WWII Quiz

Everyone knows about the infamous Tiger I and that it was expensive to produce, but how expensive? Answers to the nearest Reichsmark please. :)

Everyone knows about the infamous Tiger I and that it was expensive to produce, but how expensive? Answers to the nearest Reichsmark please. :)

The only price I can find for the Tiger 1 was 250800 Reichmarks this was from page 61 of Kursk 1943 - A Statistical Analysis.

Monty, you have part of the answer I am looking for. If you can come up with the rest I'll give you it.

Not really sure what extra information you are looking for so I will try a comparison with other vehicles:
The Tiger 1 was twice as expensive as the Panther (117,100 Reichmarks) and 2.5 times as expensive as the Panzer IV (103,462 Reichmarks) indicating that they would have gotten more "bang for their buck" by standardisng on the Panther although this comparison does not take into account the survivability of each vehicle.

Otherwise I am out of ideas.

Alright, the figure you quoted was for the basic cost of the tank. However, once radios, SMGs, ammunition etc were all added the cost has been quoted as rising to 299,800 Reichsmarks (RMs). However, another figure quoted by Christopher W. Wilbeck, in "Sledgehammers: Strengths and Flaws of Tiger Heavy Tank Battalions in World War II" quoted a cost of 800,000 RMs for each Tiger I which was equivalent to the weekly wages of 30,000 people!!

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1.htm

As you got the answer basically right it's your turn Mr Monty.

Alright, the figure you quoted was for the basic cost of the tank. However, once radios, SMGs, ammunition etc were all added the cost has been quoted as rising to 299,800 Reichsmarks (RMs). However, another figure quoted by Christopher W. Wilbeck, in "Sledgehammers: Strengths and Flaws of Tiger Heavy Tank Battalions in World War II" quoted a cost of 800,000 RMs for each Tiger I which was equivalent to the weekly wages of 30,000 people!!

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/tiger1.htm

As you got the answer basically right it's your turn Mr Monty.

Oddly enough I looked at that site while hunting the answer but unfortunately two other sources gave me the number I settled on.

However I really don't think I did answer the question sufficiently and as I don't have a question ready to go how about we open it up or you take another shot.

OK, here's another one.

The American military, in their AirLand Battle and Network-centric warfare concepts, adopted a doctrine that had been inherent in German armies since the 19th Century and that was highlighted in particular in WWII.

The name of this doctrine please and what it actually is.

How about manoeuvre warfare, which is defeating the enemy by incapacitating their decision-making through shock and disruption brought about by movement (of which Blitzkreig is one example)

OK, here's another one.

The American military, in their AirLand Battle and Network-centric warfare concepts, adopted a doctrine that had been inherent in German armies since the 19th Century and that was highlighted in particular in WWII.

The name of this doctrine please and what it actually is.

Doctrine - Auftragstaktik (excuse the spelling), Mission Tactics or Directive Control

In mission-type tactics the commander gives their subordinate leaders a clearly defined goal and the resources needed to accomplish that goal with a time within which the goal must be reached. The subordinates then implement the order independently. The subordinate leader is given, to a large extent, the planning initiative and a freedom in execution which allows flexibility in execution.

Well done Monty, correct!

In the US Field Manual 100-5, which initially set out the AirLand Battle doctrine of the 1980s, it is stated that the German Army principle of Auftragstaktik, the ability of subordinate leaders in combat to act independently in the changing battle within the context of the overall plan, would be adopted. It was felt that this would give the US military the flexibility needed to cope with a rapidly changing and fluid battlefield. The doctrine was carried over into the AirLand Battle's successor and the current US military doctrine, the Network-centric warfare concept that makes heavy use of information technology.

Your turn.

Thanks, however I don't have a suitable question right at the moment so I will open it up to anyone unless I can find come up with one beforehand.

seeing that MontyB needs some time to think and has opened up the floor, i think i'll toss one out there:

on 6 June 1944, out of the Canadians, British, and Americans, who moved the farthest off the beachs on the first day?

Last edited:
seeing that MontyB needs some time to think and has opened up the floor, i think i'll toss one out there:

on 6 June 1944, out of the Canadians, British, and Americans, who moved the farthest off the beachs on the first day?

Hmm interesting question, looking at the maps it would appear to be a fairly close call between the British and Canadians so I will toss a coin and say the British.
:)

If nothing else I have increased the odds of the next person getting it right.

PS I thoroughly recommend visiting the Canadian war museum web site

http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/newspapers/operations/p_ddaymap_e.html

Last edited:
Back