
Doppleganger

It would be insane for the US Army to phase out the A-10 without any direct replacement ready to replace it. CAS is fundamental to modern armoured warfare and nothing is as good as the A-10 in that role.

The A-10 would have been a decisive weapon of war had a Soviet invasion of Germany ever happened.
May 19th, 2005  
bushpig1998

The A10 is the mother of all CAS craft. It's got more redundancy than a tank and very few, if any tanks can withstand a few of the 30mm rounds.
It's slow, low, HEAVILY armed and armored.

Only way to make it even better?
Add a minigun pod under each wing, one rocket pod under each wing and mavericks on the rest. With the 2 miniguns, it can take out personell, unarmored targets and such. I think it would be the one man equevalent of a Spectre...
May 19th, 2005  
Desert_Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
The A-10 has got the be the best CAS aircraft out there. It just wont go down. I wonder, can it take an rpg round?
Probably, the titanium bathtub you sit in can take AAA shells
May 21st, 2005  
hicks

This is why I love being stationed at Fort Bragg.

Almost everyday I see these beautiful beasts take off and fly around for hours.