WWII Quiz

These questions are getting quite tough Doppleganger, perhaps if no-one has answered within a day it's worthwhile giving some extra clues, may I suggest the theatre of war and the time period in this case?

They are meant to be tough, although I thought this one wasn't overly so. ;)

Ok clues. It was the Western Theatre and the time period was 1939-45. Also, the Operation is named after the area where the action took place. One additional note of trivia, the officer in command ordered a herd of pigs into a field to set off a suspected minefield. This action reduced the morale of the soldiers in question.

Ok nobody's getting it.

The answer was 'Operation Saar', launched by France against the Saarrucken region of Germany on September 7th, 1939. AFAIK all the KIA casualties were caused by mines and booby trapped buildings. The attack was called off on September 12th after the French 3rd, 4th and 5th Armies under Maurice Gamelin had advanced just 5 miles. The Germans never counter-attacked because they didn't have to. Besides, they were a little busy elsewhere at the time.

The following link gives a little info but I got the main details offline.

http://militaryhistory.about.com/b/a/207534.htm

Doppleganger

Yes it was probably easier than it looked, I gave up when you 'narrowed' the time period! although I have been out on that score before!

I think it is customary to ask another question if no-one has answered your previous one

Regards

Correct, it was Gerd von Runstedt! Over to you Boris.
Only 3 female pilots have been flying the battle sorties in IL-2 "Sturmovik" during WWII.
Only one has survived. She has made 177 sorties, plus 100 more in light night bomber Po-2.
What is the name of this extraordinary woman?

Interesting stuff Boris, It's incredible how successful some of those Soviet women pilots were. The night ground attack groups were known as the night witches by those on the receiving end!

Next question

Which was the largest prisoner of war breakout in WW2 (the largest prison breakout ever in fact), why was this kept secret until after the war?

As a bonus name a similar incident in a nearby country.

Last edited:
Correct Monty, I expected a quick answer from yourself, but I am surprised you didn't get the bonus! Any idea?

Your turn anyway

Correct Monty, I expected a quick answer from yourself, but I am surprised you didn't get the bonus! Any idea?

Your turn anyway

My answer to the bonus question is not what you perhaps want to hear, the camp Featherston revolt was not entirely the fault of the Japanese and to some degree later investigations believe that the event was due to very poor communication on our behalf and a couple of over zealous guards.

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/classroom/event-featherston

Ok heres a really easy question:

What was unusual about Germany's declaration of war on the USA.

If your all wondering:

Another 'incident' happened at a Japanese P.O.W. camp at Featherstone, New Zealand, resulting in the death of 48 Japanese and wounding 74 more.

Obviously Monty has a lot more detail than my source (again)!

Hehe I am reasonably lucky in terms of WW2 literature as my father (late in the war) and uncles fought through it and horded books, posters, leaflets etc. which I still have.
The information is usually interesting and sometimes conflicts with modern views as it hasnt been affected by revisionism.

Anyway I have my easy question up there.

Back