World War One

I found this on YouTube and I watched his other videos too. I gravitate toward WWI more now due to the conspiracy theorists have found WWII

Check out his stuff about Ypres as well.

It is quite long, but it is worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dzSYKqUEc

There are conspiracies around WW2?

Outside of Blackadder goes forth I have struggled to get into WW1, I have found the interwar period and the Weimar Republic quite interesting though.

Outside of Blackadder goes forth I have struggled to get into WW1, I have found the interwar period and the Weimar Republic quite interesting though.

Finding Hitler in South America and what the Germans did in the mines and tunnels. I am also quite bored with Naziism, both the old and the new ones. The Pacific battles are more interesting.

The Great War and even the Korean War "disappear" in the shadows of the Second World War. I tend to be more interesting in what happened around the Ypres Salient. All the missing and the unidentified soldiers gets my attention.

There are countless conspiracies about WW2 :
Hitler was responsible ( not the Germans ) , the Jews were responsible, FDR,Stalin, Chamberlain , Churchill ,.....
There are also countless conspiracies about WW1 :it was Sarajevo, no it was the Czar, Poincaré , the Kaiser, etc,etc .
No one in Belgium (except the inhabitants of Ypres, for commercial reasons ) is interested in 1st,second and third Ypres .
WW1 started 109 years ago . Thus...

Yes but most have been long debunked, Hitler and the Germans are responsible for WW2 as are numerous events such as Versailles but no one individual can claim responsibility and I have no idea how anyone could logically think the Jews started it, that is simply a case of individual prejudice.

Only idiots think Germany had nuke or a secret ufo base in Antarctica so as said the conspiracies have long ago been debunked.

Yes but most have been long debunked, Hitler and the Germans are responsible for WW2 as are numerous events such as Versailles but no one individual can claim responsibility and I have no idea how anyone could logically think the Jews started it, that is simply a case of individual prejudice.

Only idiots think Germany had nuke or a secret ufo base in Antarctica so as said the conspiracies have long ago been debunked.

Debunked conspiracies do not disappear .
Daily Express from 24 March 1933 : ''Judea declares war on Germany .''
There are still a lot of people in the US,Europe and especially the ME who agree with this claim .
Maybe more today than in 1933 .

Debunked conspiracies do not disappear .
Daily Express from 24 March 1933 : ''Judea declares war on Germany .''
There are still a lot of people in the US,Europe and especially the ME who agree with this claim .
Maybe more today than in 1933 .

You don't have to tell me, I still encounter "flat earthers", "anti-gravity" and "Jews/Freemasons run the world" nutters but the reality is these people are idiots and the world in general knows it.

All it successfully proves is that the quality of our education has regressed over time.

Finding Hitler in South America and what the Germans did in the mines and tunnels. I am also quite bored with Naziism, both the old and the new ones. The Pacific battles are more interesting.

The Great War and even the Korean War "disappear" in the shadows of the Second World War. I tend to be more interesting in what happened around the Ypres Salient. All the missing and the unidentified soldiers gets my attention.

You don't think the shear magnitude of WW2 is why other wars pale in its shadow?

I struggle to be interested in WW1 primarily because it was a transitional war almost a Napoleonic war fought on an industrial scale, everything about it was wrong.

By contrast I have a large interest in both the US Civil war and the Franco-Prussian war.

You don't have to tell me, I still encounter "flat earthers", "anti-gravity" and "Jews/Freemasons run the world" nutters but the reality is these people are idiots and the world in general knows it.

All it successfully proves is that the quality of our education has regressed over time.

There still a lot of people who believe that the '' Jews '' were warned about 9/11 .
In August 2022 a Muslim professor from the university of Denver (Colorado ) said that the stabbing attack of Salmon Rushdie was part of a Zionist conspiracy to make Iran look bad on the international stage .
It was a Mossad Job .
There were no sanctions against the man .

You don't think the shear magnitude of WW2 is why other wars pale in its shadow?

I struggle to be interested in WW1 primarily because it was a transitional war almost a Napoleonic war fought on an industrial scale, everything about it was wrong.

By contrast I have a large interest in both the US Civil war and the Franco-Prussian war.

Yes, what I am catching from the Great War are the individual stories, it is much harder to find similar stories from the Napoleonic wars or even older ones. I have found one grass root story from the thirty years war and a few from the Napoleonic wars. I planned to take a deep dive into the Crimean war and the war of 1812.

Why was everything about it wrong ?

