WWII Quiz

As I said I think others (as I was) were looking for an overall campaign name for the entire central pacific campaign which I think totaled about 11ish different operations and thus over looked the one for the Gilbert Islands.

Anyway I would like to pass on asking the next question as my connection is a bit hit and miss (the wife sect is on the verge of civil war :p). So anyone that wants to can ask the next question.

What was the operational name given to the U.S. invasion of the Marianas Islands (Guam, Saipan and Tinian) to secure bases for B-29 attacks on the Japanese home islands.

Who was this small group of people?

In 1941, the US Government viewed persons of 'enemy ancestry' as potentially dangerous. Their civil liberties were completely ignored, their families torn apart and sent to different internment camps, their assets frozen for the duration of the war. Upon release, all internees (31,280) were sworn to secrecy and threatened with deportation if ever they spoke of their ordeal. Many returned to their former homes only to find the houses vandalized, the contents stolen or damaged. These people were never compensated and even today, do not speak of their treatment at the hands of their Government.

That's it, German Americans, either naturalized or born here. My family claimed Dutch heritage and our surname shows up in Slovenia, France, The Netherlands, but mostly Germany. The Americans deported to Germany were usually killed as spies, no one knows an accurate body count, only the number who were freed from Nazi prison camps at the end of the war and returned to nothing.

http://www.foitimes.com/internment/gasummary.htm
WWII Violations of German American Civil Liberties by the US Government

Introduction. German Americans are the largest ethnic group in the US. Approximately 60 million Americans claim German ancestry. German American loyalty to America's promise of freedom traces back to the Revolutionary War. Nevertheless, during World War II, the US government and many Americans viewed German Americans and others of "enemy ancestry" as potentially dangerous, particularly recent immigrants. The Japanese American WWII experience well known. Few, however, know of the European American WWII experience, particularly that of the German Americans.

During WWII, the US Government interned at least 11,000 persons of German ancestry. By law, only "enemy aliens" could be interned. However, with governmental approval, their family members frequently joined them in the camps. Many such "voluntarily" interned spouses and children were American citizens. Internment was frequently based upon uncorroborated, hearsay evidence gathered by the FBI and other intelligence agencies. Homes were raided and many ransacked. Fathers, mothers and sometimes both were arrested and disappeared. Sometimes children left after the arrests had to fend for themselves. Some were placed in orphanages.

No internee was ever convicted of a war-related crime against the United States. Upon release, most adult internees sign secrecy oaths, many are threatened with deportation with no prospect of return if they speak of their ordeal. Many internees, always fearful, take the secret to their graves. Reportedly, camp employees also sign oath of secrecy. The secret is well kept. Few today know of selective internment.

Internees and excludees return home to suspicious communities, some have been interned 6-7 years. Children do not remember life without barbed wire. Homes and livelihoods are lost. Reputations destroyed. No safety net protects them. They confront feelings of confusion, anger, resentment, bitterness, guilt and shame. They try to understand what happened and repair broken lives.

The experience scarred families forever. Those exchanged to Germany struggled to survive in the extremely difficult postwar years. Some exchangees returned to the US years later. Frequently, American-born children left their families behind in order to do so. Many never were allowed to return. Others, embittered by what they perceived as America's betrayal, never wanted to come back.

Last edited:
Back