Yeager With Pakistan Air Force

YEAGER

“When we arrived in Pakistan in 1971, the political situation between the Pakistanis and Indians was really tense over Bangladesh, or East Pakistan, as it was known in those days, and Russia was backing India with tremendous amounts of new airplanes and tanks. The U.S. and China were backing the Pakistanis. My job was military advisor to the Pakistani air force, headed by Air Marshal Rahim Khan, who had been trained in Britain by the Royal Air Force, and was the first Pakistani pilot to exceed the speed of sound. He took me around to their different fighter groups and I met their pilots, who knew me and were really pleased that I was there. They had about five hundred airplanes, more than half of them Sabres and 104 Starfighters, a few B-57 bombers, and about a hundred Chinese MiG-19s. They were really good, aggressive dogfighters and proficient in gunnery and air combat tactics. I was damned impressed. Those guys just lived and breathed flying.

The Pakistanis whipped their [Indians'] asses in the sky, but it was the other way around in the ground war Because the Pakistanis went encircled in Bengladesh and were getting no more reinforcements unlike their indian counterparts who enjoyed defence pact with USSR resulting in non stop Military supply from Soviets and the help from local rebels. The air war lasted two weeks and the Pakistanis scored a three-to-one kill ratio, knocking out 102 Russian-made Indian jets and losing thirty-four airplanes of their own. PAF retained it's honour of being a victor in Subcontienent inpite of having less then half AIrcrafts then indians.
I’m certain about the figures because I went out several times a day in a chopper and counted the wrecks below. I counted wrecks on Pakistani soil, documented them by serial number, identified the components such as engines, rocket pods, and new equipment on newer planes like the Soviet SU-7 fighter-bomber and the MiG-21 J, their latest supersonic fighter. The Pakistani army would cart off these items for me, and when the war ended, it took two big American Air Force cargo lifters to carry all those parts back to the States for analysis by our intelligence division.

I didn’t get involved in the actual combat because that would’ve been too touchy, but I did fly around and pick up shot-down Indian pilots and take them back to prisoner-of-war camps for questioning. I interviewed them about the equipment they had been flying and the tactics their Soviet advisers taught them to use. I wore a uniform or flying suit all the time, and it was amusing when those Indians saw my name tag and asked, “Are you the Yeager who broke the sound barrier?” They couldn’t believe I was in Pakistan or understand what I was doing there. I told them, “I’m the American Defense Rep here. That’s what I’m doing.
(General (Retd.) Chuck Yeager (USAF) , Book: Yeager, the Autobiography).
pakistan_air_force_1_medium.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Yeager .. Ya i remember this guy .. Prior to the start of hostilities of the Bangladesh War he is said that the Pakistani army would be in New Delhi within a week .. During the war, his twin-engined Beechcraft was destroyed in an Indian air raid on the Chaklala air base - he was incensed and demanded US retaliation. :camo: .. That was his favorite plane

The Guy Loved Pakistan During his stay he spent most of his time making several expeditions to the K2 mountain, vacationing in Swat, trekking and hunting in the Northern Areas and learning the Urdu language.

Infantryman Ali or Pakistan Army Please stop making Propaganda Posts .. they are of no use

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Originally Posted by SWORDFISH 13
Hi,

Yeager .. Ya i remember this guy .. Prior to the start of hostilities of the Bangladesh War he is said that the Pakistani army would be in New Delhi within a week .. During the war, his twin-engined Beechcraft was destroyed in an Indian air raid on the Chaklala air base - he was incensed and demanded US retaliation. :camo: .. That was his favorite plane

The Guy Loved Pakistan During his stay he spent most of his time making several expeditions to the K2 mountain, vacationing in Swat, trekking and hunting in the Northern Areas and learning the Urdu language.

Infantryman Ali or Pakistan Army Please stop making Propaganda Posts .. they are of no use

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Well Said, I'll define it in a more precise way.
Mr Swordfish wanna say all those Embassidors, Military Advisors and those officials who are concerned with Pakistan somehow are mad, devils, stupid Ideots and are the most unsuccesful people. All this because they are concerned with Pakistan from which Mr SWORDFISH is much allergic.
And the Propoganda, mr this statement is the glimpse of your polluted mind otherwise I just wrote Historical facts into Historical column and it's upto you how you read it.

Well Said, I'll define it in a more precise way.
Mr Swordfish wanna say all those Embassidors, Military Advisors and those officials who are concerned with Pakistan somehow are mad, devils, stupid Ideots and are the most unsuccesful people. All this because they are concerned with Pakistan from which Mr SWORDFISH is much allergic.
And the Propoganda, mr this statement is the glimpse of your polluted mind otherwise I just wrote Historical facts into Historical column and it's upto you how you read it.

Hi,

Cool down and read my Post I said he loved Pakistan and recalled his stay in Pakistan as one of the most enjoyable times of his life ....... :drunkb:

Publishing Statements of a Person who Loved a Country so much as Historical facts would not be the Best thing to do.... Everyone accepts that in 1965 India Lost much more Aircrafts that Pakistan did ..

Stop making presumptions .. I have nothing against Pakistan or People who were associated with Pakistan ... Yeager was Good man a man of big stature in History... he was a human being as well... he liked the people he worked with and generally we take the side of the people we like .

And this is the Second time you have made a comment on My Neurological condition in Two days .. try to refrain form making comment on my neurological condition... and you don't have to define my posts ... Write your own posts .. and Let me handle the defining of my Posts if someone needs it.

Peace

Last edited:
On a side line; in February of 2004 during "Cope India", the reason the Indian Air Force wanted 3:1 ratio of aircraft in the air versus the USAF's F-15Cs was because that is the ratio they could reasonably expect in an air conflict with the Pakistan Air Force!

Back