XM1 Prototype testing...pics

crockett007

Back in 1978 through 1980, I was selected along with some other armor NCO's to participate in the XM1 Operational Testing. Later, I was employed by Chrysler Defense(later GD Land Systems) in Lima, Ohio for 16 years, manufacturing the M1 through M1A2 programs.

I would like to share some pics that have never been seen, and if anyone has any questions relating to the Abrams development, I would be glad to answer them:

Here is my assigned tank, PV 5, we had 14 prototypes, all hand built by Chrysler @ Sterling Heights:

Later, at the Lima Army Tank Plant, the first 110 M1's fielded to the US Army are behind us in the group photo:

First operational battalion before their first field exersize, Ft. Hood ...circa 1981, (2/64 I believe):

Thank you very much for sharing. Amazing how modern the prototypes look especially when one takes into account the year, 1978 and the tanks that were fielded by other Western forces at the time - M48 and M60. A real step-change in design philosophy.

Will the Abrams become the B-52 of the MBT world? Aka a tank that just keeps being upgraded and serving with distinction. Certainly looks like it.

I thought I saw an ISIS driving one just like this Tank , didn't think ISIS had the tech to build these things .

I thought I saw an ISIS driving one just like this Tank , didn't think ISIS had the tech to build these things .

Two Egyptian style M 1 Abrams tanks were abandoned by the Iraqi Army in 2014, one had it's blow out valves opened indicating internal explosion.

These tanks are similar to Egyptian built Abrams tanks built under license from the manufacturer.

They do not have U.S. style advanced armor or higher quality U.S. standard ammunition. Nor U.S. guidance and targeting equipment.

They were employed poorly and abandoned in the Iraqi Army's hasty retreat, both were knocked out of action in the fighting. Largely intact however ISIS does not have the capability to refit these machines, which would need to be sent either to Egypt, Australia or even the U.S. to be repaired at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if American bombing missions have not already taken place to destroy them.

But let's say even Russia had them or China dumped on their doorstep, the sub American standard export models would have no new knowledge for any competitor to glean.

China and Russia despite certain design gaps already can self engineer these quality tanks on their own.

Thank you very much for sharing. Amazing how modern the prototypes look especially when one takes into account the year, 1978 and the tanks that were fielded by other Western forces at the time - M48 and M60. A real step-change in design philosophy.

Will the Abrams become the B-52 of the MBT world? Aka a tank that just keeps being upgraded and serving with distinction. Certainly looks like it.

I always thought the hull on that one showed its age with the rounded front guards but certainly the turret gives it a modern look.

The one thing I did notice when looking at those pictures was that the jeep was still in service and that kind of amazed me.

Yeah I think McCain sold it to them in the "arms for anyone that hates Assad" gun drive of a couple of years ago.
However I suspect what you saw was one abandoned by the Iraqi army when it found it could bravely out run ISIS faster on foot.

Last edited:
Back