WWII Quiz

Katyusha multiple rocket launchers are a type of rocket artillery built and fielded by the Soviet Union beginning in the Second World War. They are multiple rocket launchers able to deliver a devastating amount of explosives to an area target in a short period of time, although with low accuracy, and then take a relatively long period of time to reload. Compared to other types of artillery, they are fragile but inexpensive. Katyushas of World War Two, the first self-propelled artillery mass-produced by the Soviet Union, were usually mounted on trucks.

Team Infidel said:
Katyusha multiple rocket launchers are a type of rocket artillery built and fielded by the Soviet Union beginning in the Second World War. They are multiple rocket launchers able to deliver a devastating amount of explosives to an area target in a short period of time, although with low accuracy, and then take a relatively long period of time to reload. Compared to other types of artillery, they are fragile but inexpensive. Katyushas of World War Two, the first self-propelled artillery mass-produced by the Soviet Union, were usually mounted on trucks.
Team Infidel,
is this your answer?
It's too general....

Since WWII...

The success and economy of multiple rocket launchers (MRL) have led them to continue to be developed. During the Cold War, the Soviet Union fielded several models of Katyushas, notably the BM-21 launchers fitting the stereotypical Katyusha mould, and the larger BM-27. Katyushas were exported to Afghanistan, Angola, Czechoslovakia, Egypt, East Germany, Hungary, Iran, North Korea, Poland, Syria, and Vietnam. They were also built in Czechoslovakia, North Korea, and Iran. Israel captured BM-24 MRLs during the Six-Day War (1967), used them in two battalions during the Yom Kippur War (1973) and the 1982 Lebanon War, and later developed the MAR-240 launcher for the same rockets, based on a Sherman tank chassis. Western nations also employ MRLs, but they tend to be more complex and expensive systems, such as the U.S. M270 MLRS. For a more complete list of systems, see artillery rockets, in the list of artillery.
Advances in artillery munitions have been applied to some Katyusha-type multiple launch rocket systems, including bomblet submunitions, remotely-deployed land mines, and chemical warheads.
In recent history, Katyusha rockets have been used by Russian forces during the Second Chechen War and Armenian and Azerbaijani forces during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. Katyushas have also been used outside of Russia and the former Soviet republics, in particular by the Hezbollah Lebanese militia in bombardment of Israel before and especially during the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict. The equipment used included BM-21-derived launchers and, notably, longer-ranged Fajr-3 rockets were directed towards many northern Israeli towns, including Haifa and Nazareth.

Boris, the question is too general. Katyushas were used during WW2 from the time they were fielded right up to the end of the war against the Japanese in China. If you are referring to a specific battle, could you please re-phrase the question?
Thanks.

Dean.

Dean said:
Boris, the question is too general. Katyushas were used during WW2 from the time they were fielded right up to the end of the war against the Japanese in China. If you are referring to a specific battle, could you please re-phrase the question?
Thanks.

Dean.

Dean,

I am sorry, but I see nothing too general in my question!
I was asking about "Katujsha" rockets, not just any missiles!
To me that means Soviet made rockets, not the German nor American ones!
Team Infidel has understood the question perfectly, but has been too general("the beginning of WWII").
Should I say "Name of the unit, date and time of the first application" instead "When and Where"?

boris116 said:
Am I to be the next then?

If yes, I have an easy question:
When and where the "Katjusha" rockets have been used in battle?
Hmm well all I can find quickly says:
First used July 7 1941 (although another source says 14 July at the same location)
Location Orsha in Belarus.

Last edited:
Ok then something pretty basic to get the ball rolling:

What was unusual about HMS Thunderbolt?

She was a sub that sank during her trials as the HMS Thetis. She was then salvaged and re-commissioned as the the HMS Thunderbolt.

Dean.

Dean said:
She was a sub that sank during her trials as the HMS Thetis. She was then salvaged and re-commissioned as the the HMS Thunderbolt.

Dean.

Yep, all yours.

An easy one...

Who was the best known German tank designer, and what was he better known for?

Dean.

Last edited:
perseus said:
Ferdinand Porsche who is best known for designing the original Volkswagen Beetle.
You forgot the Doctor Ferdinand, but I'll give it to you anyway.

Go for it, Perseus.

Dean

What ship did the Lenin and Stalin help and accompany during the early part of its journey in August 1940? What was its purpose?

As a bonus name some of the diverse range of items the ship was carrying which provided a clue to its planned route.

Last edited:
perseus said:
What ship did the Lenin and Stalin help and accompany during the early part of its journey in August 1940? What was its purpose?

As a bonus name some of the diverse range of items the ship was carrying which provided a clue to its planned route.

it was the German raider "Komet" under Capt. Eyssen.
It has made the North-East Sea route(from Barentz Sea to Bering Sea) with the help of Soviet icebreakers "Lenin" and "Stalin".
After that, it went to Japan and become a raider, has sunk several Dutch, British and ANZAC ships, then returned to Germany in November 1941.
Stalin has given his approval for this deal to help the Germans who paid almost a million DM.

"the "Komet" raider with a displacement of 7500 t, armed with six 5.9-inch guns, six AA guns and six torpedo tubes joined the ranks. Besides, "Komet" carried two hydroplanes, a torpedo boat and 270 mines"

http://www.argo.net.au/andre/raiderKOMETENFIN.htm

Correct, in the first part anyway I obtained the information from the same site, but it was this part which amused me

Various equipment might have allowed the ship to operate in all possible environments. Amongst it there were a sledge, fur clothes, tropical uniform, mosquito nets and even toys for inhabitants of remote Pacific islands

On the 30th of November (1941) "Komet" arrived (back home) in Hamburg. I wonder if they requested help from the Russians for the return journey by the same route in summer 1941? :p

Your turn Boris

Last edited:
Thanks, Perseus!

The next question:
Who was the intermediary for the Stalin's attempt to reach a separate peace with Germany in 1941?

Back