Found some recordings of WW2 aircrew transmissions

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
While on missions over Germany, thought they were quite interesting...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Read about a time when a B-17 pilot & co-pilot, whose bunks were alongside each other, after a long mission into Germany started talking in their sleep. Others realized they were replaying the whole day's conversation in the cockpit. They got a tape recorder & recorded most of the exchanges between the 2 sleeping pilots. Wonderer what happened to the tape.

Read about a time when a B-17 pilot & co-pilot, whose bunks were alongside each other, after a long mission into Germany started talking in their sleep. Others realized they were replaying the whole day's conversation in the cockpit. They got a tape recorder & recorded most of the exchanges between the 2 sleeping pilots. Wonderer what happened to the tape.
I am a little dubious of these "recordings" as being live.
I am unsure whether the technology existed for the mass installation of the equipment into bombers, my impression is that they are more likely to be transcripts of the mission recorded later especially given how sterile the conversation is.

I am a little dubious of these "recordings" as being live.
I am unsure whether the technology existed for the mass installation of the equipment into bombers, my impression is that they are more likely to be transcripts of the mission recorded later especially given how sterile the conversation is.
Apparently they were "replaying" it in their minds & verbally communicating the cockpit conversations from memory, probably stress induced. Someone had a tape recorder in the barracks.

Back