Ideal Caliber(s)

ZombieCombatCommand

The debate regarding the best or ideal caliber during a Zombie apocalypse rages on.

The Zombie Combat Command maintains that the 5.56mm NATO round is still the best overall round due to its versatility and performance. Not all threats in a Zombie infested battle ground are Zombies. The 5.56mm round allows you to:

- Fight Zombies
- Protect yourself
- Hunt

All in one caliber.

However, having a ready supply of .22LR is also an excellent choice as it offers the most economic means of taking out Zombies at a distance.

2015%205.56mm%20NATO%20Austria,%20Belgium.jpg

.22lr for me. Can carry hundreds of rounds, low noise, no recoil and can be used for hunting, defense and Z control.

In an overwhelmingly dense urban terrain, the .22LR can bring a LOT of benefit.
The short ranges of practically all engagements minimizes the short range weakness of the .22LR.
The only problem is against hostile forces that know that you have a good supply of useful goods, they can easily out gun you.
However, no matter what caliber you use, having a good supply of .22LR for controlling Zombies and training the next generation of Zombie killers is definitely a smart idea.

.22lr for general purpose, .45 for close range stopping power & 7.62x51 for penetration or distance.

Let's say that your team or group consisted of four shooters. How would you equip the four man team with three different calibers and still have enough room for other equipment/gear?

Let the brainstorming begin!

Strongest shooter would wield .308, other 3 would carry .22lr in preferably high volume format like .22 mp5, and all would use a .45 sidearm. .308 would be either m14 or FNFAL variety for semi auto capability as well as "sniper" work.
However, upon thinking on it, I may re-equip one .22lr with a 12ga. for breaching at a safe distance.
:sniper:

So your format would be:

1x DMR (M14 or FAL)
2x Riflemen (.22LR)
1x Breacher (12ga.)

What kind of environment do you see your team primarily operating in?

I'm going coastal. When every second is precious, water buys time. Travel is mostly unimpeded, and if you do get a swimmer offshore, a gunshot isn't necessarily a dinner bell.

Not a bad idea at all. If you have worked out the details for it.
In that scenario, it won't matter much what kind of ammunition you are using, as long as you can use it to defend yourself from other people primarily!

Realistically only 1 in 50 people own the weapons you are talking about. FNs are thousands of dollars. My Range guy would take a semi .308 like an M14 9mm sidearm. Medic a pistol cal carbine and pistol both 9 mil. Support shooter a smaller caliber semi rifle like a Mini14 or Mini30 and a 9mil pistol. Last guy another Mini14/30 and another 9mil. All would keep AR7.22 survival rifles in a pack and a .22 Walther backup pistol.

Thats the idea. Offshore(most of the time, you will have to resupply weekly), you can wait it out. You can prepare for carnage on stocking runs, but thats why mobility is important. Never in the same place twice. Once you make landfall, that particular port is DOA for X amount of days or weeks. You've called in the bloodhounds. So, ideally, move on. Always in a group small enough that you can always see all members. Too many and you get a tv show. I choose 4. Carefully. I like decision makers and order followers. No room for questions or compassion.

Realistically only 1 in 50 people own the weapons you are talking about. FNs are thousands of dollars. My Range guy would take a semi .308 like an M14 9mm sidearm. Medic a pistol cal carbine and pistol both 9 mil. Support shooter a smaller caliber semi rifle like a Mini14 or Mini30 and a 9mil pistol. Last guy another Mini14/30 and another 9mil. All would keep AR7.22 survival rifles in a pack and a .22 Walther backup pistol.

Fn's aren't hard to come by at all. After licensing the design, there is the HK 91, 93 G3, PTR 91 and G3 and theres even a CETME C93(albeit in .223/5.56). All in the same price range as most AR platform rifles.
I like mini-14s, nice rifle. As far as .22 pistols go, look into the ISSC M22. Its like a baby G17.

Last edited:
In that case, a Mossberg 500, .270 Win bolt action and a .357 revolver. LOL:cowb:. In Ohio, deer is more of a priority than zombies are. If you picked 10 random houses, 6 would have one or more of those 3. 5 would have ARs, and the rest wouldn't have jack.
Theres also the possibility that 1 of those houses will have so many guns in it that he could defend the entire populous. Just beware if that person is waring aluminum foil on his head.

Using what you have is a key part of planning.
I guess this talk has gone from caliber to type of weapon, which is somewhat inevitable. But honestly weapon and caliber are very secondary to primary concerns such as ... water, food, and shelter.

Zombie Combat Command's recommendation:
AR-15 for most of the work.
.22LR weapon of any kind for those who's primary task is anything other than fighting.
Glock 19 for sidearms (if at all).

Absolutely. But sidearm choices are 100% personal. With exception to revolvers. Last resort only. Hahaha. I agree that a polymer frame is a better option to a steel frame.
Hydration is the biggest factor is all of this. Mineral and protien intake are important as well. And for Chrissakes, DO NOT go on forage expeditions for twinkies!
Something I learned accidentally is that brewed tea without sweeteners is a great alternative to water if you require flavor. Hydration, antioxidants, and a reasonable of caffeine. Will, not clean you out like coffee can and has natural mood enhancers like b vitamins. Green tea varieties average slightly less caffeine.
Shelter is another story....

A .22 is highly under rated. I have shot many deer with one, never wounded one. You shoot a deer right under the chin in the white spot where the spine meets the skull. Thats more effective than a head shot. Too high and a head shot can bounce off only stunning them. Shot them out to 125 yards, used a Marlin model 93 lever action. That gun was able to shoot .75 " groups at 100 yards with Winchester hollow points. Had a 4x Leopold rifle scope on it. I now have a Ruger 10/22 that shoots well, just not a tack driver. I don't remember why I sold the Marlin, a weak moment and someone shot it and offered me a lot more than it was worth.

The 5.56mm/.223s would be ideal as a compromise between shooting Zombies and also preventing a situation where you would be outgunned by human hostiles. But yes, the .22LR is a very underrated round.

Back