WW-2 C-47 rammed by Japanese aircraft

EMBLEMHUNTER

Hello,I have seen a black and white photo of a USAAF C-47 that had the upper center section of it's fuselage taken out by a japanese fighter I believe it was an KI-43, anyway I am trying to find out what Squadron this C-47 was from, it has an emblem just aft of the cockpit of an American Indian running and holding a Tomahawk in raised hand, he's wearing breeches and moccasin shoes,the overall design is on a round background.
Anyone who can help with this emblem/unit ID Please contact me direct at my e mail, thank you very much !!!!!!
WeBeEmblems@aol.com
I have been trying to find a lead on this one for some years now, hope someone of the site can help Finally close the book on it !:bang:

Ditto, I know of two photos of a C-47 that had survived a kamikaze attack. The first looks like it has a tear just behind the cockpit, almost as if the plane was about to be decapitated. The other photo is C-47 with a enormous hole (big enough for a car to drive through) in the ceiling. Both aircraft are photographed on the ground.

From my description, do you know which photo you are describing?

The photo I'm describing has a good portion of the upper fuselage top totally ripped out above the passenger area and it's on the ground, but it has a large emble near the cockpit area I'm trying to find an ID to, (American Indian running with tomahawk)
Johnny

I believe this may be the picture but unfortunately it's too small to really make out a lot of detail

AAF%20C-47%20after%20being%20attacked%20by%20a%20Zero.jpg

P.S. I found it here www.offthemall.com/Military/planes/ulthm.htm

Last edited:
That's the image !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe this may be the picture but unfortunately it's too small to really make out a lot of detail

AAF%20C-47%20after%20being%20attacked%20by%20a%20Zero.jpg

P.S. I found it here www.offthemall.com/Military/planes/ulthm.htm
Yes , this is the aircraft I'm talking about, it is of an American Indian with a headband/feather wearing a pair of breeches,a waist cloth facing to the right in a running pose and holding in upright arm/hand a traditional indian Tomahawk , I'm trying to find out what unit/Squadron this aircraft was with and hopefully colors/details to this emblem!
Johnny

Here is a bigger picture of it

douglas-c-47-skytrain-transport-03_zps8d5e091f.png

Given that the '1' on the tail appears to be in a diamond and the incident took place in Burma my first instinct would be to look at a squadron of the 1st Air Commando, however the Indian is in my opinion nose art so it may be impossible to trace.

Here is a bigger picture of it

douglas-c-47-skytrain-transport-03_zps8d5e091f.png

Given that the '1' on the tail appears to be in a diamond and the incident took place in Burma my first instinct would be to look at a squadron of the 1st Air Commando, however the Indian is in my opinion nose art so it may be impossible to trace.

That image certainly shows the emblem a lot better (clear enough to see that the badge I found is not the same emblem). From here I'd recommend searching through squadron emblems for the the Pacific Theatre of Operations.

The thing about this aircraft that intrigues me is that there is nothing about its markings that make any sense.
I am wondering whether it isn't a "special duties" aircraft and this would stack up given that the other C-47 to survive a ramming attack has all its details available (so why doesn't this one), I have seen the picture with a squadron attached however the squadron never existed until the Korean war so I am not sure what to make of it or how to proceed.

Yeah , this one is a real curiosity to say the least , I'm still thinking the emblem is a "unit" one , but again most likely "Unofficial" which makes for a difficult time figuring it out and as we can see it still "eludes" us as t even what unit the C-47 was with, even if it turns out to be just "noser art" , I'd still like to find out it's unit ............

Thanks to all that have given it a shot so far , hopefully we'll get it nailed down sometime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny

This link says it's from the 1st Troop Carrier Group. (but Wikipedia says that unit did not serve in WWII but Korea), but here I found a 1st Troop Carrier Squadron

here's a picture from the book, American Warplanes of World War II, edited by David Donald.
attachment.php

The Army Air Force Markings on the fuselage is the one with "wings" so this picture is made in or after september 1943.

Back