Literature

I3BrigPvSk

The Viking
I found a rather interesting book about The Franco-Prussian War by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm. I haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty good so far.

I am also asking for good literature about the 14th army in Burma, a multinational army fighting the Japanese and it was pretty successful as well

I found a rather interesting book about The Franco-Prussian War by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm. I haven't finished it yet, but it is pretty good so far.

I am also asking for good literature about the 14th army in Burma, a multinational army fighting the Japanese and it was pretty successful as well
I have a couple on the Franco-Prussian War that I think are worth reading:
1. Franco Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-71- by Michael. Howard.
2. The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871- by Geoffrey Wawro
3. A Duel of Giants: Bismarck, Napoleon III, and the Origins of the Franco-Prussian War Paperback – by David Wetzel.

The first is considered the standard text on the war in this part of the world, Howard's book compliments it fairly well, is an easier read but I think is a bit revisionist and Wetzel's book is an excellent book about the political causes of the war and a good insight into the early mindset that led to WW1 and WW2.

I haven't seen a copy of The Franco-Prussian War by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm that isn't in German and while I can read it, it would take about twice as long as the war for me to read and process it.

Two books on the 14th Army and the Burma campaign I would recommend are:
1. Fighting with the Fourteenth Army in Burma: Original War Summaries of the Battle Against Japan 1943–1945 - by James Luto
2. Military Economics, Culture and Logistics in the Burma Campaign, 1942-1945 by Graham Dunlop

I like understanding the logistics of campaigns so I found this book very useful.

another is BURMA '44 - by James Holland

I have a couple on the Franco-Prussian War that I think are worth reading:
1. Franco Prussian War: The German Invasion of France, 1870-71- by Michael. Howard.
2. The Franco-Prussian War: The German Conquest of France in 1870-1871- by Geoffrey Wawro
3. A Duel of Giants: Bismarck, Napoleon III, and the Origins of the Franco-Prussian War Paperback – by David Wetzel.

The first is considered the standard text on the war in this part of the world, Howard's book compliments it fairly well, is an easier read but I think is a bit revisionist and Wetzel's book is an excellent book about the political causes of the war and a good insight into the early mindset that led to WW1 and WW2.

I haven't seen a copy of The Franco-Prussian War by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm that isn't in German and while I can read it, it would take about twice as long as the war for me to read and process it.

Two books on the 14th Army and the Burma campaign I would recommend are:
1. Fighting with the Fourteenth Army in Burma: Original War Summaries of the Battle Against Japan 1943–1945 - by James Luto
2. Military Economics, Culture and Logistics in the Burma Campaign, 1942-1945 by Graham Dunlop

I like understanding the logistics of campaigns so I found this book very useful.

another is BURMA '44 - by James Holland
I read the book by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm in Swedish so somebody might have translated it into English.

Thanks I will check if I can get these books (I prefer to borrow books at the libraries)

I read the book by Klaus-Jurgen Bremm in Swedish so somebody might have translated it into English.

Thanks I will check if I can get these books (I prefer to borrow books at the libraries)
I am slowly buying the kindle versions where available, I don't like reading on a tablet much but it reduces the amount of storage space they use up in the house.
Also with a number of the older more valuable books it allows me to put them into safe storage or museums for conservation.

I view books as dust collectors, it is nice to have a private library, but they just collecting dust. I can buy older books at the library when they get rid of older books. I just bought two books by Hastings (the war in Europe 1944-45 and one about Pacific, it was in the latter one I read a chapter about the 14th army and it got my attention.

I view books as dust collectors, it is nice to have a private library, but they just collecting dust. I can buy older books at the library when they get rid of older books. I just bought two books by Hastings (the war in Europe 1944-45 and one about Pacific, it was in the latter one I read a chapter about the 14th army and it got my attention.
I agree, as I inherited an uncles collection it is hard to get rid of them especially as a couple are rare and valuable I decided to hand them over to museums as they can conserve them better than I every can and I buy most if not all of my new books in electronic form so they take up no room but I have access to the information whenever I want it.

Back