WWII Quiz

Sorry about that TomTom, I really did not see it for some reason. IIRC, the RdeM was also in the second wave. The regiment to which I was referring was the Fusiliers de Montreal, who were in the first wave, but had the unexpected fortune to have had relatively little resistance, so little is written about their role in the battle. Later on, as they marched up towards and past Caen, they saw a lot more action. With that, i will give the next question to TomTom, because that was a really good answer, and also because I feel a bit guilty about not answering you earlier.

Dean.

Last edited:
Go for it, MM, it seems that Tomtom is gone for a bit...

How about we institute a fixed period of time after the correct answer is confirmed (i.e. two days) where the forum becomes open for new questions, that way we can avoid these issues?

I am sure CK could edit his original post and put in the agreed number as sort of a rule.

How about we institute a fixed period of time after the correct answer is confirmed (i.e. two days) where the forum becomes open for new questions,

This seems sensible, similarily for the picture quiz.

What ship achieved the longest range gun hit from a moving ship to a moving target?

OK clue time

This is a ship to ship hit.

I would guess that the ship in question probably saw more major battles and was seriously damaged on more occasions than any other.

Last edited by a moderator:
What ship achieved the longest range gun hit from a moving ship to a moving target

Ok I promised I would wait 2 days before trying to answer so here goes.

HMS Warspite at the battle of Calabria hit the Italian battleship Giulio Cesare at a range of roughly 26000 yards.

Correct Monty

What a tragedy this ship wasn't saved as a monument to the brave men of the RN in WW1 & WW2. It's astonishing to read the number of engagements it was involved in ranging from Jutland to Normandy. It even refused the breakers yard by breaking free!

Sorry about the double post.

Correct Monty

What a tragedy this ship wasn't saved as a monument to the brave men of the RN in WW1 & WW2. It's astonishing to read the number of engagements it was involved in ranging from Jutland to Normandy. It even refused the breakers yard by breaking free!

Sorry about the double post.

Yep it had an amazing career it probably would have made a good monument.

Ok well this should be very easy:
What ship was involved in the capture of the German Enigma machine?

The last Cavalry charge in history took place on August 23, 1942, at Izbushensky on the River Don. The Italian Savoia Cavalry Regiment, commanded by Colonel Bettoni, and consisting of 600 mounted Italian troops, charged against 2,000 Soviet troops who had opened a breach between the German 6th Army and the Italian Army. The Italian Lancers destroyed two Soviet Infantry armoured vehicles before being forced to withdraw with slight losses, about thirty-two casualties.

Source: http://members.iinet.net.au/~gduncan/1942.html

Well, look at that:
http://www.chakoten.dk/polryt07.html

Two polish cavalry squadrons from the 1. Samodzielna Warzawska Brygada Kawalerii (1st Warsaw cavalry brigade ) on March 1, 1945, at West Pomerania, commanded by Lieutenant Spisacki and Lieutenant Starak, charged against German troops.

What American General requested that bombing runs be conducted parallel to one side of a road rather than perpendicular to it, so his soldiers could remain safe on the other side? He was ignored by the air chiefs resulting in the deaths of many soldiers.

What was the Air forces excuse for not doing this?

What major ground offensive did this precede or support?

Last edited:
What American General requested that bombing runs be conducted parallel to one side of a road rather than perpendicular to it, so his soldiers could remain safe on the other side? He was ignored by the air chiefs resulting in the deaths of many soldiers.

What was the Air forces excuse for not doing this?

What major ground offensive did this precede or support?

Well I guess I will start the ball rolling...
My initial guess will be:

General Omar Bradley.
The aircraft were already in the air and couldnt recalled (This one I am less sure about).
Operation COBRA.

Mostly correct Monty, it was Omar Nelson Bradley and operation Cobra. (Hence the clue in the picture competition with the same answer).

However, the air planners said it would take too long for all the planes to get into position for a parallel run. Perhaps the root cause was the attitude of the air force to a foot slogging General.

Perhaps we should leave this forum open for questions

Mostly correct Monty, it was Omar Nelson Bradley and operation Cobra. (Hence the clue in the picture competition with the same answer).

However, the air planners said it would take too long for all the planes to get into position for a parallel run. Perhaps the root cause was the attitude of the air force to a foot slogging General.

Yeah the reason was always going to be problem I just couldn't seem to find anything that gave a definitive answer, most sources just said that Bradley demanded answers and left it at that.

Perhaps we should leave this forum open for questions

Works for me.
:)

Back