Just what I said it was a transitional war that went backwards.
The Crimean war (153-56) was effectively the end of the Napoleonic age of warfare.
The US Civil war (1861-65) was effectively a transitional war where new technology began to assert itself rail to move troops around, ironclads, breech loading rifles.
It was followed by the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71) which saw progress in tactics, logistics and equipment, it was a war of movement.
Then came WW1 all new equipment produced on a massive scale, planned as a war of movement that devolved into two armies charging across a field at each other and getting slaughtered, it was in many ways a regression to the1865 campaign outside Richmond.

that devolved into two armies charging across a field at each other and getting slaughtered, it was in many ways a regression to the1865 campaign outside Richmond.

That was the situation on the Western Front, but it was totally different in the ME, in the Balkans, in Russia .
And, was Gettysburg also not something as two armies charging across a field at each other and getting slaughtered ?
The campaign outside Richmond in 1865 was the end of the Civil War,as the crossing of the Rhine in 1945 was the end on the war in the West against Germany .
The Napoleonic ''Wars '' were in fact short military campaigns decided by a battle and can not be compared to the Crimea War .
I would also not define the war of 1870 as a war of movement ,as the German advance in France stopped very quickly .Sedan happened 2 months after the start of the war, but the war lasted 8 months after Sedan .

That was the situation on the Western Front, but it was totally different in the ME, in the Balkans, in Russia .
And, was Gettysburg also not something as two armies charging across a field at each other and getting slaughtered ?
The campaign outside Richmond in 1865 was the end of the Civil War,as the crossing of the Rhine in 1945 was the end on the war in the West against Germany .
The Napoleonic ''Wars '' were in fact short military campaigns decided by a battle and can not be compared to the Crimea War .
I would also not define the war of 1870 as a war of movement ,as the German advance in France stopped very quickly .Sedan happened 2 months after the start of the war, but the war lasted 8 months after Sedan .

Gettysburg was just that but it the opening skirmish was dismounted Union cavalry using repeater rifles as I said war was in a transitional phase post Crimean war and WW1 should have continued that but it didn't which is largely why the casualty rate was so high.

You over simplify/trivialize some of his observations. Gettysburg was just a typical battle, in the WWI "Over the top" attacks small attacks were routinely made that had no chance of any real success, just throwing lives away. The Petersburg Campaign, usually called the Siege of Petersburg, wasn't a siege like in the past when a city or castle was surrounded. It was trench warfare due to heavy firepower making attacks very costly. The maneuver warfare that Grant used brilliantly in the Vicksburg Campaign got bogged down at Petersburg the same way as the armies in WWI. Technology: Also the Armed train was created by the CSA. After the War a proposal was found in the records at Richmond of an idea to use balloons to drop chemical bombs into Ft. Pickens during the long stand off at Pensacola in 61-62.

You over simplify/trivialize some of his observations. Gettysburg was just a typical battle, in the WWI "Over the top" attacks small attacks were routinely made that had no chance of any real success, just throwing lives away. The Petersburg Campaign, usually called the Siege of Petersburg, wasn't a siege like in the past when a city or castle was surrounded. It was trench warfare due to heavy firepower making attacks very costly. The maneuver warfare that Grant used brilliantly in the Vicksburg Campaign got bogged down at Petersburg the same way as the armies in WWI. Technology: Also the Armed train was created by the CSA. After the War a proposal was found in the records at Richmond of an idea to use balloons to drop chemical bombs into Ft. Pickens during the long stand off at Pensacola in 61-62.

To be fair I have been rather generic in my terminology primarily because it would be impossible to adequately validate my claims in-depth in such short posts.
But you are right the US Civil war in my opinion should be noted for its innovation and attempts to move away from the Napoleonic model, it influenced Bismarck and the Franco-Prussian conflict enough to make it almost the first modern war.

Anyway, I suppose I should bring this back on topic I found this rather interesting.
Livens Large Gallery Flame Projector they attempted to deploy for the battle of the Somme.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought this was going to be facts and history.

Since I'm here did you know that the Battle of Verdun was the most Bloody and Longest battle in the Western front of the great war?

I thought this was going to be facts and history.

Since I'm here did you know that the Battle of Verdun was the most Bloody and Longest battle in the Western front of the great war?
I suspect that it is debatable which battle was the bloodiest, I would lean towards the 100 days offensive from August to November 1918 which generated 1.8million casualties, Verdun was just less than 1 million.
I would guess Verdun was possibly 3rd or 4th bloodiest.

I would also argue the the longest battle of WW1 was the same as WW2, it was the battle of the Atlantic.

I suspect that it is debatable which battle was the bloodiest, I would lean towards the 100 days offensive from August to November 1918 which generated 1.8million casualties, Verdun was just less than 1 million.
I would guess Verdun was possibly 3rd or 4th bloodiest.

I would also argue the the longest battle of WW1 was the same as WW2, it was the battle of the Atlantic.
Still I wouldn't want to fight in Verdun.

Back