Can you help a fellow out

Chrystophyr

my name is chris.

i joined the navy at the age of 18.
i got an awesome job doin ET communications on a submarine.
but, as a seeing that i never was a bad kid in high school i thought it would be a great idea to skip a few classes.
push comes to shove and i got kicked from the program.

they sent me to limbo and i sat there and waited for them to assign me a different job.
i got tired of waiting and went to medical and told them i was sick (sicker than i actually was)
they gave me 3 days SIQ and specifically told me to not go off base.
i disobeyd them and went off base the following night...
next morning i went captians mast and told the captian i wasnt mature enough for the military.
i got discharged with a pattern of misconduct, an RE-4, and a General under Honerable discharge.

i am currently at a loss here... i' now 21 and it has been a year and a half since ive been out and cant keep up with todays economy.
i want to rejoin the military.

ive been reading multiple forums and im getting mixed signals from alot of users.
most say i cant. some say i can.
is there really a back door on rejoining with an RE-4?
is there a way for me to get it overturned?
or has my teenage antics dug my grave for getting back in?

can you help a fellow out?

Read our thread about RE-4s.
They're not going to take you back unless they have a massive shortage of personnel.

another thing... why did i get an RE-4 with General Under Honorable?
everywhere else i've looked, RE-4s are only given out when you do something worse than just teenage antics.

any clue to why?

everywhere else i've looked, RE-4s are only given out when you do something worse than just teenage antics.

any clue to why?

Navy is notorious for giving out RE-4 codes, not just for the truly bad apples. His separation code is probably under "other," so that would be the reason for the General Under Honorable.

Chryst, unfortunately in today's military it is going to be a trial getting back in. I can tell you without a doubt the Air Force will not even look at you. The Marine Corps will most likely (99% sure) send you packing and since the Navy gave you the code, they're unlikely to want you back. You can try the Army but a waiver is a huge deal these days, recruiting numbers are plush. One thing you can do is talk to an attorney that specializes in challenging discharges. If you can prove you didn't actually deserve a RE-4, you can get it changed to at least a RE-3.

Talk to an Army recruiter, just give him the deal up front and see what he says. If he gives you the answer I think he will, your only other option will be to challenge the RE-code.

Good luck.

any clue to why?

Teenage antics? You didn`t go to class, went to sick call when you didn`t have to (there is a term for this-malingering), and then disobeyed a direct order. This is a pattern, not "teenage antics". Now that you need a job you have suddenly matured?

Back