WWII Quiz

Who had both legs amputated after his plane crash in 1931. Everyone thought his flying career was over but he re-joined the RAF when war broke out and learnt to fly with false legs. In 1941, after a collision with a German plane, he bailed out over France but had to leave one of his false legs behind. He became a prisoner of war and the RAF was able to parachute him a new leg (thanks to an agreement of safe conduct from the Luftwaffe). For the rest of the war, HE sought to escape from various German prisoner of war camps.

Any takers? this one should be easy:9mm:

Who was the last commander of the Polish Anti-German underground home army, and what country executed him?

Gen. Bor-Komorowski transferred to Gen. Leopold Okulicki after the Warsaw uprising. As far as I know they both survived the war, so it cannot be either of these.

At a guess I would say the Soviets executed the person you are referring to

I think it depends greatly on who you use as your sources as there seems to be a few uncertainties as to his fate.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The imprisonment of the five most senior defendants automatically removed them from the list of candidates best qualified for the future Polish Government of National Unity. The rest withdrew as a result of their Lubijanka experiences. That must have been the precise purpose of the operation. General Ivanov and Colonel Pimenov were in fact senior NKVD officials and not Red Army officers. Gen. Ivanov was the pseudonym of Gen. Ivan Serov who was responsible for security at the rear of the Red Army. At the trial Gen. Okulicki objected to the abduction, but the Chairman of the Tribunal simply said the prisoners had been tricked by the NKVD. According to official information, the three most senior prisoners died in Soviet prisons, but there is evidence that Gen. Okulicki was executed on December 24, 1946 in Lubijanka prison. During the whole of April the Soviets maintained they had no connection with the disappearance of the Sixteen, until on May 4, 1945 Molotov admitted at a UN conference that they had been arrested by the Red Army.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

http://felsztyn.tripod.com/id21.html

[/FONT]

Antwerp. (I assume you mean successful launch). There were failed launches against other cities but they never reached their target.

Last edited:
mmarsh

This is not the information I have. Both the failures and first successful hit were aimed at the same city

mmarsh

This is not the information I have. Both the failures and first successful hit were aimed at the same city

The only other option then is Paris. But I thought that while the Germans did deploy it against Paris they never had a successful launch due to the fact they were still working out the bugs with the V-2. These were solved, but then the unit firing the V-2 was then redeployed to target Antwerp.

I will have to double-check this, its certainly possible I am wrong.

Back